Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lehigh Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berger

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other o

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
I use Speer 22 cal varmint soft points in my Swift and that's the only other bullet I have in bulk over Nosler AccuBond, Partitions, and BTs in 24, 25, 270, and 7mm. I would sure like to see some 60 gr Partitions at the ProShop. I still have a few flavors of Hornady and Sierra to tinker with but no go tos.

I have to say Hornady because they're available, easy on the wallet, and I've had a lot of success on game, and on paper with them. I'm also liking the Hammer bullets. They're not so easy on the wallet, but they are crazy easy to find an accurate load with, usually under 20 rounds and you're at least under MOA, if you follow their loading procedure. And so far they really smash game.

I cast my vote for Sierra but Hornady and Speer are close seconds. Have used all of them with success as long as the bullet choice, weight and style fit the velocity window you’re in and its for the intended usage of game animal.

I had to look them up. Hadn't even heard of 'em.

Guy
Tom Jacobs is a good guy
Back in 2018 I had a newbie shooter, who came to be with his son. I set him up with my rear-grip 6 Creed (Bishop Blaster) Using Tom's bullets.
This is the 1175 yard steel pd, that the guys I was spotting for was shooting at.
The impact in the middle of the neck was Adam Davis’ dad, Bob. This center hit was on the 3rd shot from a cold bore!
If you can see the white rectangular tank on top of the hill, to the left of the pd, we were shooting from the right of it. The 6mm Creed Bishop Blaster.
6xv410Kl.jpg

uu8w5b8l.jpg

TFs6br7l.jpg

I picked Sierra because I have probably shot more of them then any other except for Nosler. Nosler BT and Sierra have always been the easiest for me to get good accuracy out of. Lately due to availability I have shot a good deal of Hornady and have gotten some good groups but usually have to work a little more at it than the Nosler's and Sierra's.

I agree with you that Sierra's have been pretty easy for me to get to shoot in a variety of cartridges. But they kind of got on my bad side late 2019 thru early 2020, long before everything else was even creeping up, new bullets coming in from Sierra took a BIG jump in price. They got awful proud of their common C&C bullets and I swore off of them as long as Speer's and Hornady's are available.

Edit to add, I got plenty of Sierra's here particularly in 30 caliber and will gladly use them, I just don't see myself buying more as long as Speer and Hornady is available.

Last edited:
90% of my bullets are either Nosler or Norma.
The Norma Oryx are expensive but work very well on game.
I tried the 170 grain Tipstrike this past season and got two deer with it. They are devastating so aim for the vitals and stay away from shoulders or you'll lose a lot of meat.

Last edited:
Because I don't shoot boxes and boxes of bullets dedicated for hunting, I consider Barnes my favorite bullet manufacturer.

I think it's wise in this day and age to pick up multiple quantities of whatever you need when it becomes available. As such, I am stocked on .358 180 TTSX and 200 TTSX for the rest of my hunting days. That will handle anything from deer, to elk and may be a bite back kind of bear if I ever get over my hesitancy to hunt for predators of that nature. Just something about them being at the top of the food chain that reminds me a lot of myself.

Loads have been worked up for years, I'm not gonna go chasing the latest powder(s) moving forward as I suspect gains will be nil, so no load development on the horizon for hunting loads that have proven themselves for decades.

When it comes to practice I'm not picky. I picked up 3 boxes x100 count of .358 200 gr blems (no name) that look just Hornady Spire points. I figured that's what they are simply because no one else makes a spire point looking bullet to my knowledge for the .358 crowd.

With respect to Partition prices, do you guys think there's any credence to the fact things are starting to go lead free, as the Partition isn't the cheapest thing to produce to my knowledge. Start pricing it out of reach compared to other premium bullets, and then fade them out because the demand isn't there. Keeps you from canceling the product on your own and point to decreasing demand.

