Fur Friendly .223 Rem load

You might try a 35 or 40 grain lead free ballistic tip with 10-13 grains of Blue Dot. Should be about like a 22 Hornet...

Speed is not your friend with fox. They are smaller than you think and gave thin skin. You put too much energy into one and they pop like a balloon. A reduced load with a 45-50gr bullet would be best, something under 2600 fps. I did most of my fur hunt in t with a 222 running reduced loads or 14” contender in 223 using blue dot and 50gr SP @ 2550.

Nothing did better than a 17 HMR for saving fox, 22 mag with solids wasn’t bad either.

A shotgun with lead 2s, or BBs. Works very well if you don’t let them get close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Fox does have a much thinner hide than yotes. I have to agree than the tissue disruption from a 3350 fps bullet will make them pop. I’ve had good results from a 22 Hornet with 40gr bullets on lighter varmints. You’ll get 2700+ from the Hornet with a nice trajectory to sane ranges.

I did some research on this topic a year or two ago, because we had some bobcats in the area. I ended up going with a 50gr TNT Hornet Bullet (not the 55 which has a heavier jacket) and a reduced load of H4895. I have not connected on a cat yet, but it is a very quiet load, so I am guessing the velocity is substantially slower than a standard 223.

Back