First “real” rifle

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
My oldest grandson turns 10 soon and I thought it was time for a rifle. He’s been shooting my old Glenfield 60 for a while, so I picked up a Savage Mark-II heavy barrel 22lr. And all the different types of ammo I could find locally…surely one of them will shoot nicely. I need to find a scope. It’ll be used for 50 yard targets and squirrels and rabbits at whatever range they show up. Nothing too complicated, although I’ll always be with him, I want it simple enough for him. Somewhere around the $175-$200 range. So any suggestions???

Attachments

• 7C0092F4-5A39-450F-AAEC-53A0D32753E4.jpeg
    7C0092F4-5A39-450F-AAEC-53A0D32753E4.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 12
  • AF82F4FA-DA54-4F13-B227-CB5F583B6259.jpeg
    AF82F4FA-DA54-4F13-B227-CB5F583B6259.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 76BF08A0-4511-4255-A33D-9DB27DCD360B.jpeg
    76BF08A0-4511-4255-A33D-9DB27DCD360B.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 12
That is a thoughtful gesture, for sure. Congratulations to your grandson on his upcoming birthday. I really have no concept of costs in the States any more, but I should think there are a number of scopes in that price range that will serve you well.

I realized I have a vortex 4-12x40 I pulled off a Mossberg package rifle, good enough to get him comfortable with a variable magnification scope, and out shooting it some. I think the parallax is set at 100 yds, so I'll be looking for one with an adjustable parallax.

Last edited:
I had the exact same rifle, and it was a shooter. Try some Federal Game shock if you can find them. Grouped well for me. As for scope have you looked at the Burris 3x9 Drop tine? Has holdover dots regulated for 22lr with 38gr bullet load. I put one on my Ruger 10/22 and like it. Very clear and tracks well. Not overly complicated. Dan.

I had the exact same rifle, and it was a shooter. Try some Federal Game shock if you can find them. Grouped well for me. As for scope have you looked at the Burris 3x9 Drop tine? Has holdover dots regulated for 22lr with 38gr bullet load. I put one on my Ruger 10/22 and like it. Very clear and tracks well. Not overly complicated. Dan.
Thanks Dan, I’ll look into the federals if I can find them, I’m pretty confident the Aquila 38 subs will do for hunting, they’ve been accurate in a couple of 22’ the S-K standard plus should make a good target round, but we’ll just have to see. l’ll check out the scope.

I'd recommend a Leupold rimfire scope so the paralax is already set for the appropriate yardage.
Either the 4 power or the 2-7 variable will work well. They did also make a 3-9 and a 4-12, if you can find one.
Been happy with mine!
May be a little more money than some other makes/models, but with a lifetime warranty, it will still be running strong when he is ready to hand the rifle and scope down to his grandkids!

I've put the burris rimfire 3x9 on a few of our 22s and works great wish they had the 2x7 on the shelf when i was in the market, i like a compact scope on the 22 unless im shooting silhouette

For ammo i have heard good things about that norma tac, if it shoots for you go to normashooting.com, you can buy it there for about half of what it is on the shelf right now

I've put the burris rimfire 3x9 on a few of our 22s and works great wish they had the 2x7 on the shelf when i was in the market, i like a compact scope on the 22 unless im shooting silhouette

For ammo i have heard good things about that norma tac, if it shoots for you go to normashooting.com, you can buy it there for about half of what it is on the shelf right now
I caught it on sale at Palmetto state for $42.50 for a brick. I think their normal price is about $45

I caught it on sale at Palmetto state for $42.50 for a brick. I think their normal price is about $45
On the shelf here it was running 70-80 a brick and the only 22lr you could find, at norma its under 40 last when they have it on sale, i have a few just haven't had time and decent weather line up so i can try it out

I bought my grandson a Marlin 22 , and put a centerfire nikon prostaff 3-9 scope on it . I think the scope was $100 . Nikon is done with rifle scopes , so I'm guessing there is no warranty , that's not a big deal for me . I also bought the youth stock for it . he has shot balloon's at 100 yards with it , using the bogpod tripod .

P4220261.JPG

P4220262.JPG

I bought my grandson a Marlin 22 , and put a centerfire nikon prostaff 3-9 scope on it . I think the scope was $100 . Nikon is done with rifle scopes , so I'm guessing there is no warranty , that's not a big deal for me . I also bought the youth stock for it . he has shot balloon's at 100 yards with it , using the bogpod tripod .

View attachment 16610

View attachment 16611
I have a Marlin 60 dad bought somewhere around 1970. I’ve always been happy with how well it functions and pretty dang accurate, too. When I first started thinking about getting my grandson a 22, what first came to mind was a marlin bolt action. But the Savage just fell in my lap.

I ended up ordering an Athlon Talos 3-12x40 with adjustable parallax. I have several Althlons and have been happy with them. Good warranty and customer Svc, too.

Back