First Chronograph any thoughts

Scottk

Beginner
Nov 10, 2020
looking to buy a Chronograph don't want to spend a bunch of money is there one to look for and one not to get?

Define your budget.

Screen chronos like Fotis posted are cheap, and if you shoot on cloudy days or first thing in the day they can be quite accurate. I've seen mine be off by 100fps or more when shooting in the sun. These can be cumbersome to set up; be sure to get a good tripod and adapter. And, don't shoot it.

Magnetospeed - very accurate, but it's attached to your barrel and may affect point of impact.

LabRadar - likely a "ton of money" by your definition. However, I own all 3 types listed and its the only one I use anymore.

I actually just picked up my first chrono today, i went with the magnetospeed sporter. It has great reviews, compact, pretty easy to install. I didn't shoot groups with it.

I had the chrono, upgraded to magnetospeed after our range was reconfigured to shoot off berms... no easy way to set up a chrono effectively...
Lab radar is probably next for me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve used a magneto speed for about five years. It certainly is accurate enough for my uses. Very easy to use and it’s hard to shoot, unlike something set up down range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just something to think about with an optical unit... skyscreens are much cheaper than a complete chronograph. No matter how careful we are it does happen. I've shot 2 so far. Oehler screens were $25 each about 30 years ago & are up to $45 this year.

So giving you good and bad on each..

Chrono’s are normally 10-15’ from the firing position. Means you have to line up the chrono with the shot. Not too hard on a flat surface. A pain at my club where they elevated shooting positions 10’ to reduce the risk of a bullet leaving the range. I haven’t used a chrono since that change. You heard some guys mention,it’s possible to shoot your chrono. If you hit the diffusers or rods those are not expensive. Shoot the unit, it’s a do over.

Magnetospeed clamps on the barrel. You can get the sporter version for 150-179. Solves the lining up the shot, but some guns is moves the poi or could open the group. With the magnetospeed, I’d shoot a ladder test to find stable velocity nodes, then I’d load that node for group measurements, at a couple different seating depths. The way it attaches to the barrel is with a pad, strap, lever and thumb screw to tighten it. I did have to order replacement pads eventually.
Works great around overhead baffles.
I’d imagine someone could shoot a magnetospeed. I haven’t seen it done yet. I did transfer the data to my phone via the cable option.

LabRadar. About 500-600 to acquire, but it does more than muzzle v. Measures the whole flight of the bullet.
At out club, we have a series of overhead baffles. At our club, Most the guys using lab radar get the muzzle V and maybe to the second baffle 15-20’yards, then the radar looses the bullet. That’s not fault of the device, but a sign of us diligently trying to avoid landing a bullet off the property.

Even with those draw backs, I’m saving my pennies for a Labradar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input I thinks the Magnetospeed is going to be my choice thanks all for the help.

I use the Magnetospeed Sporter myself. I’ve worn through one bayonet but the new one, they replaced under warranty has a nice steel guard that helps protect it from my 300 RUM.

BEST chrono I’ve ever used and it’s just easy too.

I have a Magnetospeed Sporter and couldn’t be more happy. It does what it should and does it well.

Back