Fixing to get back on my 444 project

reflex264

Handloader
Jun 13, 2007
The 444 with the buck is the gun that is getting fixed up. The gun with the doe is the 1964 early produciton gun. I swapped the scope out on the 1964
to a more correct steel tube Weaver. I need to do some new pics.
444 buck hr.JPG444 doe.jpg
Some time back I started working on a 1968 model 444 first model. The gun is a tack driver with some cosmetic issues . I decided to fix it up then life happened. I have been fooling with probably 50 handguns. I was cleaning up in the loading room last week and stumbled upon a box of goodies. The box is marked 444.
Inside the box is the new barrel bands, Skinner Express sights and Treebone stocks. Hmmmm. I think I forgot something. The gun is getting re-blued, rebuilt and upgraded. I love the cartridge and the old rifle. I am not just going to restore it because I have another first model that was made in the first month of production that is in gorgeous condition. This is what happens when you have too many irons in the fire.

Man, that's pretty cool. There are worse problems than to many irons in the fire, especially nice ones like that.

I had a 444 for several years in my early 20s, life happens and I had to sell mine. Really enjoyed that rifle hunting for rain forest Black tails in western Oregon. Good luck with your project.

Welcome back Roy. Good to hear your back in the 444 game. Post some pictures when you get this project done.

JD338

Welcome back Roy. Good to hear your back in the 444 game. Post some pictures when you get this project done.

JD338
I will. Going to sart tearing it down soon. Nothing like having another gun that I have plenty of brass and bullets for. The 444 is one of the most underated cartridges in existence.

I love my 444. My favorite lever cartridge. It is an older 1:38 Marlin but shoots well!

fDfBbx7.jpg

hizdsHL.jpg

pcxIDrL.jpg

Back