Elk Burger & Grilled Potatoes

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
It's grill and smoke season in the Great White North. I decided to put dinner on the Traeger last evening. It was a hit, so I thought I'd share with you guys. I had a couple of pounds of elk burger that I thawed and god ready. I made several large patties, sprinkling them with Worcestershire sauce and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I made a small indentation in each burger with a large spoon and filled the indentation with Tex-Mex cheese blend (Mozzarella, Cheddar and Monterey Jack). I covered each cheesed-up patty with a second patty and sealed the edges. Again, I sprinkled Worcestershire and Cavender's on each patty. I covered each with a couple of strips of bacon. They were ready for the grill. I added several potatoes coated with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkled liberally with coarse sea salt. I placed the patties on a sheet of foil on the grill of the Traeger and put the potatoes on the grill. The grill was set on medium heat for about fifty minutes, using oak pellets. I sat down in a patio chair and read a couple of issues of Legion magazine that had been ignored and the latest issue of American Rifleman and let the meal smoke itself. I added a nice tossed salad and when Mama came home at six, we had a meal fit for a king. The simplicity of the meal was a real bonus for me. I don't know it she was thrilled by my culinary abilities or simply by the fact that she didn't have to cook, but I did score well. We old guys have to do whatever it takes to keep the lady happy!

Sounds like a very tasty meal DrMike and your right about keeping the Ladies happy. I also cook every so often like tonight we had a casserole that I made from 90% lean ground Angus.
Took a pound of thawed ground beef and browned in a skillet with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper celery seed and sweet basil, one sliced whole sweet onion one large green bell pepper sliced in small pieces also scrape the seeds of the pepper off the heart and add to the mix for extra flavor, fold into beef while browning. Add 8-12 oz of can tomatoes chopped , I like to use my own cold packed or open kettle tomatoes, liberally add some tobasco sauce to bring out the flavor. On the side have some type of noodle or pasta cooking till about half done then add to the skillet and fold into the mixture and simmer till done.
Couldn't help myself DrMike didn't mean to steal your thread.

Great post Dr. Mike... Sounds very good.. I may have to try something like this with beef but my wife and I feel elk burgers are too good to mask the natural flavor of the elk..with more than extra virgin olive oil.

Leftovers were excellent, as well. I didn't season the meat heavily--just enough to lend a measure of spice. Next time, I'm thinking I may core a jalapeño, stuff it with Monterey Jack and hide it on the interior of each burger. Now, that would be a treat! (y)

We ate them before there was opportunity to take pictures. :oops: I'll try to remember to snap a few photos next time, David. :grin:

6mm Remington":24c70blv said:
Where's the pictures?? What is this site without photographs! Sounds good Mike.

David,

Mama came up with a few pictures. I didn't realise she had taken any. Unfortunately, they were of a pork loin that I did a couple of nights earlier. Still, I thought they would be interesting. It was made with Dr. Mike's secret pork rub.

Here is the pork loin on the grill.

Here's the master chef and his sou chef inspecting the meat. Consequently, my sou chef is spraying apple juice on the loin to keep it moist. Man, was it ever good.

And here's the group enjoying the fruits of the afternoon's labour.

Oh, well, it is close, even if it isn't burgers.

DrMike, I am sure looking forward to a couple of those delicious meals when gerry & I get up there in a couple of months. I am likely going to have to take up jogging to try to keep my weight down :shock:.
Thank you for sharing it looks like a great time was had by your guests.

Blessings,
Dan

There won't be time for cooking, Dan. We're going to be hunting! (y) Consequently, it looks as if this will be the last year for some time for the early hunt. That August hunt will be curtailed after this year. :?

That is fine by me Mike :wink:. Is that early Moose season that good, why would they want to lessen the amount of hunting days?

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike, I meant the cooking part not the hunting part.
Thank you for all that has been done so far.

Blessings,
Dan

That looks to be a fine meal with good companions.
I'm thinking I may need to drive up nort and get fattened up. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DrMike":2i3r0kud said:
Come on up, Vince. We always need porters. :mrgreen:
LOL!

I'd love to take advantage of the hospitality some day.

Vince":3uenv3m2 said:
DrMike":3uenv3m2 said:
LOL!

You'd always find a warm welcome, Vince. I may yank your chain, but I'm reasonably friendly. :grin:

DrMike":1pw0jznf said:
Vince":1pw0jznf said:
DrMike":1pw0jznf said:
LOL!

You'd always find a warm welcome, Vince. I may yank your chain, but I'm reasonably friendly. :grin:
Of that I'm assured. :)

Enjoy a blessed and glorious Fourth, Vince. Remember the freedoms enjoyed were purchased at a cost.

DrMike":26hiow67 said:
Enjoy a blessed and glorious Fourth, Vince. Remember the freedoms enjoyed were purchased at a cost.
Thank you sir.
I'll be saying a prayer of thanks for the freedoms, and blessings, I have.

Back