First kill with the 168g VLD

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Last night I was able to put drops on my 7 mag out to 800 yards. It was shooting very well at 700. Anyways, my dad wanted to go yote hunting this morning so I figured I would bring the 7 mag in case one decided to show up on the other side of a wheatfield. We had just barely got started up a gravel road and I saw a dog running down the middle of it. I told my dad to step on it as the yote ran down into the ditch, then crossed up onto the bank. By the time my dad stopped, the yote was hauling butt. I got out and flipped the legs down on the bipod, I figured the shot to be about 100 yards was all, but no running yote is easy to hit. I led him a little to far, but connected on the 1st shot. The 168g VLD tore through his neck leaving a baseball size hole. This was the only one we seen for the day. The last 4 coyotes I've shot have all been under 100 yards, but have to admit, I'm thinning out the young and dumb ones The other pic is from my 7 mag last night. This was at 700 yards. The 2 shots above the white box were my last 2 shots. Above and to the right is a 3 shot group that was fired in 10-15 mph winds. The 2 shots measure 2.5", the 3 shots group measures 4". They were both shot off the bench. Also, I had a little fun on the steel plate. I was able to connect on 3-4. The 168g VLD does not go all the way through the 3/8" steel I have, but it sure does leave a crater!

281qwe9.jpg

281qyh5.jpg

281qzao.jpg

:grin: You are having way too much fun! The coyote might disagree if he were able to voice an opinion though.. Nice shooting!

I would almost have to agree with Guy on the having to much fun thing, but I been having a little.

I had the BIG 270 out this weekend working with the 150gr Solid Bases. I was hoping to get out to 1150 with them but the mirage got up quick and nasty, so I just settled for busting the 500yd plate a few times. I was using 98grs of the 872 and fireforming a few more cases, here are a few pics of the plate,

First two on the plate,
P1010008.jpg

Dialed in somewhat better on the 2.5" bull,
P1010014.jpg

I might try to aquire a few BT's to see if they will group as well. If not, it's sure going to suck when I run out of my limited supply of these. But then I do have plenty of the 169.5gr Wildcats to use up as well. :) :)

Back