Five days, no deer! Why?

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
Many of us, after we have hunted deer for many years, think we know a little about deer and how to hunt them. Sometimes, we are humbled by hunts not going as we had anticipated.
Since Oct. 17, I have hunted three or four days out of each week. My club leases 2000 acres of paper company land in Appling Co., Ga., which is in SE Ga. The hunting is different from hunting in my earlier home state of Maryland, or the hunting in my current home in FL. In Ga. baiting is allowed. We have 29 stands. Some are shooting houses, on the ground, while others are elevated. All 29 stands have feed lots, cultivated in the spring and having lots of the green stuff that deer like, along with radishes and turnips. There are also corn feeder that we can keep full, if we care to do so.

For the past two seasons, I have seldom sat in any stand more than twice, morning and evening, without seeing deer. Many are antlerless and less are young bucks carrying small headgear. Last month I spotted two doe, closely followed by two chasing bucks. The larger buck sported at least an eight point rack. The other buck had a large body but a lesser rack. They were moving through pine cover at about 175 yards. I only had a few openings, where I could get a shot. They had one more opening to cross, before they would be gone. I held on the opening as the two doe crossed, trotting. Then, as a buck appeared, quartering away to the left, I fired and he went down. He turned out to be the smaller buck. I "knew" that I had plenty time to get a larger buck before the season ended in mid Jan.

I mostly hunted the same stand, but on occasion, just for a different view, I hunted other stands and most always saw some deer, morning and evening.
Last Tuesday, Dec. 1, I decided to go ahead and shoot a doe for more freezer meat. I got to camp in time to be on my stand by 2:30 P.M. I sat until after dark and saw no deer. Next morning, same result. The Solunar table showed very good hunting and major moves of deer, close to first light and last light. This is supposed to be optimum time to kill deer, as they are surely moving to feed. No deer.

Being an old hunter, I simply said to myself that I would "get'm" tomorrow. I was not rushed and was enjoying the solitude of the forest and absence of external stimulation. No radio, TV, newspaper or human contact. Great! And I would surely still get a deer before heading home.
The same situation continued for five days. I move four times to stands on which I had regularly seen deer for the three seasons. No deer. I got spooked and got up earlier to sit in the dark for an hour, before shooting light. I hunted mid day, when the Solunar chart said there was a "Major Move". Still no deer.

By Saturday morning, my fifth hunting day, I had had enough. This week the deer win!
I am humbled, but not discouraged. Friday, after a VA doctor's appointment, I will head up to Ga. and deer camp again. This time, I will kill the big buck!
Steven

FWIW, that has been my experience this entire season. Where I have seen twenty or more bucks each day during the past fifteen years, I seldom saw bucks. I cut lots of fresh sign, many of the tracks indicative of large bucks, but the movement was totally nocturnal. What was true of the deer was equally true of moose and elk. This has been a most unusual season for us. The primary change is the presence of more wolves and coyotes than ever before. Strange. That doesn't account for your experience in Georgia, though. When we know the bucks are present, we know they will eventually be taken. Stay with it, Steven; we're all pulling for you.

FWIW - my taxidermist here on Long Island told me that this was the worst year in memory for deer harvest. He contacted several other taxidermists in NY and they all seemed to concur that the deer harvest was way down.

If it is true that the harvest took a significant drop, I have no idea why that would be. We will just have to see what the DEC reports show when the actually tabulations are published.

Well fellows it seems like I'm in the same boat as most of us in that I haven't seen but one deer in an area where I could shoot it and I missed a 150yd open shot that I blame on myself for picking the wrong tree to use as a rest as it had rotted off in the ground and when I leaned against it taking the shot it was unstable and wiggled like a bowl of jelly. I would have been better off taking the shot with out the rest. The 35 Whelen AI spoke and the deer ran, a clean miss since there was no blood trail.

For me it has been the opposite....

I've seen more deer this year, while hunting, than I ever have in my life..... On the slowest day I saw 9 deer.

We have no bucks with huge headgear on our place..... But lots of small ones and more does than you can shake a stick at.

A change I have noticed this year is that we're seeing the deer in the fields a lot more than normal... As opposed to in the woods, eating acorns.

I haven't actually looked, but I'm guessing the acorn crop is not so good this year.

Another thing I've noticed...

If you want to increase the deer population of a given area... . reduce the coyote population.

Works better than food plots....

My hunting buddy spent a week and a half in Maine during regular rifle season and saw nothing. He then spent a week in the woods during muzzleloader and again saw nothing. The take in his area of Maine is way down and their attributing it to a couple of bad winters and coyotes.

Local processing-plants here say the kill is down. First archery/ firearms combined seasons totaled a 1600+ deer take in this county alone. The black-powder/late archery season is yet to end. I went one day during the open rifle season and did not get the shot I wanted ... he's still out there, saw him this morning, right behind the house, DUH!!!!!!!!

Here in Saskatchewan we had 2 horrendous winters in 2012 & 2013 with lots of snow, freezing rain & extreme cold. It really took its toll on the Whitetail population in SE Saskatchewan :evil: & with the high mortelity rate the coyotes ate very well.
This year we saw a fair amount of young deer but also seen a high number of Coyotes as well, in fact the second last day of the season we saw 8 Yotes during the day. My Sons & I are going to try to concentrate on coyotes for first time in many years trying to do our part in predator control!!
Good luck to everyone who still hunting Deer (y). Remember have Fun, Shoot straight & most of all be Safe!!

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":yiaow0ul said:
FWIW, that has been my experience this entire season. Where I have seen twenty or more bucks each day during the past fifteen years, I seldom saw bucks. I cut lots of fresh sign, many of the tracks indicative of large bucks, but the movement was totally nocturnal. What was true of the deer was equally true of moose and elk. This has been a most unusual season for us. The primary change is the presence of more wolves and coyotes than ever before. Strange. That doesn't account for your experience in Georgia, though. When we know the bucks are present, we know they will eventually be taken. Stay with it, Steven; we're all pulling for you.

Same goes for me fellas. I have never had a more "unsuccessful" hunting season than this year. I have shot several grouse and one old beef cow for an old friend (mercy kill) but no deer and no elk.

Alas, there is always next year I guess.

Dale

The neighbor of the Hunt club is a better deer manager I would bet. Deer learn where it is safe and they stay there. Like Ducks if no one is pushing them around they just eat and sleep in the safe area.

baltz wrote: "The neighbor of the Hunt club is a better deer manager I would bet. Deer learn where it is safe and they stay there. Like Ducks if no one is pushing them around they just eat and sleep in the safe area."

In this case, I cannot buy that neighbors are "better deer manager". First off, on two sides of our 2000 acres, there is another club leasing land owned by the same paper company. They have less stringent rules than do we, in terms of what size bucks may be shot! On the other two sides, once one gets off our lease, one is into town. Secondly, this shortage of deer came about within two weeks, right after the rut, so deer management would not have affected how many deer are cited in that short a time.
We have only 8 members hunting. On occasion, they bring an immediate family member to hunt, but the guest kill goes against the member's limit. We allow less that is legal in the county. We can only take two bucks and three doe. Half the hunters will not kill doe, so the place is not "pounded" during the season.
I'm thinking that the lack of seeing deer has more to do with nocturnal feeding. If I continue to hunt, I will kill deer.
Steven

Back