Forestry for hunting land

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Just signed the purchase agreement on 40 acres of prime hunting land in Northern MN so I thought I'd start a post on this. In addition to being a bit of a play by play on my parcel, interested in what others are doing to improve the odds on their property.

My parcel is in the boreal transition zone, approximate latitude of Duluth. Current cover is largely pole sized jack pine mixed with aspen. Some scattered openings with abundant natural browse, some isolated stands of mature aspen, jack pine, black spruce, and white pine. Site is rather wet, soil sandy and acidic in PH. Heavy deer sign including rubs on large trees and scrapes left over from last fall. Appears to have been used by wintering deer, noting fresh and heavy browsing above snow line. A 10' wide ditch transects the property nearly in half East to West. Bounded by roads on 2 sides, hay field on North with no-access tax forfeit land to the NW, forming a swampy block of about 600 acres. Cover is very tight, should hold deer well, even with some activity. They tend to sit tight in this kind of cover in my part of the country. Deer movement is heavily concentrated parallel to the ditch. My wife and I primarily hunt deer with rifles, but may take up more archery hunting as well. More thorough scouting and timber survey will be done after closing.

Our long term goal is to maintain quality deer, grouse and woodcock hunting and manage for productive timber harvest and firewood/building poles as needed. Any suggestions?

That sounds like a prize acquisition for your family. Congratulations! Should see some good accounts of game in coming years.

Here in MI the DNR/DEQ has forestry agents who will come for free to personally evaluate the land for just this reason. We did this when my Dad purchased 40 acres about 15 years ago. You might want to see if MN does the same. There's nothing like taking advantage of the benefits of your tax dollars at work, and improving the land as well.

Otherwise the Ruffed Grouse Society has naturalists on staff, and MN is a hotbed of activity for them. They might also be able to help.

Dr Vette - that's what I was thinking - that it wouldn't be too difficult to find a professional who can evaluate the property, and advise on how to optimize it for wildlife/hunting.

Guy

If you decide to log some of it off to recoup some investment, I can find out the name of the outfit my buddy used on his land near Cloquet (Mahtowa actually). He was happy with the job they did and what they paid him. His land had planted pine and those things just have a finite life span. His started coming down like crazy in summer storms, so he knew it was time to log them off. He recouped about 2/3 his original purchase price, so he was happy. The new aspen/poplars didn't hurt deer and grouse activity either. Just saying at some point, logging helps renew the forest even if you did selective harvesting. Enjoy your new land. BN

I do have an education in forestry. Have a pretty good handle on what I want to do management wise for forest land. Just wondering about some of the more wildlife and hunting specific things some of you might have done.

We had the DNR come out, as mentioned. They recommended a list of foresters, and one then came out and evaluated the land. We had some of the older trees logged off, and that helped open up some areas. For a few years the number of grouse really increased, but they did not seem to stay around.

A nice side benefit was that the loggers made a road through the land, so we have far better access at present.

We tried to "hinge cut" a section of trees to create a bedding area, but every one of them died no matter what technique we used for the cutting. We also tried to make a food plot, but that also was not successful.

...sounds like you are going to be doing some management activity, get w/ your county agent, see if they have a "wildlife" reseeding mix you can throw on skid trails, landings, etc.

Both parcels of private land I have access to have been at least partially clear cut. It's pretty much all we can do to keep shooting lanes and trails cleared, which in and of itself is helpful to the animals and hunting them. If you are going to go to the effort and expense of putting in a food plot, have the soil tested. Apple trees failed, and clover was only moderately successful for us. But we failed to tedt the soil and add nutrients.

Another friend has a bigger plot of land and his food plot did well after testing and adding nutrients. Most plots you put in require regular mowing. If you live a ways from your land, that is something to consider. Good luck with it. I'm sure you will love it.