Was a Sierra, Hornady and Speer user for years then got on the Nosler kick. Still like them just not readily available. So back to the others sometimes. Just have to go with what you can find that works in your rifles and stock a few. Always good to have options that doesn't cause one to rely on any one particular brand. Dan.

I didn't pick one in the poll...
Probably because I have had such good performance from bullets from Hornady (interlocks), Sierra (SGK's and Pro Hunters) and Speer (Hot Cor's) over the years, with accuracy and on game performance, that I cannot say one is better than another. They each have their pros and cons.
Have also found some decent loads with Barnes (X bullets and TSX ) in a couple of cartridges (6.5x55, 416 Taylor) over the years.

I guess that I have been lucky, as when I found a good load for any rifle/cartridge combination, I stocked up with a decent supply of that bullet so I wouldn't have to worry in the future if there were shortages, and I add to my supply when I come across more at decent prices.
Where I have been adding to my inventory over the past few years has mostly been for new additions to the battery.

Due to work load and other priorities (archery and competing to make Team Canada and going to the Worlds) over the past 10 years, I admit that I haven't been loading (or shooting) as much as I did prior to that...looking to get back into it more as I have been once again making rifles, hunting, and shooting higher on my priority list! Got some cool new rifles to break in, develop loads for and take hunting!

Was a Sierra, Hornady and Speer user for years then got on the Nosler kick. Still like them just not readily available. So back to the others sometimes. Just have to go with what you can find that works in your rifles and stock a few. Always good to have options that doesn't cause one to rely on any one particular brand. Dan.
Funny how we can take for granted something so simple like bullets...particularly ones that were never in high demand and then a little shakeup here and there...
poof...
you can't find them anywhere and possibly may never see them again. 🤷‍♂️

The last few years definitely solidified having a few options and definitely don't back yourself into a corner with one and only one bullet.

I voted Sierra, when I started reloading in '76 that is what I started with. Over the ensuing years I have shot Speer, Nosler and Hornady a good number of times but Sierras have always been the best for me for accuracy, deer hunting along with varmint hunting.

Because I don't shoot boxes and boxes of bullets dedicated for hunting, I consider Barnes my favorite bullet manufacturer.

I think it's wise in this day and age to pick up multiple quantities of whatever you need when it becomes available. As such, I am stocked on .358 180 TTSX and 200 TTSX for the rest of my hunting days. That will handle anything from deer, to elk and may be a bite back kind of bear if I ever get over my hesitancy to hunt for predators of that nature. Just something about them being at the top of the food chain that reminds me a lot of myself.

Loads have been worked up for years, I'm not gonna go chasing the latest powder(s) moving forward as I suspect gains will be nil, so no load development on the horizon for hunting loads that have proven themselves for decades.

When it comes to practice I'm not picky. I picked up 3 boxes x100 count of .358 200 gr blems (no name) that look just Hornady Spire points. I figured that's what they are simply because no one else makes a spire point looking bullet to my knowledge for the .358 crowd.

With respect to Partition prices, do you guys think there's any credence to the fact things are starting to go lead free, as the Partition isn't the cheapest thing to produce to my knowledge. Start pricing it out of reach compared to other premium bullets, and then fade them out because the demand isn't there. Keeps you from canceling the product on your own and point to decreasing demand.
It's funny you say that! I have been searching and trying to grab the 338 185 TTSX and 358 200 TTSX! Every time I have gotten the alert I have put them in the cart and by the time I process my order the darned things are GONE!.. I'll get em though. Worth the work.

It's funny you say that! I have been searching and trying to grab the 338 185 TTSX and 358 200 TTSX! Every time I have gotten the alert I have put them in the cart and by the time I process my order the darned things are GONE!.. I'll get em though. Worth the work.
Barnes has the 200 grain TTSX .358 in stock right now. I ordered some last week.

Barnes has the 200 grain TTSX .358 in stock right now. I ordered some last week.
Some of the Barnes bullets are non existent like the 375 250 gr TTSX. I keep looking though...

JD338

Back