Finaly, I have a recovered accubond on the truck!

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
Think I finaly have an AccuBond to recover during skinning tomorrow.
a whitetail doe hit with a 160 AccuBond with an impact velocity of 1575 fps. the bullet hit mid ribs on a quartering to doe and near as I can tell the bullet is still in the offside ham.
range was 1,350 yards, will post pics tomorrow.
RR

Ridge.......

Do you hunt in one zip code and shoot in the next? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously. I would love to see the picture. Impact at 1500 fps! Too cool!

Ridge_Runner

Congratulations on your doe. Hope you can recover the 160 gr AB.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and details.

JD338

JD338":2jairjo8 said:
Ridge_Runner

Congratulations on your doe. Hope you can recover the 160 gr AB.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and details.

JD338

+1

Ridge_Runner

OK, I feel like a whimp shooting only a few hundred yard at most. And I miss a few at that. What are you shooting and where are the pictures?
We love pictures.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin: ,

The BC for a 160 AB is listed @ .531, so according to that either your muzzle velocity is 3750 or the BC is higher than advertized. Oh yeah, or I miss calculated :lol: :lol:
Geez, that deer had no clue it was being hunted.
NICE!!!! That is screamin' fast, great shot and waitin for pics.

CC.

jtoews,
I am shooting the accubonds at 3575 fps, my testing has came up with an actual BC of .62, using this number my impacts match my chart out to 1000 yards.
waiting for the sun to come up and take pics and skin.
RR

As I was hanging the deer up for skinning I found an exit hole, even at 1575 fps the nosler AccuBond passed through and expanded pretty well, the exit hole was dime sized, just in front of the ham in the long bushy looking hair on the flank. all that was recovered was a 1/4" square piece of the jacket and a bone fragment from the onside rib.
RR

Shucks!
That is a great bullet, great BC and predictable expansion at long range.
Its pretty tough to catch one. :cry:

Congratulations again on your long range success.

JD338

That's some serious performance from a 7mm, 350 FPS on the 7mm RUM. Even from a 7mm RUM that bullet is good for 1k plus a little @ .62

CC.

jtoesws,
the 7mm Allen Mag is pretty much a LR specialty round, its basicly a 7mm /338 lapua mag improved, it has a case capacity of 122 gr of H2o after final forming, with a col shorter than the 7mm STW. It is as good as it gets from a .284 diameter.
I hope to get 900 rounds before rebarreling and am doing all I can to preserve it, round count is now around 400.
I shoot ball powder exclusively in it to preserve the throat and when the rifle arrived I ordered enough (I hope) of WC872 to see this barrel out.
I chose wc872 because it has a much lower flame temp than extruded powders, I tested this in my 7mm stw, because I just couldn't believe what kirby allen told me about how much difference there was. but here is what I found
my standard load of 86 gr of H-1000 behind a 140 gr BT from my STW gave me an average of 3550 fps, and a barrel that was too hot to hold after 3 shots.
The wc872 is just too slow for a 140 so I worked up a load with a 160 AccuBond and loaded 94 gr of WC872 which clocked 3340 fps (very fast for an STW, with absolutely no signs of pressure) and fired a 3 shot group, the barrel was just warm! so it has to be easier on the throat.

when I first recieved the rifle, kirby's reccomendations were, load it up till you lose the pocket after the third firing at full power, I did, the 160 ran 3715 fps with 115 gr of wc872, I thought I don't need that much velocity, so to preserve the cases I backed it down to 110 gr and 3550 fps, this the 5th loading on those cases is starting to go up in pressures, I guess due to work hardening of the brass now clock 3575 and it is more than I need.
The WC872 is temp sensative and works at its best in cold weather, so I have a 5gr. buffer for warmer temps, but in warm hunting weather (60's) you'll still get sticky extraction.
RR
RR

was so dark after retrieval that the pics taken then aren't vieable so here's one I took this morn as a keepsake just to remember that day by, but here it is, not as good as a field pic but all I have.
1350.jpg

RR

Ridge_Runner":2efpoos9 said:
As I was hanging the deer up for skinning I found an exit hole, even at 1575 fps the nosler AccuBond passed through and expanded pretty well, the exit hole was dime sized, just in front of the ham in the long bushy looking hair on the flank. all that was recovered was a 1/4" square piece of the jacket and a bone fragment from the onside rib.
RR

Sorry pop, guess you didn't see this post on page 1,
RR

as long as it expanded I am happy!...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back