Friend Needs an Inexpensive Scope for 7mm Rem Mag

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Yup, the same ole question. I am trying to help a friend find a scope that is decent glass, 3-9x40 that can handle the recoil of a 7mm Rem Mag. Trying to stay under $140.00 if possible.

Any experienced thoughts.
Thank you
338 Win Mag

I would give the Redfield a try. It is a little over your price but just a little and it is guaranteed. Scotty

Hey Scotty!
Hope everything is going well for you. I just looked at their scopes. One for about $159.00 I am going to point this one out to him. Great suggestion.

On a side note. I was out at the range today with my new Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 on the 338 WinMag. I have had it out before and thought this scope was great but......... took out a 7mm Rem Mag with my former Nikon Primos 3-9x40. Unless you compare it side by side the Vortex looks great but a $460.00 Vortex now compared to the Nikon $200.00. I personally believe the Viper is over-hyped and now wish I had not purchased it. My Nikon (actually sold it to a friend and performing reload\sighting in his rifle), is far far far superior. I just had to say that with disappointment. Live and learn.

Thanks for the recommendation Scotty
Steve

Steve,

I'm not as familiar with prices in the USA, but I would think that you could find some excellent prices on Pentax and Burris as well. The Redfield would possibly be a good choice, but maybe comparing with a couple of others could give some welcomed options. Just a thought.

Excellent Suggestions. I have just spent the last hour looking at Pentax and Burris. I think the Pentax are out of the equation, at least the ones in his price range. Burris are nice but the ones I might suggest are definitely over his budget. Thanks for the leads though Mike!

The Redfield is looking good. Until Scotty mentioned this one, I didn't know they still existed.

338winmag":29o6nxgj said:
Excellent Suggestions. I have just spent the last hour looking at Pentax and Burris. I think the Pentax are out of the equation, at least the ones in his price range. Burris are nice but the ones I might suggest are definitely over his budget. Thanks for the leads though Mike!

The Redfield is looking good. Until Scotty mentioned this one, I didn't know they still existed.

Stay with a good brand like Leupold that has a good product and excellent customer service. Their turn around time is less than 2 weeks.
Burris customer service sucks!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8593

JD338

Tossup between the Leupold Rifleman for $199 or the Redfield. Either should be a good, reliable scope with decent optics.

Redfield for me. I have a pretty serious dislike for Burris, I have one on my Whelen and I really don't like it. I know, sample of one, but the 4-12 Redfield I have on a .204 seems like a pretty nice scope. And on a 7mm Mag, some lesser scopes may give up the ghost if shot much... my buddies dad killed three cheapo Bushnell scopes on a .300 Mag before he bit the bullet and bought a Leupy 3-9.

Do not discount the Nikon prostaff gentlemen. It can take a pounding.

I have a Pro Staff 4x12 on my 22-250. Seems like a decent enough scope for the money. I do hear good things about them most of the time. Scotty

Hey Scotty!

Can you look at the link above your last comment and tell me if you think that scope could handle a 7mm Rem Mag or do you think I should call Nikon on Monday. Personally I like the Redfield but if this guy can save a few dollars for a year or two. He is purchasing equipment for both him and his son on a military budget so you know that can be a little slim sometimes. :):)

338winmag":t2so2voi said:
Hey Scotty!

Can you look at the link above your last comment and tell me if you think that scope could handle a 7mm Rem Mag or do you think I should call Nikon on Monday. Personally I like the Redfield but if this guy can save a few dollars for a year or two. He is purchasing equipment for both him and his son on a military budget so you know that can be a little slim sometimes. :):)

It sure can! I bought and installed it for a friend in a similar situation as yours. He owns a Stevens 200 economy model in 7mm Rem Mag. It shoots great and has held zero for over 3 years. Last time I shot her she did 1/3" at 100 yards with RL22 and 150 E-tips.

338winmag":2to93kog said:
Hey Scotty!

Totally agree with Fotis. Great scopes for the money Steve. Nothing wrong with them. I totally understand being poor and that is the reason I have a bunch of VX I's I refuse to replace. They hold a zero and are clear. I also have two Nikon's on a 7RM and my 22-250. Both are just fine till I can afford better. Scotty

I have used the centerpoint 4-16x40 and I am very pleased with them. They are $65.00 at walmart so I thought I would give it a try on a 22 rimfire. I must admit that glass is clear. So I put one on my 270 win to see if it would hold up to the recoil. It did. So I put it on a 300 win mag and shot around 150 rounds through it after getting it sighted in and it never budged from zero. So I thought lets see how it does at longer distance with the dials. I was really suprised when they did just what they should. I dialed for 1000 yards and hit within 10 inches of where I was aiming. So I went back to 200 yards and returned the scope to zero and hit the center of the target at 200. In my opinion they are very good scopes for the money. They will hold up to the recoil of the 7mm rem mag. Even though they are extremely cheap they do good. But after purchasing my Leupold mark 4 I wont go back to anything else.

Back