Enough for elk?

Hey Pharm..... aren’t you running a LA bolt stop and standard magazines for your Tikka 7/08s? Just wondering if your COAL on that load?

"Just don't do a Texas Heart Shot ( up the keester ), and you'll be more than fine!"

Being from Texas, I'd "much prefer" this was "Renamed" the "Washington D.C. Heart Shot"....I've never been shot in the Keester anywhere in/or by anyone in Texas, but D.C? You bet! lol :p

"Just don't do a Texas Heart Shot ( up the keester ), and you'll be more than fine!"

Being from Texas, I'd "much prefer" this was "Renamed" the "Washington D.C. Heart Shot"....I've never been shot in the Keester anywhere in/or by anyone in Texas, but D.C? You bet! lol :p

preacher":2jnmn7wi said:

Perfect!

JD338

been having good results in my tikka 7-08 with staball and 150 partitions. I use the m+ creedmoor mags and have enough room to reach the lands with noslers, currently running the partitions 20 thou off. I'd use the 7-08 on anything, buddy of mine's daughter killed 2 oryx with some 140 Accubonds I loaded for her 7-08. Find an accurate load and have fun.

All good advice here. Above all, don't let a situation force you into a hurried shot at a bad angle. Try to hold out for relaxed quarry, broadside and not moving. Practice shooting from different positions and getting into those positions. Decide for yourself and discuss whether to hunt with cartridge in the chamber and safety on. Prep and being ready and practice is partly how to avoid hurried shots. Your rifle/load combo is fine - preparing yourself is just as important. EE2

elkeater2":kcdb6j1t said:
All good advice here. Above all, don't let a situation force you into a hurried shot at a bad angle. Try to hold out for relaxed quarry, broadside and not moving. Practice shooting from different positions and getting into those positions. Decide for yourself and discuss whether to hunt with cartridge in the chamber and safety on. Prep and being ready and practice is partly how to avoid hurried shots. Your rifle/load combo is fine - preparing yourself is just as important. EE2

If you can follow that advice, Caliber and bullet size are almost not an issue. I know because I have failed to do the above while using "plenty of gun" and had very poor results. Again, wisdom there we should all try to follow. CL

I found this quote after looking for a while this morning. "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel" I believe this sincerely.

Elkman":3rxvoycw said:
I found this quote after looking for a while this morning. "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel" I believe this sincerely.

Dumbest quote ever. Nothing “does the job when everything goes wrong”.

The caliber of your intellect, caliber of your woodsmanship, and caliber of your character.... are FAR more important than the caliber of your weapon.... as those three things dictate shot selection.

Let’s also remember than bullets are not created equal.... and swing the “enough gun” pendulum wildly.

Tobey284":1pyl9dqm said:
been having good results in my tikka 7-08 with staball and 150 partitions. I use the m+ creedmoor mags and have enough room to reach the lands with noslers, currently running the partitions 20 thou off. I'd use the 7-08 on anything, buddy of mine's daughter killed 2 oryx with some 140 Accubonds I loaded for her 7-08. Find an accurate load and have fun.

What’s your muzzle velocity?

Songdog":31j6c8tv said:
Hey Pharm..... aren’t you running a LA bolt stop and standard magazines for your Tikka 7/08s? Just wondering if your COAL on that load?

Yes, but I exceed Mag length only with 150 eldx. The COAL with the AB is 2.805.”

P

Back