Experienced a Failure to Extract-Weatherby Mark V

wbyfan1

Beginner
Apr 9, 2012
Had a first at the range today. Shooting a Mark V 270 Wby Mag, I put my first shot of the day down range and when I opened the bolt and pulled it back to extract...nothing! The empty shell casing was still in the chamber. Cycled the action and still no change. Used a cleaning rod and was able to tap the spent casing out with very little force from the muzzle end.

No defects on the case were visible. The load is one i've been shooting for several years and have never had a problem. Fwiw, the brass was on it's 9th loading. I checked the condition of extractor and it looked normal...no missing pieces or cracked. There was quite a bit of brass flakes on the bolt face around the extractor claw. Didn't look too excessive. For what it's worth, I tried chambering several more hand loaded rounds and about 50 percent failed to extract.

Have any of you folks had this problem? If so, what was the cause? Do extractors wear out? I'm a little surprised this happened as the gun has been stone cold reliable from day one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd try some factory rounds... 9 loadings is a LOT at WBY pressures.

Did you fire the additional rounds with FTE or just cycle them through the action?

I did have a FTE on my .300WSM once with a badly overpressure factory round. Rare, but it happens.

hodgeman":2ukewrvj said:
I'd try some factory rounds... 9 loadings is a LOT at WBY pressures.

Did you fire the additional rounds with FTE or just cycle them through the action?

No I didn't fire them, just cycled them through.

Back