For the Canadians here: Extend our Gun Rights!

astroman86

Beginner
Jan 21, 2010
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ccwb ... trycanada/

"Whether you are a hiker, biker, fishermen, or scout, the lure of the beauty of Canada's back-country wilderness is not easily dismissed. As anyone who has traveled these areas knows, treks into such wilderness make for some of the most memorable experiences in life.

Existing Canadian firearms regulations currently allow for the carrying of concealed weapons by scientists working in remote areas, such as biologists or geologists, and also for trappers who obviously spend a great deal of time in the wild. The benefit of this existing regulation allows such individuals to better protect themselves from predatory animal attacks, with the use of a weapon which is easy to "pack-out" due to its light weight, and which can also be concealed so as to not generate any undue concern from other back-country users.

CCWBackCountryCanada is a proposition to amend the existing regulations, allowing authorization for persons lawfully permitted to own and use restricted concealable firearms, to carry such firearms while they are hiking, fishing, camping, etc, in back-country areas of Canada with known predatory animal populations.

This amendment begins right here with you. Once enough signatures are collected, a formal proposition to amend the current firearms legislation will be brought forward to the Federal Government and the RCMP's Canadian Firearms Program."

Good, commonsense petition. I can't see the Liberals, NDP and Bloc permitting this to go forward. But who knows, if enough Liberal and NDP MPs with rural ridings get on board, it may just fly.

Yah, well I figure why not create a law which actually benefits law-abiding people? That's an original idea which makes sense...which is exactly why the left would never go for it, ha.

From CTV.ca comments section on article about Liberal voting against Tories on gun law:

"Lawful gun owners are the most responsible people you can find in Canada, period. Why make more and more laws and regulations for moral and law-abiding citizens to have to abide by? Who is this helping? As it stands, I'm not allowed to take a sidearm when hiking in the back-country to defend against coyotes and cougars BECAUSE I obey the law. But criminals get to go right ahead and do just that, and more. These laws only serve to restrict the freedom of law-abiding, moral citizens, while criminality remains unchallenged. Why must I have my ability to express morality and responsibility curbed, just because there's a potentiality of some criminal, somewhere, doing something stupid? That's dangerous reasoning which does not serve the greater society, in creating a society of individuals able to express morality and responsibility in the first place. These laws take away THAT potentiality."

There are some good comments on that particular article. Canadians in the west and outside of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto know that farmers and hunters are not the ones shooting police and robbing banks.

Back