Florida Keys.

Enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Have fun on your fishing charter and post pictures.

JD338

Well I booted 4 Tarpon today. Biggest one took off running south west and was deep into my backing when I just tightened up and broke him off. Two shook me on the jump and another was just a case of not paying attention to my line and I had wrapped a loop around the butt of the rod. Sounded like a rifle shot when the line broke. Managed one small Tarpon to the boat on an 8 wt. Also caught some snook and snapper.

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 9
Probably not on this trip, guides are expensive, boat rentals too. Plus there is so much shallow water you gotta know where you're going. No way I could find my way back to where my very capable guide took me. Will see what happens. Haven't seen much beach access for fly rod, will keep looking.
Just found out it's snowing at home, 75 here at 0600.

Spent yesterday in Everglades National Park, the place is amazing. Catherine knows some folks there, she did her undergradute studies at Florida State. In any event we went hunting pythons, actually saw a couple but couldn’t get to them. My first reaction to hiking through flooded timber that contained 4 species of poisonous snakes, crocodile and alligator, not to mention panther and black bears, was these guys must be smoking crack! Did see crocks and gators and one cotton mouth. Finished the day with an 8 mile ocean kayak to a bird sanctuary where the everglades flows into the sea.

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8272.jpeg
    IMG_8272.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8314.jpeg
    IMG_8314.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8332.jpeg
    IMG_8332.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 9
Great pictures Don. Looks like you both are in your element.

JD338

That appears to be a grand conclusion to your venture out to the Keys! Great pictures, Don.

Spent yesterday in Everglades National Park, the place is amazing. Catherine knows some folks there, she did her undergradute studies at Florida State. In any event we went hunting pythons, actually saw a couple but couldn’t get to them. My first reaction to hiking through flooded timber that contained 4 species of poisonous snakes, crocodile and alligator, not to mention panther and black bears, was these guys must be smoking crack! Did see crocks and gators and one cotton mouth. Finished the day with an 8 mile ocean kayak to a bird sanctuary where the everglades flows into the sea.
Boy, I'm sure glad I spent yesterday trapped in the office :rolleyes:

You planning on trying to get to Dry Tortuga? Always wanted to do a trip out there, but the only time I ever had the time is when I didn't have the money. It sure is a beautiful place.

Back