FL vs Neck

I went to williamsport 1000 yard range June 2016 . I kind of thought I wanted to get into this . we shot 5 shots each , 2 guys shot the same target . I shot first so my holes got taped over . you can see the holes through the tape . I shot this 5 shot group at 1000 yards . this brass was sized using a Lee collet die , and a redding body die . I had pretty well figured out my windage , but missed the elevation by a lot . I broke a few clay birds on the 1000 yard berm , so I thought I was good . I'm not sure if the berm is that far behind the targets or exactly what happened . the score is poor , 20 out of a possible 50 , but it is about 5.75" group size that I like .there is not much elevation in the group , which makes me feel it's a good reloading process . I keep the target hanging on my cabinet .

P1220029.JPG

P1220032.JPG

I have only neck sized by using the FL die and setting it so it just barely touches the shoulder. Sorry, have never measured to see if this is bumping the shoulder, or how much. The action has closed freely. I only use these cases for target practice or reloading, unless limited in my brass/ammo supply, then will use 1x fired cases for hunting ammo (has only happened on a couple of ocassions over the past 30 years).

Will be a different story with the 250AI, as I have to fireform cases most of the time. I do have some properly headstamped Quality Cartridge brass with the proper shoulder that I will not have to fireform first. Will have to compare loads from fireformed Winchester cases to those in the QC cases before making a hundred rounds of hunting ammo.

I have previously read that some rifle action types function better with full length sizing as compared to neck sizing. Might have been AR's...I cannot recall at the moment...I only know that I did not have that rifle type, so was not too worried about it.

Back