Electronic powder dispenser/measure/scale combo?

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Anybody using one?
If so please share your experiences,likes and dislikes.

I've been toying with the idea for several years now,just haven't spent the money.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

I've had two over the years, first one was the Lyman 1200 IIRC, it worked once and never worked again. So I took it back to the store I bought it from and got my money back. I have a buddy who uses this model and he loves it.

When I got a 20% off cupon for an order of $100 or more from Cabela's I orederd my second dispenser. It is the older RCBS Chargemaster, that PACT now builds. While my dispenser is RCBS my scale is a Pact. I've had it for several years now, and once calibrated it works great. Great tool for measuring several different powder charges for load work.

Now I just need a chrony and all my load development would be better. I don't use the dispenser all the time but the scale is used quite often. Weighing bullets, powder, and cases. Once I've developed a load I use my powder thrower to load up on ammo and use the scale every 5-10 rounds to make sure my thrower is still accurate.

My major dislikes with both of the dispensers I used was trying to load up ammunition in bulk. Once you have established a load they are slow to dispense when compared to a thrower. Plus you have to shake them to make sure you get all the powder out of them as it gets hung up in the dispenser tubes at times. Other than that I woudn't go back to a beam scale and powder trickler again for working up loads.

I use the RCBC Charge Master. It works great. As fast as I can dump a charge and seat a bullet, the next charge is ready. Since I do a variety of cartridges, it is very handy. I had one glitch after two years and just out of warranty necessitating a new board. $45 plus shipping and it was back at my house (in Canada, no less) within a couple of weeks.

My vote is for Pact as it is the only one not made in china and the only one with a lifetime warranty

Wouldn't be without my RCBS 1500. Like Mike by the time I am through seating a bullet in a case previously powder charged, the scale has dinged and the next load is ready to dump.

Took powder charging from drudgery to pleasant. Great for weighing bullets and cases also.

I have one of the first RCBS units where the dispenser & scale are separate - It does ok, but very slow.
I've had the new Lyman unit now for about a year and no complaints. Just as Dr Mike stated, by the time I have the bullet seated, powder is dispensed and waiting on me generally.

nitis":3kc3ez2b said:
My vote is for Pact as it is the only one not made in china and the only one with a lifetime warranty

That's where I was leaning cause after all they are a Texas based company.
Used one of their shot timers for years back when I was shooting metal and IPSC matches.

I knew they built the RCBS units but I didn't know they had a lifetime warranty.
Thank you Sir!

I really like mine. It is not faster, but it allows me to seat bullets, check for runout or just relax while it is measuring. Made me a lot faster!
RCBS< and I hope it is made by Pact, but I have no way of knowing. BTW< this is the second one that I have owned.

Back