Experiences with 8MM's

8MMX57JS

Beginner
Apr 14, 2022
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and am a big 8mm FAN. Been using it for several years up here in British Columbia, Canada.

I use the 8x57JS, 8MM-06, and 325 WSM.

I plan on adding a 8MM REM MAG, 8x68, and 8x64 down the line.

Enjoy some pictures and details.

4x3 Mule deer buck shot with 8MM-06 Nosler accubonds 200gr @ 2790 FPS at around 200 yards.

t5LwBJW.jpg

ffo5Epo.jpg

CdmqO1a.jpg

q7ATGnu.jpg

Nice Tall and Narrow 4 point Mulie shot around 185 yards in the Rut with 196Gr Norma Dual Core RN At 2550 fps out of the 8x57JS
YDfrCgg.jpg

JEZAfJQ.jpg

A couple Black bears shot with 8x57JS 196 Norma Dual Core RN At 2550 fps. One shot a piece. The black one measured 6'4" Squared and skull measure over 20" and made boone and crockett.
FBwJ2wj.jpg

XzBwEFR.jpg

19kZzWt.jpg

g6ozFne.jpg

A coyote kill with Norma Orxy 196gr at around 75 yards
iW4iUlt.jpg

Backcountry hike/scout with a Classic 8x57 Husqvarna M98
sWNHEmR.jpg

Small 4 Point Mule buck shot with 180gr Hornady GMX @ 2700 fps out of 8x57JS, shot around 150 yards
xJFATVW.jpg

5 Point White tail shot with 8x57 200gr Speer Hot-cor @ 2540 fps front chest shot with bullet recovered. Bullet was 75-80% retention.
4pn7QCe.jpg

Nice blonde black bear with 8x57JS 180gr Nosler ballistic tip @2740 fps. One shot kill at 225 yards.
J1zlVp7.png

Last edited:
That is an excellent series of pictures. They do display some of the variety we enjoy here in BC. Thanks for posting. The 8mm bullets work, and work very well. I harvested quite a variety of game with my 325 WSM. I do have an 8X68S, which is amazingly accurate and is a ballistic twin to the 325 WSM. I've loaded for the 8X57 on several occasions, though I never owned one myself. Welcome aboard. Glad to see the posts.

An excellent first thread, I can honestly say that I have never owned anything in the 8MM class, but I know a fella who does and they are very capable of taking anything we have here in Canada. Welcome to the forum from your neighbor in Sask.

Beautiful pictures. You've made some great memories for sure. That one black bear is a tub.

Fine endorsement of the 8MM range of cartridges.

Welcome!

Amazing pictures and some good looking animals (I love the look of color-phase bears, especially), and rifles. I am particularly interested in your 8mm-06; I suspect that it would be very similar to the 338-06, which I've looked high and low for as a sister for my 35 Whelen (don't want her getting lonely, you know).

Again, welcome.

The 8mm is one caliber that I've not owned but can't see why it is wouldn't be fine for hunting almost anything. Looking there is a much bigger selection of bullets (if you can find them) than I thought there would be. I've read that large numbers of surplus 98 Mausers were rechambered to 8mm-06 after WWII, but I have never run across one.

Last edited:
Being a 338 fan, I have never dipped my toes into the 8mm waters, but do know that performance isn't far from similar to the various 338 cartridges. I currently have two rifles in 338 Federal, a 338-06 and a 338 Win Mag. And I have taken the largest number of game to date with the Win Mag (several bear, moose, elk, bison and a grizzly bear). The newest to me are the 338 Federals, which I have taken a nice woodland caribou with the lever action to date. Looking forward to breaking in the bolt action on game this year. I went to 358 Win, 9.3x62 and 375 Win /376 Steyr for my other rifles over 30 cal. Just my personal preference for using larger calibers on our game here in northern BC.

I have read many articles by Craig Boddington on his use of the 8MM Remington Mag around the world, and there is no doubt that it performs very well. A friend used to have one and took moose with his. I have been with DrMike when he has used his 325 WSM on several animals, and there is no doubt that it also performs very well on the larger big game animals. With the 8x68S being its ballistic twin, it should be a great choice too, if you are wishing to stay with a European class cartridge. The 8MM Remington Mag is definitely a North American cartridge, and you may find brass a little easier to find, even though it is not a common cartridge. With the past popularity of the 7MM STW, you could always neck up brass in a pinch.

Welcome aboard, nice to see another BC hunter that has spent time in the field!

Good thread. For some reason I never took much interest in anything 8MM. Probably played with the 30 caliber more than anything else. Probably 90 percent of my hunting was with the 30-06 and .308 Win.
Paul B.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing all your pics and 8mm experiences. I too love the 8mm bore but I only have experience from the 8x57. I have only harvested whitetail with it this far but I've been pleased.

I'm curious about your experience with the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. You don't have to list your charge of you don't want to but I am curious as to what powder you used to gain the velocity you are getting. My current load is using 47gr of IMR 4064 but I'm only getting 2630ish. Also does your rifle have a 24in barrel ?

Thanks again for sharing.

Welcome aboard, glad you are here.
You have had great success with the 8mm, thank you for sharing.

JD338

Thanks for sharing all your pics and 8mm experiences. I too love the 8mm bore but I only have experience from the 8x57. I have only harvested whitetail with it this far but I've been pleased.

I'm curious about your experience with the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. You don't have to list your charge of you don't want to but I am curious as to what powder you used to gain the velocity you are getting. My current load is using 47gr of IMR 4064 but I'm only getting 2630ish. Also does your rifle have a 24in barrel ?

Thanks again for sharing.
I was using H4895, if I recall it was 49 grains which was safe in my rifle. Velocity was approx. 2740 fps over the chronograph and that's with a 22 inch barrel. Based off quick load I could bump it up a couple grain before it reaches it's max pressure rating.

47 Grains of Imr 4064 is on the light side. It looks like you can work up to approx. 52 GR to get 2700+

Max pressure is 56K
Your load is around 46K

Nice bear. Thanks for sharing.
The 8mm is a forgotten caliber here in the US. I knew a Swiss Hunter who swore by the 8x68 for European boar. He touted full penetration through the tough side plates to leave a blood trail.

The 8mm RM is a powerhouse that is sadly neglected. A hunting partner carried one for years, and though he wasn't all that great a shot, the rifle was up to the task of about anything he might have encountered.

Man, what a cool post, bears, moose, deer.. Sheesh that is awesome stuff.

I am a late comer to the 8mm's myself. I was guilted for years about getting a 325 WSM and man, its a cool cartridge. I am using the 180 BT's in it as well. They seem very accurate and hopefully I can get one into a buck sometime soon.

Awesome bunch of 8mm's though. That is just 10 kinds of cool!

Great post with lots of good pictures.
I have a Spanish Mauser in 8mm that I have never shot and is a safe queen. I like other rifles I own better and usually grab one of them when I go hunting.

Back