Elk Rifle chambered for 338 Win Mag or 325 WSM

Nice rifle, JD! I'm a fan of the LSS series. My '06 started out as a Mountain Rifle LSS, then eventually got a regular sporter-profile PacNor barrel so it's sort of a regular LSS in a Mountain stock. Then I have a Model 7 LSS that I love, used to be 7mm-08 but now .358 Win. Killed a lot of blacktail with that rifle. And I have a 7mm-08 LSS. If they offered the regular 338 WM in an LSS, I'd have that too but I had to buy the XCR version. I was planning on buying a laminated stock for it, but it shoots so good I'd be a fool to mess with the thing!

The 2.5x8 is my favorite scope; I have 4 of them. Regular turrents though. One each on my '06, .358 Win, .325 WSM, and .338 WIn Mag. Three of mine are Vari-X's and one is the newer VX and the VX is noticably better, especially in low light, and then you can use the nice Leupold lens caps on the VX's too.

I'm pretty good with recoil too. I'd love to shoot a 338 UM sometime... but for my needs the regular 338 is plenty. With a good 338 in the safe I have no need for more power... if I was buying new again i'd at least consider a UM.

-jeff

My choice would be a 300 Win with 200 grain Accubonds. Unless, you are planning to shoot bullets in the range of 230-250 grain, you dont need a 338 or a 325. I believe, that a 300 Mag is better up to bullets in 200 grains and the 325/338 best with bullets of 225-250 grains. Some people believe that you need such a bullet for elk but in my own humble opinion and experience, a 200 grain is heavy enough. In most cases even a good 180 grain bullet would do, providing as always that you make a good shot.

elkslayer308":2ziohvyj said:
My choice would be a 300 Win with 200 grain Accubonds. Unless, you are planning to shoot bullets in the range of 230-250 grain, you dont need a 338 or a 325. I believe, that a 300 Mag is better up to bullets in 200 grains and the 325/338 best with bullets of 225-250 grains. Some people believe that you need such a bullet for elk but in my own humble opinion and experience, a 200 grain is heavy enough. In most cases even a good 180 grain bullet would do, providing as always that you make a good shot.

I agree with all that, and a 300 mag with 200's is a great elk caliber/bullet, but if the recoil of a 338 isn't a problem for a guy then I also believe it's the best choice for elk, with a 225-gn bullet. I mean, you aren't losing anything vs. the 300 mag with 200's, and you are gaining some bullet size.

A lot of it has to do with what elk a person is hunting, too. If it's a spike or cow tag I'd take my 30-06 and not worry about it. If it's a bull hunt, I like the extra margin a .338 gives you.

One thing- in my experience, a 338 and a .325 are NOT equivelant. The 325 is about halfway between a 30-06 and a 338 WM, at least mine is. Mine will push 200-gn bullets to 2820 fps or so, loaded HOT, so it's not the same as a 338 WM contrary to what Winchester says. Just a FYI.

-jeff

First off I'd like to have a .325WSM but the .338WM is a better all around Elk round. More power and a bigger hole plus you have the option of using "HEAVY MAG" loads that will garnish you another 100+ FPS. The .325 is to the .338 like the .308 is to the 30-06. They are almost equal untill you go up in bullet weight. And of course you have a whole lot more options in bullets and bullet weights with the .338. As far as recoil, I have a very light Savage in .338 and it's not near the recoil most duck and goose hunters think is just fine in their shotguns. So make yourself happy. They'll both take elk just fine with good shot placement.
Good Hunting :grin:

Greg Nolan":1spx92yg said:
First off I'd like to have a .325WSM but the .338WM is a better all around Elk round. More power and a bigger hole plus you have the option of using "HEAVY MAG" loads that will garnish you another 100+ FPS. The .325 is to the .338 like the .308 is to the 30-06. They are almost equal untill you go up in bullet weight. And of course you have a whole lot more options in bullets and bullet weights with the .338. As far as recoil, I have a very light Savage in .338 and it's not near the recoil most duck and goose hunters think is just fine in their shotguns. So make yourself happy. They'll both take elk just fine with good shot placement.
Good Hunting :grin:

Yeah, a buddy of mine once said "real elk rifles have .338 Win Mag stamped on the barrel"! There's some truth there, in the sense that it's probably the caliber best matched to the quarry. That said, I've hunted elk with a 45/70, 30-06, .358 Win, .338 Win mag, and .325 WSM so obviously, putting my money where my mouth is, I think for example that a 30-06 is just fine for elk... a 338 is just finer, that's all!

I value a compact rifle, so of the above calibers one of my first choices would be a compact .325 shooting 200-gn PT's or AB's. My BLR is all that and a lever gun to boot but I wouldn't carry it if I KNEW I was going to be on a stand looking over a canyon all day; it is harder to shoot from a rest. The other first choice is my .338 WM. I'd carry my 30-06 in a heartbeat if necessary, or perhaps it'd be my first choice for a cow tag even, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a bull tag. I'd LOVE to kill an elk with my little Model 7 .358 shooting 225-gn PT's, but that's limited to 250 yards or so and that's a bummer in open country... However, I have not a doubt that it would knock the hell out of any elk! That's a big bullet.

I agree about 338 Win Mag recoil- it's just not that bad. I was real worried about it -I won't own a rifle I don't like to shoot- and I told the gun shop guys to go ahead and laugh at me now 'cause I'm probably bringing this bad boy back due to the recoil! I was very pleasantly surprised; no big deal at all. I also agree about shotguns. My turkey gun kicks me WAY harder with the big magnum loads, than my 338 does. The 338 Win mag is a big push, not a punch.

I am considering putting a Jewell trigger on my 338, just because the dang thing is so accurate already that it seems worth it to do so. THAT really surprised me too. Hardest-kicking centerfire I own and it's just as accurate (under an inch at 100 yards) as my 30-06... what's not to love about the 338 Winchester Magnum! Right now I'm working on improving my longer-range hunting abilities (out to 400 yards tops, personally, is as far as I want to shoot at game) and the 338 is THE rifle for that, for elk, for me.

-jeff

i have heard alot about the 338 and the 325 but never shot one. i own a 270 win and that is the best gun a person can shoot in my opinion. my friend has one of the original 270 sako from finland and he has shot alot of elk and drops them in their tracks. and there is alot of choises of ammunition avalible right now. and the gun does not kick or anything and the bullet is flying almost 3100fps. if you are interested then give me an email at cycleboy91@hotmail.com then i can give you alot more information.

I'd go with the 325 WSM if these are the only two chamberings you're considering.

Elk aren't armor-plated and the bullets available will put down the elk if you do your job and place the bullets properly.

As for range, all of my experience has been shooting elk under 200 yards so I've yet to have a situation where I needed the extra oomph of the 338 WM.

As for practising under realistic hunting conditions using the ammo you'll hunt with, the 325 WSM still is a better choice as you'll be able to get more practice in before your shoulder tells you to quit.

The question of good ballistic coefficients is fine, but if hunting 200 or even 250 yards and under, an inch or 3 difference is not significant within these ranges. Now if you're comparing the 45-70 to the 325 WSM or 338 WM, then it would be significant.

Ultimately, you'll have to decide yourself what you're most comfortable with, based on the information you've received and dug up.

Good luck and have fun elk hunting!

Back