First time loading the ELD Match

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Wanted to do a load development for match shooting for my new 308 Crusader GAP. Loaded up 36 rounds total and split between two powders. Using the Hornady ELD Match 178 grain. I loaded up 3 round groups of 18 for the Varget and another 18 for the IMR 4064, both in .4 increments. I rarely load Hornady bullets, and ELD is my first time. Tried them out at the range. Wind was blowing from 5 o clock position at around 12 mph and I am amazed at the tiny groups. 3 shots into one hole for both powders. Will redo testing with two 5 shot groups ( 10 each ) from each powder soon. Sorry I have not tried a Nosler Match bullet yet. :lol:

W05gwR3.jpg

gt3fCJj.jpg

jL2Ptub.jpg

Thanks, COAL is 2.830 . I have not chrono'ed either, the Oeheler 35 don't work on cloudy days. Need to go on a better day.

Thanks!
Is that how the rifle shoots with other bullets, i.e. Berger, Lapua etc, or is that better than normal for that rifle. (trying to get a comparison versus normal I guess)
I'm just curious if you feel they're shooting better than your normal load?
Sorry for the questions.

Dwh7271":1tfjbtri said:
Thanks!
Is that how the rifle shoots with other bullets, i.e. Berger, Lapua etc, or is that better than normal for that rifle. (trying to get a comparison versus normal I guess)
I'm just curious if you feel they're shooting better than your normal load?
Sorry for the questions.

It's my first "Match" bullet development besides the 168 SMK but the ELD made tighter one hole groups. The other load developments I recently made were with "hunting" bullets, the best grouped .2 MOA with 165 and 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips which is acceptable for a hunting bullet. SGK shot .2 -.3 MOA. Just have not worked up with Berger yet but have new boxes of 168 and 175 VLD plus the 185 Jugs on my shelf. That will come soon, but the ELD-M is shooting very well and I'll stick with it for now. Most normal loads are .2 - .3 MOA which is outstanding with developments. GA Precision does make great rifles.

Awesome shooting rifle. Those Hornadys do seem very accurate.

If you get a chance, run one of the 178's into water jugs. I'd love to see the expansion at 308 speeds.

SJB358":2f9hok1a said:

If you get a chance, run one of the 178's into water jugs. I'd love to see the expansion at 308 speeds.

Just a reminder, its a Match bullet ( ELD-M ), not the ELD-X. What range would you try it on? I'll try it soon as soon as I finish drinking 7 gallons of milk. Milk does a body good. :lol:

TackDriver284":jdvt9okd said:
Thanks, COAL is 2.830 . I have not chrono'ed either, the Oeheler 35 don't work on cloudy days. Need to go on a better day.

Writing this to myself as a side note,,,someone told me to remove the top skyscreens on cloudy days and it will work. Never knew that. (y)

TackDriver284":3jmbm8l3 said:
SJB358":3jmbm8l3 said:

Just a reminder, its a Match bullet ( ELD-M ), not the ELD-X. What range would you try it on? I'll try it soon as soon as I finish drinking 7 gallons of milk. Milk does a body good. :lol:

I'd try them at 25 yards or so. I'd bet your not running them over 2600. Should be a good test to see what comes out of the jugs.

Can't wait to see what comes out of it.

I'll bet they'll do pretty good in the jugs at those speeds.

Be sure to post your results in the Bullet Test section!

bobnob":sk295r5d said:
I'll bet they'll do pretty good in the jugs at those speeds.

Be sure to post your results in the Bullet Test section!

For darned sure. Love that section!

Awesome results! That's the way it's supposed to work on paper and by golly It did!
Re milk jugs.... I don't think you need to line up more than six jugs and probably won't need more than 4 or 5.
I would expect performance just like the previous amax but maybe we'll be surprised.

Back