First ammo you loaded?

I just started loading a year ago but "pulled the handle" years ago as a kid on .45 ACP.

I didn't set the dies, determine the powder charge, or anything else a reloader does as a kid. I just set a bullet and, "pulled the handle." The first caliber I reloaded for, for real, was the .44 magnum. Then I quickly started loading 357 Sig and 25/06.

The 25/06 was my first foray in to what I consider "real" reloading as it took me a lot of bullet/powder combinations to find the right bullet/powder combo for my rifle. I've since ventured in to loading for my .300 Win Mags and I'm trying to work up a load for my 700P in .300 Win Mag as I type this. I have one "hunting" load that gives me, just barely, sub-MOA in my Model 70 .300 WM and I'll leave it at that for now.

I'm on a quest to beat my 25/06 performance with a load in the 700P but that's going to be hard to do as it shoots the preferred load in to 0.5" groups and it's factory stock. That's going to be hard to beat I think.

So yes, for all the calibers, even the .45 ACP I, "pulled the handle on" as a kid, I reload for.

I first started reloading 12 and 20 ga shotgun shells with my dad. We used to shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays and it went from there.

G'Day Fella's,

That was some time ago now but I remember it very well!
It was in the kitchen of my cousins home and we were using an Australian made Super Simplex turret press!!!
The primers were spread out in a bread and butter plate, and the fired cases in another and so on.......

My, haven't things changed since then!

Doh!
Homer

My first reloading memory was with my grandfather, as he taught me how to reload for my 7mm-08.
140gr Sierra over 36gr of IMR 3031. No brass cleanup, just size and load! It was a mild load but shot great out of my Remington model 7.

First helped a neighbor reload a .270 as I recall in about 1962. He gave me an older Lyman manual which I still have today. Bought my first big game rifle, a Centurion Mauser in .257 Bob which I had to sell in college (along with my 1955 Chevy Belair sport coupe... :cry:) Started reloading for a Rem 700 in 30-06 about 1972, then a Hornet (both on an RCBS Rockchucker which belonged to my boss) and 12 ga on a Mec Jr I bought used.

Back