Found a decent load for my 243. Pics

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
Earlier this week I loaded up some 95gr BTips in Rem brass with Ramshot Big Game powder and CCI 200 primers for my Rem 700 ADL. Ramshots website listed 39.9 grains was max i believe so I loaded up 5 rounds each of 36.5, 37.5, 38.5, and 39.5 gr. The 39.5 gr load shot the best by far and Im going to load up some more and try them again after I clean my barrel and when the wind isnt blowing. it was blowing straight across from left to right at 15-20mph. Here is what she did.
243Win95grBTipBigGame.jpg

I know I pulled the one shot that is labeled "pulled" and the farthest right shot in the circle was the first shot from a cold barrel. So its looking promising. I also shot some more test loads of Big Game powder, Rem brass, CCI 200s and 140gr ABs and 120gr BTips in my Rem model 7 7mm-08. This rifle is beyond frustrating and it didnt shoot a group under 4" today with any of the loads and thats how its shot about 6 or 8 other loads. I wanted to just go throw it in the river this morning. I love how handy and light it is and would be perfect for a hiking rifle. It only weighs 7lbs 2oz with sling, scope, and 4 rounds of ammo. Any suggestions? Im going to try Varget powder next so hopefully that produces some results.

Looks like the 243 is shooting pretty well DT.

As for your 7-08, maybe try some RL15. If Varget works in it, usually RL15 works just as good or better for speed and accuracy. Seems like those picky rifles really tap us sometimes when they won't shoot for beans. Good luck buddy. Scotty

I have a 7-08 like that, it's much better now but still frustrates the be-jesus out of me.

First off I chucked the idea of lighter slugs, 150 grain BT's showed alot of promise, groups I could actually measure but still not happy with them.
I then had it pillar bedded and I am now shooting minute of deer with it at 200 yards. It's a M70 featherwieght and like your M7 is nice for still hunting.

DT

You ar e there. Reshoot the 243 to verify, adjust the POI to 1.5" high and go kill deer.

As for your 7mm-08, is the barrel floated? Try shimming with a small piece of old credit card next to the recoil lug to lift the barrel off the pressure point. If it shoots better, you need to get the action bedded. I am guessing that is the problem you are having.

JD338

Well done sir! I'm a huge fan of the .243! What kind of fps are you getting with Big Game?

It's good to see the 243 coming together. Now that I've owned a couple of Model Seven rifles, I'm not much of a fan. I'll probably pass on the next Model Seven that comes me way. The action just isn't stiff enough. I've been able to make some shoot, but it takes far ore work than it should.

jmad_81":1811963t said:
Well done sir! I'm a huge fan of the .243! What kind of fps are you getting with Big Game?

Im not sure. Hopefully Ill take the chrono with me the next time I go to the range. I need to shoot m 300WSM through it anyways so I can send my data to leupold so they can engrave my CDS turret. Ill try to remember to post what kind of speed Im getting.

My friend and I have Tikka T-3's in 7mm-08. I found a load of 43.5 Varget under a 120 BT gives me sub-MOA groups all day long. I don't know the precise velocity. My friend used a similar load to kill 2 or 3 deer last season and all fell within a few steps of where they were shot.

Hope this helps.

Ron

I had the same rifle if it's the stainless with the 20 " barrel. I used the 139 gr. Hornady BTSP and ran 44 grs. of Varget in front of a Win. Lr primer. OAL of 2.78 for 2775 fps and it held at about an inch. That's a stiff load so start a bit lower.
Good Luck
Greg

beretzs":l55v195g said:
Looks like the 243 is shooting pretty well DT.

As for your 7-08, maybe try some RL15. If Varget works in it, usually RL15 works just as good or better for speed and accuracy. Seems like those picky rifles really tap us sometimes when they won't shoot for beans. Good luck buddy. Scotty

Try R15 with the 120's. It is what I use for my son's 7mm08 in a Browning Micro hunter and what I use for a Sako action, #1 contour barreled, Brown Precision stocked rifle in that caliber that was built about 15 years ago. It weighs 6.5 lbs with the scope and will shoot 3 shots in a small cluster with 120's or 140 grain Swift A-frames. Best accuracy and velocity was with R15. Besides Varget, H4895 or N140 would be the other powders I would try if R15 doesn't work.

DeerTracker":3aaa0kle said:
Earlier this week I loaded up some 95gr BTips in Rem brass with Ramshot Big Game powder and CCI 200 primers for my Rem 700 ADL. Ramshots website listed 39.9 grains was max i believe so I loaded up 5 rounds each of 36.5, 37.5, 38.5, and 39.5 gr. The 39.5 gr load shot the best by far and Im going to load up some more and try them again after I clean my barrel and when the wind isnt blowing. it was blowing straight across from left to right at 15-20mph. Here is what she did.

I had sub moa load with 44gr Vihtavuori N160, CCI200 and 95BT's though my rem 700 usually seems to like faster powders like N140 or N150. Two days ago i tried Hornadys 80gr fmj with 38gr of N140, CCI200 col 2,65 and they shot about 0,5" groups from 120 meters.

Kuula":1j3p6f3m said:
DeerTracker":1j3p6f3m said:

I had sub moa load with 44gr Vihtavuori N160, CCI200 and 95BT's though my rem 700 usually seems to like faster powders like N140 or N150. Two days ago i tried Hornadys 80gr fmj with 38gr of N140, CCI200 col 2,65 and they shot about 0,5" groups from 120 meters.

I know one of the other members (Powerstroke) has had great success with N140 in his &mm-08 and 260, so these should be some great powders to work with in the 243 as well. I really like the Vihtavouri powders I have testd; the problem is finding them in stock at most stores.

Looks like you're all set on that .243! The 95 gr NBT is a really stout little "do it all " bullet.

Big Game has obviously done well for you accuracy-wise, but you might want to try Hunter, which has given me fantastic velocities AND accuracy in my 6mm-250, which is just a tad smaller than your .243 Win.

Sorry I have no wisdom to offer on the 7-08, as I've never loaded that cartridge, but as others have said the 120 NBT and 139 Interlock are both fantastic places to start... along w/ the credit card trick JD338 mentioned.

I have a similar issue with my friend's M700 Mountain rifle in .270Win. I'm will be starting to attack it this weekend. I strongly suspect that the thin barrel coupled with forearm contact are the culprits.

I have had good results using Varget behind the 139gr SST and IMR-4064 behind 130gr HotCor(soft load) for 7mm-08. H-4895 worked great behind a 160gr NAB but I think the 7mm-08 is best with 140gr bullets.

Your .243 is looking sweet! It's ready for a verification shoot, maybe doing .5gr increments from 38.5 to 40.0gr?

Well I loaded up some more test loads for the 243 the other day. The powder dispenser already had Varget in it so I figured, what the heck might as well try it too. Hopefully Ill get to shoot those this week. In a perfect world my 243 would shoot varget really well. Then Ill have the 7mm-08 and 243 shooting varget to make things a little more simple. Ill keep ya'll posted!

I shot with a .243 for many years....excellent calibre/cartridge. The load I used was 44.5gn Vit. N160, Rem. 9 1/2 primer & 95gn Nosler BT. With all loads neck sized this gave me 1/8" MOA groups at 100 yards when I was 'Trying'. My COAL was extended to within .010" of the Lands.
In the field, I could always rely on this load to deliver.

Back