fixed power scope for long range shooting?

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
In looking for glass for the new tubegun I was suggested to look at the fixed SWFA SS series of riflescopes. I generally use my optics at the range on max magnification anyway so this was a “new” idea that I hadn’t considered before. What are the drawbacks of running a fixed scope on a long range rifle, and how does the SWFA SS series work out.

the 16x42 SS classic was the scope I was looking at.

I've never owned a high mag fixed power scope, but if strictly a target gun, my main concern with a fixed power scope would be dealing with mirage and the risk of selecting a scope with too much magnification. With mirage problems getting more pronounced at higher magnifications, my experience with higher mag scopes (4-16x50 and 6.5-20x50 varmint scopes) is that it doesn't take a very warm day before the mirage affect makes shooting at the highest mags difficult. I found the majority of the time (whether it be shooting ground squirrels or targets, using these scopes as a spotter, etc...) that I had both scopes dialed back to around 14x to offset environmental conditions. Maybe fixed power scopes inherently handle mirage better???

The guys back in the day did pretty well with fixed 10x scopes. I think for a true LR gun there's no drawback at all.

I like fixed powers on my hunting rifles...I'd probably like one on a LR rifle too.

Leopold makes a 8x, 10x and a 12x and Schmidt and Bender has a SUPERB line of fixed scopes...their 10x42 would be the Schmidt on that gun. Don't know about the SWFA SS series- who or where they're made but the price indicates China or the Phillipines. Maybe good, maybe bad...and maybe both.

Most of the time when I used a scope for 600 yard prone competition, I used a fixed 12x Leupold. Shot good scores with it. I still have that scope and use it on my .204 Ruger varmint rifle.

Our USMC snipers used fixed 10x Unertl scopes on their M40A1 rifles.

Grandpa and Dad used a fixed 20x Lyman on the .22 match rifle. I only use that rifle & scope for practice, not matches, but it does a fine job still.

The "Super Sniper" 10x scopes are considered to be an excellent scope for the money. In the past when guys got them, they learned to clean the grease out of the adjustments (I don't know the right words) and use a much lighter lube, so that the "clicks" were more positive.

Guy

http://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI

After watching this video I went ahead and ordered the SWFA SS 16x42 with mrad reticle. I think it will be a good fit on the 308 tube gun.

An acquaintance of mine has a 12x42 SS with mildot reticle on one of his tactical rifles. After handling it and looking thru the scope I decided I wanted more magnification than 12, but was afraid 20x wouldn't be bright enough due to its small objective to magnification ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back