Elk hunting tips

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Hello, how is everybody?
Life is still very busy up North here, but I'm taking a few days to go up to Grande Prarie to hunt elk. i've never hunted elk and haven't had time to scout or anything. Is there anything a guy has to know that is different than hunting other deer species?? Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Rifles are a 300 win and a 338LM other than that we'll be in WMU 356.

I've been trying to get out there for 3 or 4 years now, this may be a waste of time, but at least I'll have a better idea next year. The area is mostly public land, bag limit is 1 antlered 3 point or larger.

The biggest issue with elk hunting is the fact that they often are not where you think that they are. Locating and keeping track of a herd location from one day to the next is an issue with any pressure from hunters at all. They can move 15 miles overnight.

I haven't hunted 356, though I've driven through on the parkway many times. It does have elk, however, in good numbers. I believe you'll have more success calling than in simply hunting blind. The elk are vocal right now and the bulls are aggressive. Scout the food sources and set up downwind early to allow for surveying the herd and getting a decent shot. The herds tend to graze early and late, much like deer. Certainly, there is movement midday, but the primary grazing will be during the evening hours. Scent control is a must with elk. They may ignore what their eyes tell them, but they will not ignore their nose. Best of luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the input Mike. I want to try to hunt midridge or higher on the cutouts. We'll be using the logging roads, so there are alot of hills that are stripped for up to a couple km. Other than trying to keep the wind in our favor and calling a bit we'll try to sit and call or just sit early and late, and maybe try to find a waterhole midday. Scouting would've been very advamtagouse, season is here anyway.

Keep an eye open for fresh sign of elk (fresh droppings, fresh tracks, rubs, wallows, etc.). This will give you some direction as to where you can set up. Listen for bugles, which can be at any time of the day. It'll tell you where the elk are at the moment. Best of luck in the hunt.

DrMike is right on. You've got to find where they are now. If pressured or pushed they will move and unlike deer they won't circle back when they feel safe. They aren't as territorial as deer and one drainage looks as good as another to them. One thing I've found is that when covering several drainages I tend to find elk at about the same altitude.
Good hunting
Greg

My tip to you is to be in your chosen location at very first light and stay till very last light.
This will require after dark travel, and sometimes fairly long distances. Lots of people will not.
Which is exactly why it works.
When you do it right the hammer falls right at first legal shooting time, or shortly after.
I've been lucky enough to do this about a half dozen times.
Testicles of steel may be required in grizzly country.

If you can hear em or smell them and you are moving, you are moving to fast. Elk hunting starts long before daylight and ends well after dark. If you are in the sun get in the shade, stay high, stay in the shadows, be quiet, binoculars are your friend. Do not cross openings unless you have to, eat your lunch in the woods, sleep after, find a high point to glass from before dark. Watch the wind and keep the sun at your back if possible. If you are right handed when you stop walking stop with your left foot forward, look around you 360 degrees not just to the front. 10 steps and then stop, wait and watch, time and patience are your friend. Listen and smell and watch, keep your rifle off of your shoulder, you can't shoot with it there. If you see an elk check sex with your scope, not binoculars or your eyes.
Just my .02

"Testicles of Steel" in grizzly country. "Your binoculars are your friend". :lol:

My friend (the 10x42's) turned and ran once - he was just worthless when the grizz got curious.

One serious suggestion is to have some sort of hearing enhancement - muffs, Game Ear, like that. It helps me be more patient and content to sit longer in one spot. You get tired of staring at the same stuff, but sounds are all new.
As the senses fade with age, these things help. I also suggest taking a younger person for the same reasons. When everything they say starts with "Did you" followed by "see/hear/smell that?" then you know you have an excuse to share the outdoors. Sometimes they'll carry a coffee thermos if you treat 'em right. :lol: :lol:
EE2

Good luck justin and do not forget to by a mulie tags aswell. My ol man has worked in that neck of the woods and while it's a big area he says there are a few acsesible elk along the little smokey river. Now for a throw back on some history that you are probably not that interseted in, My great granddads brother has a river in that neck of the woods named after him. The hudson bay hired him as a doctor and scientist, in the late 1800's and he along with some others done a fair bit of exploring mapping and charting of that area. He was the doc for the trip aswell as the expert on flora and fauna. I plan on some day visiting that river and doing a hunt aswell. His brother (my great grandad) was a sod buster and our family settled here on the eastern side of the province, although travel was difficult a seasonal visit was ussually payed by brother DOC.

Weather, water, and moon cycles all effect the behavior of elk. The hotter it is, the higher they will go. On a hot year, you will often find them at the highest water.

The fuller the moon, the more they can feed at night, the less you will see then during the day. They will be in the dark timber digesting a belly full of grass.

A change in weather is your friend. It will move them around more, and give you an opportunity to catch them in the open.

Keep your rifle in your hands and your scope set to its lowest magnification. The sling is useful when you're packing out the meat. The higher magnification settings are useful when you spot game at long range and have all the time in the world to shoot. BT

Well, my hunting partner bailed on me again last minute. I usually hunt with my brothers who are also self employed, hence the schedule troubles. So, I cleaned up my loading room and shot my rifles a bit, horsed around with my calls again and spent some time with my boys. They're only 1 & 3 or I'd have hunting buddies already. All in all, not a bad set of days off, tomorrow back in the truck.

Quiet is golden. No cell phones, I pods, game boys nothing, I don't even carry change or shells in my pocket. Sling goes in my day pack, soft cotton or wool pants, no nylon jackets or windbreakers. They will catch on the brush and scrap or make a noise. I see guys in the woods with game calls, radios, binos, compasses, etc hanging from their neck. Most unnecessary in the dark woods.

I've seen elk along the Smokey. My hunting partner has taken goat in that area, and talks about going back to hunt elk. You should find plenty of game in the area. +1 on the suggestion to look for action on a mule deer. The area has a good population.

Back