Favorite 22LR of all time?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Mine is without a doubt, Marlin's "Original Golden Trigger" 39A. It has the heft and feel of a quality rifle(because it is). No cheap plastic toy here! This one was my father's. I grew up running all over the woods with this 22. No telling how many starlings, crows, squirrels, and whatever else has fallen to this beloved rimfire.

Attachments

• 100_1209.JPG
    100_1209.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,236
  • 100_1207.JPG
    100_1207.JPG
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 2,236
I've had several 22s, and used quite a few others. I can tell you that I regret not grabbing one of the Winchester 9422s when they were closing the New Haven factory. I do like my Browning T-bolt, however. It is accurate and reasonable quite to bring on target.

P7150115.jpg

Nice rifle.

My favorite is a recently acquired Miroku-made Winchester 52. I am still discovering its accuracy potential with various types of ammo, but have fired a number of 5-shot groups at 50 yards that measure near 0.3 inch. My experience with it thus far suggest that I am the weak link!

Man, I am pretty tempted to get one of the Henry's or a used Marlin 22. I love them little lever gun 22's!

I've never shot (or, for that matter, even handled) either, but I sure would like either a Winchester repro, or a Remington 541T. I have handled a Kimber of Oregon Super America .22 (M82, maybe?) and it was sweet! If I could find one with a stock I liked, I would like to play with an Anchutz, too.

BK":1hmo8kkk said:
I've never shot (or, for that matter, even handled) either, but I sure would like either a Winchester repro, or a Remington 541T. I have handled a Kimber of Oregon Super America .22 (M82, maybe?) and it was sweet! If I could find one with a stock I liked, I would like to play with an Anchutz, too.

I had a 541-T and it was a pretty nice rifle, but I gave it up to make room (and funds) for the 52. The 52 seems to outshoot it handily.

52post.jpg

Norinco JW 15 commercial sporter. Don't laugh, its a prototype CZ452. Ugly asian wood stock with an ugly shiney finish and mediocre finish on the metal but man do they shoot!

Don't know if BRNO or Norinco came up with the design first, but I've seen military trainers built on the same action with military mauser wood and tangent sights dating from the late 50's from the PRC, so I'm guessing they did.

Very light crisp trigger pull, short locktime, great balance, did I mention they shoot?

Bought mine for $89 in 1991 when they were imported along with all the other Norinco commercial stuff and milsurp before the ban on Chinese gun imports. Great full size bolt rifle. I'm still scouring gun shows for more of them.

Tough question. For years the only 22 rifle I owned was a Ruger model 77/22 that I bought new about 1985 when they first came out. Boat paddle style stock with green inserts and blued steel. A couple years ago I bought a CZ model 452 military trainer style .22lr. What a shooter the CZ is. The military ladder style rear sight is right on in all position up to about 150 yards.

My first 22 was a Sears & Roebuck Winchester M190 Semi Auto 22 rim fire. I also have a Remington M541T-HB that is a tack driver with Yellow jackets. This is the rifle I use for pest control.

JD338

Marlin 39A - Dad taught me to shoot with one back about 1961 or so, and in his mid 80's now, he's still shooting it. His is actually the 39 Mountie - with the shorter barrel & straight grip stock. Mine is a 39A - love it. My all-time favorite rifle, not just my favorite .22 rifle!

IMG_3934.jpg

I do however have a soft spot in my heart for this wonderful old Win 52B that three generations of my family have used:

IMG_2590.jpg

And my oldest son's favorite is this variation on a Ruger 10/22:
IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

Good .22's are terrific! I shoot far more .22 ammo every year than centerfire, far more!

My favorite is the Cz 452 American, I have wanted to own an Anshutz lefty. Brownings neat little semi auto and their BL 22 are pretty neat guns. Pretty happy with the CZ 452 it's very accurate and has the feel only a high quality gun can bring, one day when I'm caught up with the gun buying I'm doing right now it will get a Rifle Basix trigger and it will be even better.

hunting2008156.jpg

My wifes favorite is my 10/22. She could shoot thousand of round in a day if I would let her!

Thanks. When my oldest was just a youngster (25 years old now) I found that Ruger, lightly used, at a local gunshop. It just screamed "cool" to me - and he's still happy with it at least 15 years later, so I guess I did good.

It's had a few bricks of ammo through it, just a few... :grin:

Guy

My first 22LR was an old Marlin bolt action that my dad gave me for my 8th birthday. I loved that thing, but it weighed as much as my dad's 30.06. It has since moved on to various family members.

My favorite is actually two. Both Ruger 10/22s. On is my "farm" gun, a stock 10/22 stainless with the black composite stock. A trigger "kit" and the bolt face modded, with a 2X scope. My other is bone stock, like Guy's son's. Open sights, but my eyes are changing so looking this summer to put a scope on it.

My "farm" gun has accounted for a lot of small varmints......skunks, polecats, possums, armadillos, raccoons and a couple of foxes. Even a few wild cats that start spending to much time around the bird pen/chicken coop.

I do like the looks of a Mannlicher stock, though the only one I ever owned (a CZ 550) I traded off so I could buy a Featherweight. Still, they do look nice.

My first 22LR was a stock 10/22 over 20 years ago. Its still my favorite after few modifications and a suppressor.

My favorite is my 10/22T the only semi-auto rifle I own. Has a small variable on it and it deadly on picket pins. (small ground rodents).

You guys are evil.

All along I thought a rifleman should strive to shoot tiny groups with a centerfire, and now I learn the real action is the rimfire. I feel like I definitely "need" a 17 HMR bolt action now.

Beautiful rifles.

Back