Elk rifle musings and 30-06 168 TTSX experience

I have only shot 3 cow elk, but many, many elk sized plains game. From the 30-06 to 300 mags, 338 winmags, 35 WAI , 340W and the 375 H&H, all were killed just fine....however...I noticed a distinct difference in the majority shot with 338 and up calibers. My favorite turned out to be the 35 WAI with either 250X or 200X ( I expect the 200 TTSX would be awesome too) up to 250yds or so, I couldn't tell any difference between the 35 WAI and the 338 Winmag. The 300 mag with 180XBT was awesome, it was also a heavy thumper, but the 35 WAI recoiled less, had less muzzle blast and felt better all in a lighter rifle ( which I like slim and trim for the way I hunt). "To me", a 375H&H in the older Mod 700 BDL SS felt as easy to shoot/handle as the Whelen AI, and much easier to handle than the same weight rifle in 338 WM. In a lwt 338, the 185 XLC was the cats meow on elk. So, if you have a 338 that "you shoot well in field positions" ( which if you drop back to the 185-210s should) you are carrying an awesome elk thumper! The only thing "better" is if you have a 340W or 338 RUM but "only" if you shoot it well. A 338 WM with the 185/210 is also just fine for deer and hogs too. I had no problem killing a Black Wildebeast at 347yds ( which is still not 400 by no means) with my old 35 WAI/200X but I was pushing it at 2970fps too. ( don't ask :shock: :eek: ) but it made a much bigger hole than a friends 300 WM/180XBT at same distance on big Gemsbuck. For 375yds and further, I have no experience. But a fatter caliber bullet gives them a "different look on their face" than a smaller one when big animals are shot! Good luck to you.

From previous reply ~
The differences I noticed between our two similar cartridges was this, the tsx passed through on both bulls (even at over 400 yards on the first). The interior damage was not as great and the animal did not expire as quickly. My buddies bulls did give it up more quickly (within a few steps or right were they stood) with the spire points, no exit so all the energy was deposited within the animal.

Sorry to butt in but I concur regarding being apprehensive about tsx bullets for Elk.
This last season I witnessed another hunter with similar pass through top of lungs and just a bit of a slow kill. Overall they have a great following but witnessing I just can not get myself to use coppers on a bull elk hunt unless in the pocket for a needed shoulder shot driver. I am in the middle of switching from 140 Accubonds to 150 AccuBond LR. I have all the confidence in the world with my regular Accubonds or Partition and just hope the 150 ABLR is as formidable.

Draftmule":xschoupi said:
From previous reply ~
The differences I noticed between our two similar cartridges was this, the tsx passed through on both bulls (even at over 400 yards on the first). The interior damage was not as great and the animal did not expire as quickly. My buddies bulls did give it up more quickly (within a few steps or right were they stood) with the spire points, no exit so all the energy was deposited within the animal.

Sorry to butt in but I concur regarding being apprehensive about tsx bullets for Elk.
This last season I witnessed another hunter with similar pass through top of lungs and just a bit of a slow kill. Overall they have a great following but witnessing I just can not get myself to use coppers on a bull elk hunt unless in the pocket for a needed shoulder shot driver. I am in the middle of switching from 140 Accubonds to 150 AccuBond LR. I have all the confidence in the world with my regular Accubonds or Partition and just hope the 150 ABLR is as formidable.

Thanks,

I can't really badmouth the TSX bullet, I have two dead bulls with them. And since all this talk about cartridges, bullets, size and all about degrees of overlap; my plan is to make adjustments where I can hoping to hedge my bets.

Slick bullet.
I agree, cool to see them offered.
Look kind of like the North Fork bullets.

Dwh7271":2zm0r3q6 said:
Slick bullet.
I agree, cool to see them offered.
Look kind of like the North Fork bullets.

I might have grabbed some to try :mrgreen:

Good to see those offered. I've wondered for some time why Federal didn't offer them. They were, at one time, one of my favourite bullets.

One thing I've always done with the TSX/TTSX is drive them fast and break shoulders. Do that and they will plow through the bones and completely wreck an animals chances of moving very far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back