Empty Chamber?

I agree with you, Shade. In the vehicle, (hunting) guns unloaded. Walking thru the woods, pre-dawn or after dark, mag loaded but empty chamber. On stand or moving during daylight, round chambered and safety on. As you say, hunting the heavy timber areas a lot can happen real quick. If you're out West in the open country where you can glass a deer from a mile away, different story. And, if I were hoofing it in steep, difficult terrain where I'm not likely to take any kind of a quick shot, I'd probably adjust to the conditions on the ground.

I am obviously in the minority, which never bothers me actually lol

I was taught to never carry a revolver with the hammer on a loaded chamber, so I dont. Same with an automatic, magazine is full but the pipe is empty. Like your son Guy, my shotgun is loaded but broken open. Same with double hunting Africa. However the gun bearer, who was usually carrying a larger caliber bolt did not have one chambered. The one exception to this was when we were looking for a wounded leopard, all rifles and shotguns were loaded.

And another exception was when dove hunting in Argentina all shotguns were loaded. This did bother me a bit, but from a different viewpoint. The young boys who picked up the birds and empties were darting all over the place.

Well I guess I am the odd man out as when I am walking by myself which is about 95% of the time I have a round in the chamber and my rifle on safety, our walks are normally 2 to 3 miles and I do not see another person until we get back to designated meeting place. When standing point with my Bogpod again I have round in the chamber with my weapon on safety as almost always the game is running when you see it and would likely not get off a shot if you chambered a round from the magazine.
In the vehicle our rifles are unloaded, the clips can be loaded but not in the weapon. (y)

Blessings,
Dan

It's very interesting to see that the responses were spilt between eastern style stand/still hunting and western style spot and stalk hunting...I think that's pretty significant in what folks deem good practice.

I can totally understand not having an empty chamber in a whitetail stand- things just happen fast. Of course it's pretty easy to maintain muzzle control when you're not doing a lot of moving around.

If I am where I may shoot, chamber loaded. Fences, vehicles, horses, camp, etc., chamber empty.

I have a slight advantage since my primary rifle is a Blaser R8. The rifle isn't cocked until you manually do so. There's literally no tension on the firing pin spring and you could pull the trigger all day without discharging the rifle.

Those r8s are interesting rifles, one of these days I’ll pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go about it like you do Guy. Even my 5 shot SA 454 Casull is reduced to 4 rounds since I won't carry it with the hammer resting down or at half cock. Most of the time I lose game looking at it vs is my gun loaded...... I'm not in a hurry to shoot most of the time anyway. I like to assess the situation, quality of the game and the work involved retrieving it, especially if it's not a quality specimen?

Thebear_78":28ett4d3 said:
Those r8s are interesting rifles, one of these days I’ll pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While safety wasn't my primary reason for going the Blaser route, I do appreciate the safety feature.

Years ago when I started hunting (walking w/ crutches) the rule was "the chamber is always empty, unless you are sitting on your butt, with both hands on the rifle- never pointed in the direction of anything you don't intend to kill" that's still the rule. CL

Pheasant hunting both with and without a dog on wild Pheasants the 1100 is loaded and safety on as it is with 100% of the people I have hunted with in IA,SD,NE,MN,IL,KS. Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. All shotguns unloaded around dogs unless held, dogs always want to knock them down when leaning against tree's ect.ect. and especially in Duck Blinds keep a eye on the dumb dog.
Rifles when walking easy country rifle loaded safety on when walking up coyotes and Deer or Elk in the timber. When in rough country or when walking in single file a empty chamber. I also never carry a rifle with a sling with a loaded rifle with the safety against my body. So if my Model 70 is on my slinged right shoulder it is muzzle up and if on my left shoulder its muzzle down, keep the safety away from your body, if I have a loaded chamber. I also always keep a piece of Electrical tape on barrel to keep debris out of barrel.
When walking in rough country with unsure footing or rifle in pack magazine loaded on empty chamber.
In South Dakota its legal to have Rifles loaded but illegal to have shotguns loaded in a truck, so when to shoot out the truck I carry rifle loaded with empty chamber and when barrel is out the window then its loaded to shoot coyotes yes this is legal in South Dakota.
When I hunted raccoon's when hunting with a Ruger 10/22 empty chamber loaded magazine safety on same as my Mark II handgun, Ruger Single Six 22LR loaded hammer down.
Black powder TC Rengade loaded cap off till on stand then capped.

Back