First Mule Deer

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I was finally able to get my first mule deer. I have been blessed to get all sorts of game here but never a mulie so I was happy to finally cut a tag. I drew an antlerless tag down by Kamloops and went out with my good friend there and his son which was great.

I used the 130 gr Sierra HPBT from my 260 Remington. A shot right around 200 yards through the lungs at the top of the heart did the trick, she only made it around 40 yards down hill at the most with a blood trail a blind man could have followed. This was the first time I have ever used a Sierra bullet but it won't be the last, the 130 gr HPBT performed very well.

I took the shot from the little bench in the top right hand corner of the photo.

As we dressed the deer and relaxed out there we kept seeing other deer on the ridge directly behind us in the pictures above.

A young California bighorn ram checking us out.

Congratulations, Gerry! She looks nice and fat. She will provide you with fine table this year. I do like the Sierra hollow point; it is an excellent bullet.

That Sierra HPBThas always worked well for me too. The 85gr 6mm bullet is a dandy deer/fur bullet.

Congrats on a tasty doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, seeing her up close I realised mule deer does are quite a beautiful animal. We don't have many here so rarely see them.

I wanted to try Sierra bullets for myself and was impressed as mentioned above, it put a good wound channel through and about a 1 1/2" exit wound. Not too much different than the Ballistic Tips and Accubonds I usually use.

In the spirit of trying new things I hope to shoot a black bear with the 170 gr Berger from my 270 Win provided they shoot well, but that is for another thread.........

Gerry's deer meat is nicely wrapped up in my freezer and will head north at some point this winter. Hunting these critters is always enjoyable and the open timber in the undulating terrain is a favourite. Three weeks earlier my son at 12 years old took his first big game animal here (two point buck). Some good memories are being made and I hope Gerry left wanting more! ;)

BCbillies":1lr7jcoo said:
Gerry's deer meat is nicely wrapped up in my freezer and will head north at some point this winter. Hunting these critters is always enjoyable and the open timber in the undulating terrain is a favourite. Three weeks earlier my son at 12 years old took his first big game animal here (two point buck). Some good memories are being made and I hope Gerry left wanting more! ;)

Yes for sure :grin: it was excellent company in some beautiful country. I'm looking forward to eating some of that meat, it will be worth the wait.

Hope to see a thread soon of your boy's first animal. He is an impressive young guy in a lot of different ways and turning into a great hunter quickly too. He can spot game very well and has a keen mind. It is nice to see him doing so well.

BCbillies":ywcl7hjm said:

Congratulations on your son taking his first deer. It is always great to hear of younger hunters connecting. Man, that country looks nice. I hunted around Kamloops and Savona and up Deadman Road many times in years past. It was always great country for me. In fact, I took my first mule deer beyond Vidette Lake. You are living in some beautiful country. Gerry was privileged to see it and hunt it, that's for sure.

Great pictures and shooting Gerry.
That bighorn picture is cool. Neat animal.

Bcbillies,
Congrats to you and your son!

Kodiak":2ii9cjrd said:
Fresh butterflied tenderloin, ummm good!

I can hardly wait, I like to BBQ them, Montreal steak spice seasoning and rare. Tastes great, we usually have them with eggs for breakfast :)

gerry ,congratulations on your first Mulie as DrMike stated she will taste real well this coming winter :wink:.
I am also glad that BCbillies's Son was able to score on a Mulie Buck so a big congratulations to your son and also to you BCbillie for introducing another young person to the great sport of hunting.
Look forward to some great posts from BCbillie in the future as you do live in some of the most beautiful country in the world.
If you are a friend of gerry's I know that you are a fine hunter and a even better person so welcome to the forum (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulations on your first mule deer. It must feel good to finally hit that hunting milestone. Great photos.

Congrats !
The first one is always the hardest.

One of these days I too hope to take my first mulie .

Nice fat doe there Gerry congrats on the first!

I'd wanted to shoot my first mulie this year also but my innnwr Michigander had me popping a good sized whitetail when he jumped up instead.

Someday.

They are not only beautiful animals but live in beautiful country!!

Back