Finally! A Day I Was Able to Pull the Trigger!

Mike that whelen looks like it ready to roll a bear or two. You guys keep showing off all these whelen groups and numbers, looks basically like a non magnum 338 WM.

That 280 sure is a shooter as well.

Great work!

Dan,

I'll grab some factory ammo to do break-in. Travis is conscientious, as are all the fellows working on the rifles. Were you having this pillar bedded, or skim bedded? Consequently, you should take a look at the VX6. It is quite a piece of glass.

Jake,

You'll need to pick up a Whelen. It is a good round, and I'm quite pleased with how well this is shooting. I just finished the measurements; they come out at 0.5 inches for four rounds of 225 TSX or for three rounds of 250 grain Partitions. That is a lot of power for bear (or moose, or elk, or mule deer, or ...).

I am having it pillar bedded. What does the VX6 price out approximately?
Maybe I will up it a little seeing I signed another contract :)
Thanks for all your help my friend it sure is a pleasure chatting with you and all the guys on the forum :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I don't know the street price on the VX6. However, I'm increasingly impressed with the clarity of the glass and the general contour of the scope. Send Tim an E-Mail and ask what he is letting them go for; you'll get an answer before I'm in there next.

Dr Mike,
Nice shooting all around. That Whelen caught my eye, with 250's will lay out those Moose anyday!!

Don

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on about anything in our mountains. I do believe I'm ready for spring to get here. I should hear on my grizzly draw shortly. If I don't get that, there is still black bear in high numbers.

DrMike":3htjtwif said:
Dan,

I'll grab some factory ammo to do break-in. Travis is conscientious, as are all the fellows working on the rifles. Were you having this pillar bedded, or skim bedded? Consequently, you should take a look at the VX6. It is quite a piece of glass.

Jake,

You'll need to pick up a Whelen. It is a good round, and I'm quite pleased with how well this is shooting. I just finished the measurements; they come out at 0.5 inches for four rounds of 225 TSX or for three rounds of 250 grain Partitions. That is a lot of power for bear (or moose, or elk, or mule deer, or ...).

How does the recoil of the Whelen compare to the 280? How much do each of those rifles weigh?

I don't have the weights of either rifle, though the 280 is the heavier of the two, having a longer tube and a laminate stock. The recoil on the Whelen is noticeably stiffer, especially with heavier bullets. I don't find either objectionable, however.

Targets are looking good Dr. Mike! Nice shooting.

Really like the idea of a faster twist tube on the .35 Whelen - never did understand the 1:16 twist so many of them come with. With your 1:12 twist, the rifle should be able to handle a much heavier bullet should you so desire.

A .280 and a .35 Whelen would make a nice pair.

Thanks, Guy. I'm planning to buy some 280 grain Swift A-Frames for this rifle. I think that will make an awesome bullet for close quarters.

Guy Miner":1kpjyvfa said:
Targets are looking good Dr. Mike! Nice shooting.

Really like the idea of a faster twist tube on the .35 Whelen - never did understand the 1:16 twist so many of them come with. With your 1:12 twist, the rifle should be able to handle a much heavier bullet should you so desire.

Absolutely a great pair for whatever you would hunt most anywhere. My two for everything is not as potent but will due and that is my 7mm-08 and 358Win and I am not afraid to use these on anything in North America (the 358Win has a little extra power because of the Ruger Hawkeye and being able to load longer bullets than the BLR and I get great velocities for a 358Win).

Mike, your 7mm-08 and 358 are a great combination for hunting North America. "One could do much worse than be equipped with rifles chambered in those two cartridges.

Hey DrMike with those two you could sell all your other guns :shock: I could be banned for such talk had better be careful from now on :mrgreen:

Hey DrMike with those two you could sell all your other guns

What a dreadful thought! Indeed, you should have your mouth washed with soap for even permitting such a statement (or since you typed it, perhaps you have have your hand washed. Hmmmm. That loses some of the punch.).

I concur! Gerry, report to my house and I will do the washing. Don't forget that BLR 260 either! I think it needs a good inspection.....

Thought that would get your attention guys :) I promise to not let such evil words come out of my mouth again (well hands actually) Scotty the BLR is sold and will be shipped out as soon as the funds get here. It is a great gun but I wanted to try out something different, when my new 260 comes in a few months I promise to post up some range results.

gerry":3uns1o68 said:
Thought that would get your attention guys :) I promise to not let such evil words come out of my mouth again (well hands actually) Scotty the BLR is sold and will be shipped out as soon as the funds get here. It is a great gun but I wanted to try out something different, when my new 260 comes in a few months I promise to post up some range results.

Sweet. I love my 264, but I think it would be nice to have a smaller 6.5 to play with. USMC89 has the 6.5x47 Lapua and that seems pretty interesting as well. There seems to be a resurgence of 6.5's lately, and I want in on it! :twisted:

I would almost pass out if Winchester chambered their M70's in the 6.5x55. A little rifle like a Featherweight would be destined for the woods...

Back