Found in the barn

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Cleaning out the barn at my new place and found these.
I'm pretty certain one is a Stevens youth MDL. Too heavily corroded to read any information.
The carbine is 7.35 caliber; 1939 with a proof mark that looks like a crown. None of the previous owners know where they came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":15uriejv said:
Cleaning out the barn at my new place and found these.
I'm pretty certain one is a Stevens youth MDL. Too heavily corroded to read any information.
The carbine is 7.35 caliber; 1939 with a proof mark that looks like a crown. None of the previous owners know where they came from.

IMG_0632.JPG

Dunno about that .22 but the other is a Mannlicher-Carcano, probably from the arsenal at Terni. At least, that's where the one I had came from. Yours looks like it's been bubba'd as some of the wood is missing. The only ammo I ever had for mine was corrosive as hell and also the gun kicked like a very angry mule. I'd bet the bore is it bad shape too. Gun uses an en bloc magazine like the M1 Garand that drops out the bottom after chambering the last round. I think I had mine around 1957, give or take a year. Sold it two weeks after I bought it.
Paul B.

That's what I thought, the bore is packed full of mud, unless I'm missing something I can't see where it would be worth the effort to clean them up. I don't recall ever reading about using the action for anything.

The landfill would be a great location to store it. Maybe cut in two and throw the bolt in another direction. Bet your happy to be back home.

Elkman":3euu92re said:
The landfill would be a great location to store it. Maybe cut in two and throw the bolt in another direction. Bet your happy to be back home.
I am glad to home Bill, been busy. Really looking forward to my elk hunt.

I am glad to home Bill, been busy. Really looking forward to my elk hunt

I will be over a couple of days early and tie in with you in Elgin or Spout Springs

Back