favorite yote bullets

6mm Remington":hprca4c6 said:
JD338":hprca4c6 said:
Jim you sort of remind me of myself shooting Partitions at them. I wonder if we have enough bullet? :mrgreen: Maybe we need to consult with Fotis on this one Jim. He'll be having us use at least a 30-378! :lol:

Oh there is a vision... 125 gr NBT at what? 4k? Here's bettin' that'd turn 'em to red mist like a 22-250 on PDs!

I like the way you... Er, Fotis... Think!

I've used Speer 100 gr HP from my 257 AI at 3330 fps and heard no complaints from the customers. Here is an example of close-in hit:

DSCF0540.jpg

75 gr Vmax at 3600 fps is a killer through that rifle, to!

My 6-250 does well accuracy-wi w/ 75 gr Horn HPs, and they kill well.

None of these are pelt friendly by any stretch, at least not at the 1-150 yds typical of my calling set-ups.

My AR is lovin 55 gr NBTs and I'm excited to inroduce the local yote population to 'em ASAP!

I'll see your carnage.... and raise you a little more....

75 Vmax out of a .25-06AI... running 3800+ at the muzzle.... 200 yard frontal chest shot on a sitting dog, this is the entrance, there was no exit (there was also little discernable evidence of heart/lungs in the chest cavity)
ddp2.jpg

Here's another, though this one was without all the fanfare...

.375 H&H, 260 AccuBond (70ish grains RE-15, 2700fps), 8 yards (no kidding), exited, DRT
JOSHSCOYOTE0034.jpg

Songdog":2y6r13wg said:
I'll see your carnage.... and raise you a little more....

75 Vmax out of a .25-06AI... running 3800+ at the muzzle.... 200 yard frontal chest shot on a sitting dog, this is the entrance, there was no exit (there was also little discernable evidence of heart/lungs in the chest cavity)
ddp2.jpg

Here's another, though this one was without all the fanfare...

.375 H&H, 260 AccuBond (70ish grains RE-15, 2700fps), 8 yards (no kidding), exited, DRT
JOSHSCOYOTE0034.jpg

375 and yotes! Now your talking!

Songdog, I'm surprised that 260 AB exited. :mrgreen: It is fun to catch the unwary coyote and sting him/her with whatever you have at hand. I had a big dog trot down a trail when I was walking along a creek bank a couple of years ago. I was hunting mule deer and had my .356 in hand. I stepped off the trail into some brush and he continued on his path right to me. I shot at about four yards. He jumped straight up and spun simultaneously. He made over twenty yards before he dropped. I was astonished at how tenacious he was. A 250 grain Kodiak made a horrible mess of that dog and there was a trail of blood that Ray Charles could have followed. I don't believe there was any blood left in the critter. Still, he made good time and good distance for his last trip.

DrMike":1g67ngq7 said:
Songdog, I'm surprised that 260 AB exited. :mrgreen: It is fun to catch the unwary coyote and sting him/her with whatever you have at hand.

I'm not gonna' lie.... I went out looking for a coyote or two to shoot with that .375 H&H. I called that coyote in, and shot it at under 30' as it trotted past my position. There was no tough accolades to bestow on this dog.... he went down, hard.

Shot this big bodied Spike Blacktail (225lbs on a cert. scale) with the same load at 70 yards.... it exited too.... imagine that.killed him just south of you DrMike.... about 5 miles from the coast, and about 5 miles from Canada.... eh. That's the exit you can see just above the elbow.... doesn't look like much, but the insides were soup! Don't mind the date.... camera was brand new.
Blacktail07.jpg

Here's a picture of the hole on the entrance side of the ribcage.... bet'cha that hurt. You can see the opposite side ribs through the hole....
375Spike.jpg

I don't doubt that the interior of that buck turned to soup. Consequently, that was a fine blacktail buck. I haven't hunted them for a few years. I need to make a trip back down to the coast.

CatskillCrawler":357dv442 said:
Somehow I get the feeling that poor yote would have succumbed to a concussion from your muzzle blast...

If I missed.... I was just planning on tripping him as he ran by.... then pouncing on him, taking his back and choking him out. Coyotes are tough.... they almost never tap.

SJB358":ii6w6fwe said:
CatskillCrawler":ii6w6fwe said:
Songdog":ii6w6fwe said:
Coyotes are tough.... they almost never tap.

LMAO

agreed

I read that this afternoon, my time.. Almost made me fall down I was laughing so hard! Thanks SD!

Feel free to quote me on that.....

I actually have tried to choke a coyote out by standing on its throat (spined).... nope... wasn't happening. Early in the second round Herb Dean had to stop the fight though..... after a vicious right (9mm 124 Gold Dot to the side of the head).... hey, I shot it with my right hand!

The 204 scored again yesterday, up to 17 on the year. I didn't shoot one all through January or February which are usually my best months due to the extremely mild weather. Once March rolled around and we started calving though things changed quick. I didn't figure I had a chance of matching my record of 49 set last year with the slow start, but checking my notes I see I'm only 5 behind where I was this time last year. I'll lay off shooting them in a week or so when calving stops until fall unless I get one close to the house or see a large group hanging together. I may get up near last year's total with a good fall, I'd sure like to hit 40 anyway.

mcseal2":twl0xfqj said:
I'll lay off shooting them in a week or so when calving stops until fall unless I get one close to the house or see a large group hanging together.

I do the same.... and encourage others to follow suit. The only exception is when I'm asked to do a little predator management where the goal is improved big game hunting.... then late spring and early summer seem the best times to do damage to a population.

I'd agree there are sure places where they need thinned down. Hopefully I've killed the problem ones around home for the year and can let some more timid dogs reproduce.

Back