Foundation Issues

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
Well I moved almost a couple years ago and am finding that the house I moved into has foundation issues. We quite simply don't have the money to pay what professionals are asking to fix it, not to mention they couldn't find the actual problem, we had to find and diagnose they issue ourselves, so our only option at this point is to do the repairs ourself. We are a can do family, we have a structural engineer to consult, and we have a ton of you tube vidoes for the specific processes, but this is a huge undertaking, the biggest we've ever dealt with. Most of my family has been sick with chronic fatigue issues for several years and we are dealing with rotted trusses and places of rotting sub floor, but we have to do what we have to do. Needs must.

Anyway, I know many here are praying folks, and me and mine could use any you have right now. Pray that we can assess the situation, develop the proper solution, and pull off the job. We believe this is where God brought us to, so we are gonna stick to it.

This does sound like a daunting project.

Our local church usually has an annual project to help families with housing issues. Perhaps a church in your area may be able to assist.

Also, in this state and county there are programs to help homeowners with heating, insulation, and other necessary home repairs. Perhaps there are assistance programs in your area that could help.

One boss I had gave me a huge project to work on and when I blinked at it, he told me that "the way to eat an elephant was one bite at a time". Through the years that has proven to be good advice.

Best wishes and prayers for the stamina to stay with it and for a successful conclusion.

Prayers that the Lord sends some one your way who can help you find a workable solution to you problems, quickly! CL

Well, we have proven we can do one section. There are about twelve more, some of which are going to be quite difficult to get material to. Everything has to go through a hole in the wall only about 2x3 feet in size, then it has to be moved about 100 feet through a crawl space about 3 feet tall, while getting over a couple sets of cinder block and pipes that are on the ground. This is a very difficult space to move thousands of pounds worth of concrete bags, and 16 foot joists, so to make it feasible we are setting up a trolley thing that will allow us to hang and slide the joists from the ceiling to the area we need them. Then we will be using a wagon, ramps, and a winch to move the concrete bags. Hopefully these strategies work because just moving material is going to take a significant amount of time and effort.

So far everything for the first section was successful, we were able to jack up the floor and close up 1/4 inch gaps that were forming around base boards, cabinets, and molding. So it can be done, that part is good. It has been a pretty brutal project though. The worst day so far was the result of our cement mixer seal breaking, so basically cement was leaking the whole time and it meant we couldn't stop until the first portion had all it's holes filled with cement. My dad was up until 12 at night, and by the end had lifted, mixed, and poured over 2,000 pounds of cement. He said it was the hardest day of his life, and he wasn't dramatizing. I'm glad that he isn't quite as hampered as me and my brothers are by sickness because we need his energy and strength. My two brothers and mother are always contending with what is pretty much lyme disease symptoms, my dad has it as well, but his immune system seems to have recovered better. We have also gotten sick twice with something else since starting, knocking me out for at least three weeks total during the process.

But we got the first section done. I'm trying to take that as a victory. However, there's not time for a break, we have to buckle down and keep plodding along as quick as we can without killing ourselves. Unfortunately my mom has been having gallbladder attacks just to make things more complicated, so now she may be looking at surgery soon. So keep the prayers coming, and know that I appreciate them all.

Back