Experiences with 8MM's

I only owned a 8x57;IRS - the rimmed version - in a Drilling.
Sold it to buy my now Ex a gun.
What a bad choice...

But loaded and tested 8x57 IS and 8x68S and boy - I love the 8x68S!

Very underrated.

With a 200 gr AccuBond it did well on plains game.

Hard to get one as a lefty, though.

I am from Germany, so I know the discussion. But some of the anemic load data you have for the 8x57;is due to the fact that Germany changed diameter of the bullet way back.

So to make sure you don't blow yourself up with the later and larger bullet, some data is based on "push the larger bullet through the smaller barrel".
If you have QL - or good load data - it is quite potent.

If I remember correctly, the 30-06 is an amercanized 8x57...

Last edited:
Here's a couple Ballistic Tips recovered from a good sized moose bull. Estimated around 1100-1200 live weight.
Shot out of 8x57 with 19" barrel. 180gr starting around 2630 fps.

One bullet found with core intact and the plastic tip. 139.5 gr = 77.5 percent weight retention.

JvaFWK4.jpg

The other found with core separation and some lead fragment. 145.5 gr = 80 percent weight retention.

3tcvtoa.jpg

I'd say they held up rather well for this type of bullet.

06iUGsr.jpg

CQAjHHr.jpg

ur1pwoO.jpg
Looks like excellent performance from those BT's. Thanks for the report. I always enjoy seeing actual results.

Here's a couple Ballistic Tips recovered from a good sized moose bull. Estimated around 1100-1200 live weight.
Shot out of 8x57 with 19" barrel. 180gr starting around 2630 fps.

One bullet found with core intact and the plastic tip. 139.5 gr = 77.5 percent weight retention.

JvaFWK4.jpg

The other found with core separation and some lead fragment. 145.5 gr = 80 percent weight retention.

3tcvtoa.jpg

I'd say they held up rather well for this type of bullet.

06iUGsr.jpg

CQAjHHr.jpg

ur1pwoO.jpg
Seems like a great all around bullet for your 8x57 for anything from deer to moose. What do you estimate the impact velocity would have been?

Back