fire forming + annealing?

257 roberts

Beginner
Mar 23, 2007
I usually anneal all of my cases to avoid problems such as neck splitting in the future. However, I’m going to be fire forming some brass for the Roberts Improved. I know that annealing softens the brass to make it more flexible, but it also takes away some of the strength from the brass. Should I anneal the necks before or after fire forming, or will I have any problems with the brass if I anneal before fire forming?

257 roberts

Anneal after forming. If you are using new brass, I wouldn't anneal until the cases have been fired a couple times in their new chambering.Rick.

Now I am not an expert on the whole annealing thing. But when I buy Lapua brass, which is considered by many as the best out there, it comes annealed. So when I have annealed my Win or Rem brass I did it before ever fire forming it. Have had nothing but good success doing so.

Long

257 roberts

Fire forming AI brass is as easy as it gets.
Load up your fire forming load, which typically is a max load for the parent cartridge and shoot. Use new brass and you shouldn't have to anneal the cases for several firings, if at all.
Both the 257 AI and the 280 AI are very effecient cartridges. Case trimming and annealing won't be an issue.

JD338

longwinters, all the brass is annealed, the coloration is washed off in a seperate production step. Old 458 WinMag brass had the color remaining. Lapua doesn't use the wash step.Rick.

Rick,

Never knew that .. . good info. So I don't know if it makes a diff or not, but when I have annealed new unshot brass I have had good results ie...I don't see anything bad happening. But I use the candle method and not a propane torch.

Long

longwinters":3bjrcp28 said:
But I use the candle method and not a propane torch.
Long

Long,

Does your method get the cases hot enough?
I was taught to use a propane torch. Set the cases in a pie tin with water. Heat the case mouths cherry red and tip the case over in the water.

JD338

JD,

I don't remember who I read, maybe Barsness. But the method was to hold the brass in your hand, down by the rim, and roll the neck/shoulder in the flame until the brass is too hot to hold onto any longer. Then wipe the soot off and your all set. He said it is the best way because the torch method is often too hot and can be uneven too quickly.

Like I said, I am no expert/metalurgist. But I have never had any split necks. Course maybe you haven't either :wink:

Long

Long,

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :lol:

JD338

Back