? for Combined Tech Ballistic Tip users

whit

Beginner
Dec 10, 2008
How well do these bullets hold together on deer? Also does the coating limit the copper fouling? My rifle barrel fouls quickly even with using Tubb's Final Finish and JB bore compound. Also would this bullet stay together on Elk?

whit

Welcome to the forum.

The BT /CT line of bullets are a solid base cup and core. What caliber and weight are you considering for elk?

JD338

As long as you use the proper caliber and weight you will do ok. Such as a 180 grain in a 30 caliber.

What caliber will you use it in?

30-06 for elk, thinking of 165- 180 grain bullets. I also have a .243 win. that my wife uses for deer but Sierras and Hornady SST bullets seem to open too quickly and sometimes come apart.

whit

The 180 gr BT in your 30-06 will make for a great deer and elk bullet. A 180 gr AB would be excellent.
For your brides 243 Win, go with the 95 gr BT. It kiils deer like lighting.

JD338

I will speak from expierence. I have shot about 4 or 5 deer with the CT Silvertips............LOVE THEM!! They DO NOT hold togther well though, the core will always seperate. I have done some testing on them last summer. If I remember correctly, they retain 30%-40% of their weight. They really tear things up. If I was going to shoot an elk with one, I would want to make sure it was a heart or lung shot for sure and not over 300 yards away probably. I might get looked down on for saying this, BUT they are almost exactly like the Hornady SST's except with a molly coating. I say this from expierence. I would deffantly feel better using the accubonds on elk. Thats just my opinion. The accubonds will usually retain about 90% or more of its weight. (Please correct me if im wrong) I would feel better with longer shots and shoulder shots with the AccuBond because it will have more bone crushing power per say.

As for the fowling of the barrel, Mine stays pretty clean.

heres a previous thread I started, look if your interested.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=

Hope this helps.

Just my goofy way of looking at things, but if I'm shooting an elk with a BT, I would prefer it be out there a ways... the decreased velocity would help the bullet stay together a little better. That being said, I would MUCH rather use a Partition or AB for elk.

Whit. You might try NOT using the JB bore paste and just use a regular cleaner that cleans the carbon out for a while. I have found that when you clean a factory barrel or one of the cheaper after market barrels that are really ruff on the inside really well with JB or something that really takes all the copper fouling out of the barrel they do not shoot well and they seem to really build up fouling quicker than if you just clean with something like Hoppies #9. Hoppies will take some copper fouling out also.

First off, the Ballistic Tip is NOT a first or even a second choice elk bullet.
No, I did not say that they wouldn't work. The CT Ballistic Silver Tip is just another gimmick by Winchester to dress up their "Darth Vadar" line of ammunition with the nickle cases. Winchester has marketed some sort of coating on their bullets for as long as I can remember. Does Lubaloy sound familiar to anyone? Performance wise, they are just a Ballistic Tip with a coating. Does the coating help with fouling? I don't know. My friend's 7RM shoots the Winchester factory stuff very well, but it does seem to take more patches to get the black stuff out when cleaning.

As far as your barrel fouling up quickly, like others mentioned, try to remove just enough copper fouling to retain accuracy. Most factory barrels benefit from some copper fouling to fill in the micro-voids. I have two factory rifles that shoot best when I can see copper fouling at the muzzle. All my other rifles like at least 10-12 shots down a clean tube before accuracy returns to normal.

Use the 95b grain BT for the 243. Period. Best deer bullet in that caliber.
For you 06, use 180 Partition or AB. I haven't tried the AB's yet. Just got my first pack for Christmas for my soon to arrive 7Mag. Got some new 180 Bt's for my 06, for deer and some new 180 Partitions for my sons 300 win mag for Elk.

I have killed elk with the 30-06 and 180 BT's. Shot was at 30 yards and MV was 2760 fps. Worked just fine. I know a guy who uses the 180
BT at 3300 fps from a 300 rum Sendero and has killed some bull elk under 100 yards and has not recovered one yet.

Personnally for factory ammo, I would choose the Winchester Supreme CT Accubonds. 180gr for 30-06/300WM/300WSM would be great calibers. I would choose the Accubonds over the BST's especially if going after elk/moose IMO.

I use the BST's in my 243 for coyotes and wolves. WOULD LOVE to see the CT Accubonds available to reloader but that wont happen.

Other than that, the Accubonds for reloading are still great. Its all I use in my 270WSM / 300WM / and my 338-06AI. Just would prefer the lubalox coated ones - as my rifles sho the factory ammo superbly, but my reloads are even better.

I'd choose the AccuBond or Partition on elk.

BT's kill deer like the hammer of Thor .... elk are larger thicker skinned critters.

Shot placement is everything. A .22 to the noggin' would work also, but most folks ain't sneaky enough to get that close.

Back