Lyman Gen 6

No. Either way provides good, consistent powder charges. I do prefer spherical powders if I'm using the manual powder measure/dispenser to get more consistent powder charges. If I'm using some of the stick powders and a manual powder measure, that's when the powder trickler gets put to use.

Sometimes with the electronic measure - the doggone tiny spheres of powder bounce right out of the brass powder pan! That can get irritating. :)

Also with the electronic Gen 6... it's entirely possible to forget to close the "door" used to unload powder from the unit... Then the next time I poured a can of powder into it... the powder poured right out that door making a bit of a mess. That too was irritating. Pretty much everyone I've talked to who has used it has forgotten to close that piece after emptying the unit of powder... Sigh...

It's also a bit of a pain to clean, although not all that bad after getting the hang of it. Lyman does supply a nice little brush that helps.

I like using the Gen 6 mostly when I'm loading up 50 or more rifle cartridges with stick powders. I can get into a good rhythm of seating the bullet while the electronic powder measure is metering out another powder charge for the next case. Makes a nice smooth work flow.

Guy
My Chargemaster is guilty of some of your comments on the Gen6. Yes it slops ball powder everywhere especially after I reprogramed the dispense settings. Yes that dang drain forgets to close itself to.

Back