Full length sizing die

Status
Not open for further replies.
beretzs":f02ppw4w said:
Boolit, if you are happy with your rifle and loads, that is the most important. If you are getting accuracy like that, no reason to stir the beast. Scotty

BINGO!!

I'm not saying it's not important to measure headspace, but a chamber cast would be in order before case headspace.

I guess bolt pressure wouldn't really be the exact way to go. Varminting in this situation of a stiff bolt would be ok, but not big game. You agree?

I don't have a stiff bolt at all. I just size slightly under true chamber dimensions. Only takes about 2-4 thousands. I don't want big game hunting ammo to be crush fit. Just my preference, but I like a little extra room. Scotty

beretzs":3l6440zp said:
I don't have a stiff bolt at all. I just size slightly under true chamber dimensions. Only takes about 2-4 thousands. I don't want big game hunting ammo to be crush fit. Just my preference, but I like a little extra room. Scotty

I hear ya Scotty.... The guy said from Lee they measured .002 from unsized to sized.. The cases they sent back to me from using my die went in a little easier but not to me liking. Wonder if they trim the base of the die .001 it will be better. Or for that matter .002.

boolit, you don't need to take a chamber cast. You just need to know where your cases are in relation to your chamber. You can measure the case headspace without any special tools. If I remember a 40S&W case will fit over the neck and on to the shoulder of your case. You don't have to be at the exact center of the shoulder. You could also use a standard socket from a socket wrench set. You should have a good dial or digital caliper so measure to the datum line of an unfired case, a fired case and one of your sized cases. Those measurements should provide the necessary numbers. We are not talking competition rifles. You are having a sizing issue and it is not unique to your rifle. Oversizing can cause the same problem as undersizing.Rick.

My ONLY concern is easy chambering.... Not the life of casings. And accuracy is going to kill a deer any better. What's acceptable to me is what I have.

SO... why should I go through the effort of doing it your way and buying a indicator to adust headspace, when a die is enough?

You don't have to buy an indicator as I indicated in a previous post. You got your dies and brass back and still aren't satisfied with case fit. Considering removing some off the bottom of the die according to one of your posts. Maybe I am misunderstanding but this whole discussion has been about tight cases not accuracy or deer killing ability. I have been trying to point you in a direction to find/correct the tight case problem. If you are satisfied with what you currently have, then we need not discuss this farther.Rick.

boolit":190t96p4 said:
SO... why should I go through the effort of doing it your way and buying a indicator to adust headspace, when a die is enough?

You don`t "need" to buy a indicator to adjust headspace, just to measure the amount you have. A deep well socket from your tool kit with your caliper works to do this to, it just isn`t as ergonomic. I`d slip around a 10mm socket over the case neck of a unsized fire formed case, resting the socket on the shoulder as close to the center line as possible and measure the OAL of the case and socket as one unit. As you size your brass repeat the measuring and adjust the die until you get the shoulder in the position you want when compared to the unfired case measurement.
Don`t over size your brass. If you push the shoulders back too far you risk head separation due to the manufactured excessive headspace, not a good event. Just shoot for 0.002"-0.003" shoulder set back max. There probably will be 0.001"+/- variation here due to non uniform spring back from work hardening or variation in brass thickness. If you still have tight chambering with this much shoulder clearance the problem lies elsewhere. The bullet may be contacting the leade, case length, thick necks, etc.
The die is already sizing the body down as far as it is going to, or should be if the shoulder is moving back. Removing metal from the base of the die or the shellholder is only going to allow you to over do the shoulder and won`t affect the body anymore then it already is.
Also keep in mind the shoulder measurement you get when you measure a 1X fired case using this method is only telling you amount of growth the case ended with. The case is still under chamber size when it comes out of the chamber and there is likely another 0.002"+ clearance you don`t see without a chamber casting. If you build in a couple thousandths clearance plus the normal amount not counted due to brass spring back you have plenty to allow the cartridge to enter the chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back