Yeah, apple trees are definitely not an option. I am looking into some hardy legumes that will grow in Northern climes. I have a small tiller attachment that goes on my split shaft trimmer that would be useful for scarifying small clearings and shooting lanes for some planting. Any sort of proper crop is not feasible. Other than that, selecting for natural browse in addition to good cover and encouraging some grassy spots for bedding and fawning are the best I can do.

I would love to do some prescribed burning, but the DNR is justifiably quite touchy about that in jack pine areas. Best I can do is get some good brush piles going with snow cover and burn through. Right now I'm just waiting for appraisers and loan agents to get their...act... together.

FINALLY was able to close on the property. What a pain in the arse. Appraiser on my refi-loan was the issue. Had to threaten him with litigation to get him to do his job. 9 weeks from contact to submission to underwriting. Fortunately my loan agent was very diligent and helpful in putting together an accelerated closing.

Took the extra time today to do a more thorough assessment of the property in wet/normal early summer conditions. Abundant natural browse and herbaceous cover present. Evidence of does and fawns feeding and bedding. Some larger tracks moving through. Aproximately 50% of the property is heavy winter cover... 30-50' tall jack pine and black spruce very dense. Remainder is mixed conifer/aspen/birch/marshy grass, alder, dogwood and willow, even some mountain ash and chokecherry. Outstanding natural deer food and cover all around. Site is very wet, but there are a few high sandy spots where I could probably get sudan grass, sorghum or sugar beets to grow. I think other than creating some small openings and maintaining some trails, stands and shooting lanes, not much will be required to maintain already quality whitetail habitat. I may focus my efforts on ruffed grouse and minimizing balsam fir.

Will probably get some pics up after this weekend. Going up to work on the camp site and survey boundaries.

That all sounds great. You've done well. Looking forward to the pictures.

We grow a lot of sorghum. Three varieties including tall and sorghum Sudan. The Sudan is at least 8 feet tall and as thick as the hair on a dogs back. All of it holds birds and deer holding up well until December or January. The deer pretty well leave it alone until fall when the seed ripens.
We can't grow corn, tried the last two years and the deer obliterated about 40 acres of it before it was three feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These pictures are fairly representative of the cover mix. They don't show any of the mature timber. Got out over the weekend, concentrated on surveying boundaries, clearing campsite and correction of drainage issues at the road approach. Also site visited a couple specific stands to correlate with air photos. Happy surprise, I have about 10 acres of beautiful red,white and Jack pine 16 to 24 inch diameter.

Attachments

• 20160618_135731.jpg
    20160618_135731.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,167
  • 20160618_135551.jpg
    20160618_135551.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,167
it won't hurt to liberally throw out corn, sugar beets and soybeans throughout the year either! Sounds like you have a good handle on it friend! have a ball this Fall! Preacher

Looks great to me. Typical Northern MN thick woods. Clear some trails, maybe some shooting lanes or openings where you might be able to grow something, and you should be set. If you put in a nice cleared trails, the deer do use them. Really nice that you have the mature pines in there too. Leave it as is, or when the pines start dying off, log it off and use the proceeds to pay the loan down or reinvest in the property. Congratulations!

bbearhntr":1uxq5a19 said:
https://youtu.be/w7AoAd_NYIo
I found this guy on YouTube to have some very valuable information

Sounds like it will be perfectly applicable to my woodlot. Plan on ordering it this fall when I have more time to read up on it. This year will be basic trails, stands, lanes and establishing a small cabin on the edge.

Did find some more GIS resources. I've been able to break down mine and adjacent parcels into cover type, soil type, drainage, known survey points, permitted extraction operations, and date of known timber sales. Also found mapping with air photo showing public and tax forfeit ownership in the area, and there are aprox 800 acres within a 2 mile radius of public hunting land. Really looking forward to spending more time on this land if we'd ever quit getting windstorm outages and I could get a weekend off.

Sounds great! I wish I had a plot of land to call my own. What do you have in mind for a cabin?

Back