Elk Rifle Zeroing 338WM and 210PT

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I figured since my elk hunt is about a month away, I should try and square away my Zero. I wanted to refine it to be a 275 yard zero which is about 3" high at 100, 2" low at 300, 13" low at 400 and 32" low at 500. All pretty manageable figures.

Anyhow, my load is 76.8 grains of RL19, CCI250, 210 PT and WW cases. The rifle is my Model 70 Alaskan with the Swaro 2.5x10 on it.

Anyhow, here is the target board for the evening.

I shot from Left to Right. First group was a little high, as I was shooting using a 6 O'Clock hold on the dot. So I clicked in 1 click left and 1 click down.

Shot the middle group.. I adjusted the scope 3 clicks, hoping to get them to plant right around the bottom of the bull.

Went a little too far with it, moved it back up 1 click, aimed at another dot I had on the paper, put it in the center. I said, good enough! The rifle shoots pretty well. I am really looking forward to seeing the PT lay the smack down..

Oh, here are a couple shots of my target at 275 through my spotter.. Used my Iphone to snap em.

First one was a little out of focus..

Love the Swaro Spotter, it is worth it's weight in gold.

I should be able to get out a little more for some practice time, but man, I am LOW on RL19. Talk about scary. Can't find the stuff anywhere..

I have a brand new 5lb jug. If you get too desperate I might be able to part with a few pounds if your driving through again.

IdahoCTD":1xzveu5e said:
I have a brand new 5lb jug. If you get too desperate I might be able to part with a few pounds if your driving through again.

Yeah, I'd love to.. But I need to be able to load them! HA!

OU812":2e4g6ha2 said:
Looks like you are all ready to go kill a bull Scotty.

I'm going to do my best Bill. It's between me and them Oregon elk at this point the rifle is doing what it needs to.

Looks real good Scotty!..I also did my final range work yesterday :) the .375 and 7mag are both ready for mr moose, 12 more days to go pal :twisted:

Lou

Scotty, you are laying those rounds in the kill zone at 275 yards. They should perform magical smack downs for you on elk! Good shooting and looks as though you are ready to carry the mail to a bull elk. I hope that you see some this year!

Your Swaro is doing its magic for you. My new HD 5 is delivering results for me on the .270 Win.

Good deal bud, looks like you're good to go! Looking forward to some pics of that 338 in the field again.

Good luck brother! I leave in 4-days! Think I will take the big guns but plan on taking mine with the little ol 30-06 and a 165 NP. Always loved the .338 and the 210 NP. Killed kritters like Thor's hammer!

Good luck guys the next couples of weeks looks to be real exciting.
Remember lots of stories & photos!!!
Blessings,
Dan

Scotty, I forgot to mention, I used this combo for moose in 2010,Deadly performance @200yds on a cow and calf moose.Good luck brother!

Lou

Scotty
They look very good to me, now all we have to do is get close enough to one. That should be the easy part, "right"?

Thanks fella's, I should have a chance to run it out to 400 and 500 this weekend and at verify the drops.

Back