Finally!

Other accounts indicate that the Barnes 185 TSX hits harder than a 180 gr bullet out of a 30-06. I haven't look at the energy figures to verify this, but the larger frontal area should transfer more energy upon impact.

Yes, it should work very well on moose! And elk. Looking forward to bustin a bear with it this spring!

Taylorce1, sorry to hear of your Savage 99 problems in 358. And yes, the Model 88 in 358 does command a premium price, as did the 284 I picked up last year. (Don't really want to talk about what I just paid for a couple of spare magazines for it! But at least I have them.) you should try the Browning BLR in 358; they are good rifles and can be pretty accurate. Terrible triggers, but if you know and accept this, you can get familiar with where it breaks, and still get some good (sub-MOA) groups.

The heft does allow for a steady hold, and will help felt recoil with that drop in the stock.

Looks good!! My grandpa loved his 88 , so I've always been fond of them.
Ya the 185 TSX or GMX would be interesting, the 210 pt though seems perfect match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had issues with feeding and extracting the first trip out to the range and had to take it back in for them to remove some of the cerakote from the trigger group inside the action. Works better now!

While it does not look to be a tack driver (1.5 MOA), it's accuracy with the Federal 210 gr Partition load is acceptable for its intended purpose, and it will place all shots into the center of the gongs at 200 and 300 yards with the Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 scope.

Will spend more time with and the Williams Peep sight later.

Hoping to harvest a moose or elk with it this fall.

I love 88's, 99's, and finnwolf's. I looked for a low priced fixer upper 99 a couple of years ago. Couldn't find a single one, but I did find an 88 in .308 that was in desperate need of some love. The bore was perfect, but it looked like it had sat in a wet basement for years and had at some point the stock came in contact with some fire. I stripped it all down, knocked the rust off, reblued it, sanded and refinished the stock. She isn't perfect but she is beautiful to me and she is a heck of a shooter. And for under 200 bucks including refinishing supplies she was a pretty good bargain. Some day I will have a 99, but for now I am happy with my 88.
The pictures are no longer showing up. Can you repost them? I would love to see your rifle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back