Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lehigh Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berger

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other o

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
The voting so far went about as I suspected.

Interestingly Barnes with only 2 votes and I'd like to know what the "other" selections were. Also surprising to me is no votes for Lehigh nor Berry's.
I included Berry's as I thought for sure someone would love their prices for pistol bullets even though we're on a rifle driven forum.
Keep em coming...

Interestingly Barnes with only 2 votes and I'd like to know what the "other" selections were. Also surprising to me is no votes for Lehigh nor Berry's.
I included Berry's as I thought for sure someone would love their prices for pistol bullets even though we're on a rifle driven forum.
Keep em coming...
I'm looking at this with respect to favorite hunting bullets based on use in the field, not necessarily overall availability from a specific manufacturer for typical target shooting or practice.

However I can see availability is propping up manufacturers votes as much as bullet performance itself.

I've used Barnes for 30 years. I am but one vote. I won't hold it against the rest of you guys that won't claim Barnes in public... Haha.

For hunting mostly European brands. LOS, Fox. But Lehigh, too. For others Barnes.
Target-practice: what flies ok and is available.
Currently Prvi, since I have only a 100 m range available.
They are good enough for that and for running boar and shooting cinema, they are more than enough. Actually found some sub moa loads in 308 win with them from a Bergara

Keep em coming...
For just a little bit more you can buy RMR bullets instead of the Berry's.
RMR also has pulled brass that are still primed for some people looking for certain brass and primers might not be bad.

I'm looking at this with respect to favorite hunting bullets based on use in the field, not necessarily overall availability from a specific manufacturer for typical target shooting or practice.

However I can see availability is propping up manufacturers votes as much as bullet performance itself.

I've used Barnes for 30 years. I am but one vote. I won't hold it against the rest of you guys that won't claim Barnes in public... Haha.
That's a fine point but just know things are no longer on equal footing.
Availability has seized control of the industry.
Something can't be a favorite if you can't get it.

Of the big 4....
Hornady is far and away doing the very best with production.
We can debate the why or how all day long but fact remains you can get pretty much their entire catalog at any point in time. (Within reason)

Then down mich further and I mean further at #2 is Sierra and Speer.

Then Nosler even much further below Sierra and Speer comes in at #4
Their current inventory is shameful. I love Nosler (we're all here right) but fact is fact...obtaining Nosler product right now is a pathetic endeavor. Maybe 2nd's pop up here or there bur legit production SKU's that aren't blemished....good luck.

I don't have any clue about Barnes availability nor Swift.

Even Berry's and their lower prices is nearly always available and it get's bought a lot by the pistol blasters.

For just a little bit more you can buy RMR bullets instead of the Berry's.
RMR also has pulled brass that are still primed for some people looking for certain brass and primers might not be bad.
Elaborate on that please.
Are you suggesting Berry's is no good?
Their defense ammo is tough to beat price wise. I've never tested it performance wise nor know of it's performance but a hollow point for defense the prices are unbeatable. IMO

And as example..

250 count HP bullets for a 9mm $39.99

RMR are good people to work with. Over the years I’ve purchased many factory overruns. Most of them were Federal Fusions.
I wished I bought a 1000 a piece of the Tipped Bear Claws back when they were available from them.

Hornady but I haven't forgotten the Vaccine mandate stunt....they almost lost me and I'm still on the edge. Which really stinks because they have a good product at a good price.

Went to Douglas Barrels today to drop off my 270 Win to get barreled and on the way back stopped off at Cabela's. They had several Hornady bullets on the shelfs, some Sierra, couple boxes of Nosler and no Speer that I saw. Dan.

I'm the other Barnes guy LOL

Nice, bob_dobalina! I know there are other Barnes users besides us, but I can sure see where the different perspectives on what makes a favorite manufacturer come from.

Something can be a favorite, even if I can't get it. As shared, I look at it from the favorite bullet for hunting view. I have looked ahead, even 25 years ago thinking "what if these were discontinued next year", for example as Barnes left the XLC blue coated bullets behind pretty quick in favor of the TSX, and now TTSX. Or quit making the 250 X for the Whelen crowd because it wouldn't stabilize in factory 1-16" barrels. Not knowing that was gonna happen, I now have two full boxes, and a partial from 20 years ago that shoot well in my 1-14" barrel. Probably will never use them, but I have them. That keeps it from being a white knuckle event in my reloading room. In the Whelen AI, everything from the 180 X/TTSX, 200 X/TSX/TTSX, 225X/TSX and that discontinued 250 X will take any deer, elk or moose that walks. Probably the same for critters that might bite back. Again, shortage vs the tool for the job is something I'm looking at from a different mindset as multiple options from Barnes will fill the need and I already have them.

Agree, absolutely true if having any product on the reloading bench at all is the criteria, those that have availability could be considered a favorite.

I voted Other; Woodleigh is my favorite bullet because they work, plain and simple. But they're not cheap or common up here. Other than that I would say Hornady

I did not cast a vote-each manufacturer makes some bullet i really like. Each rifle shoots one or another better than one or another.
My overall favorite bullet is the trophy bonded bear claw-the old original ones. I have a bunch in each caliber and if I had to pick just one-that would probably be the one.

I voted other. For bonded bullets no one can beat Woodleigh. There are some good ones out there to be sure but they don't beat it.

For monometal (all copper) then I've been converted to Atomic 29 (https://www.facebook.com/atomic29bullets they have a website coming). Cheaper and IMO better performers. I have a shipment for 270 and 7mm arriving either today or tomorrow.

As far as the rest go, I've shot most (not all) and never had a dead beast complain about any of them. Hornady I have shot a lot of and I would give the nod to simply based on price (value) and availability. Speer seem to be a little more accessible and probably rate close to the same in terms of value and performance, but Hornady IMO get the prize for how well they have kept meeting market demand. I love Nosler and have a soft spot yet price and availability is one of the worst and I'm beginning to wonder if I can justify continuing to buy them as their level of dead really isn't better than the others these days (assuming right bullet for the job and placement of course)

I chose Speer. They always been accurate enough for my hunting rifles and do a good number on critters.

Back