Gander Mountain & Primers

280SOLIDBASE

Beginner
Dec 25, 2007
Gentlemen,

I was in my local GM the other day to purchase some CCI 350 Large Pistol Magnum primers. The sales clerk says "I hope you don't want any rifle primers" I replied "no" and proceded to ask "Why? What's the problem with rifle primers?" He replied back "We haven't been able to get any rifle primers for about 5 months" He didn't know why and said that the 3rd in command at GM has been trying to get them without any success.

Have any of you had the same problems with regards to rifle primers at GM or any other retailer?

There has been a shortage of Federal GM205 and GM210 primers due to the fact that Federal is under contract with the US military. Federal is supplying Uncle Sam with primers and a lot of ammo is being used in the current conflicts.

JD338

I quit trying to buy anything related to reloading a Gander Mtn years ago. They have the lousiest reloading selection of any "gun shop" I`ve been in, Pro Bass included. They usually have a fair selection of powder, but primers and bullets are always short on the ones I need. I have one about 3 mi from the house and haven`t seen a 6.5mm bullet or a 130 gr 270 cal bullet of any brand in there in ages. I`ve never found the primer I am hunting in there either. They claim they`ll "order them" for you if you ask, but I can order myself and likely get a better price elsewhere, plus delivery to my door.

Now if you want fishing rods or clothing...............................

Maybe I just go on the wrong days :x

In the last year I have been to 3 different Cabelas a Gander a Jays (in Michigan) a Sportsmans Warehouse and a ProBass. None of them had much of anything in large rifle primers. No Federals at all and only a couple bricks of CCI, or Win. By far, Sportsmans Warehouse had the best reloading dept. and yes it was better than any of the 3 Cabelas which was a big surprise to me. Now I don't know anything about the different size stores for Cabelas and maybe none of these were "destination stores" which I guess are the really big ones. But I was not impressed . . . maybe I am spoiled by all the stuff they have on their website and none of their stores even came close, which i guess I can understand as that would be an amazing inventory to have under one roof.

But Gander's reloading/shooting sections are a real disappointment.

Long

I agree with the whole Gander Mt. thing in general...we used to have 2-3 other small family run guns shops in the area, one of which was outstanding. I could walk in there and 9 times out of 10 walk out with what I went for. I never needed anything that was out of the ordinary either. Well since GM moved in, all the small shops were forced out and now the only place left is GM and I absolutely HATE it when I have to go there.

I went one time to get a couple boxes of 7mm 140 gr. Nos. BT...they didn't have them. I made it a point everytime I had to go back for something else just to see if they had them, they never did until just this past week (a time period of 3 years) now they may have had some in between, but I don't know.

I went there this past spring to look into a GPS; after researching on the net and deciding what I wanted I went to GM to actually see one and had a few questions...NOBODY there knew much about them! I knew more about them just from the internet than anyone that was selling them. Not to toot my own horn; but I think I've forgotten more about guns, reloading, and the like than anyone there ever knew.

Throough my travels in the state, I have been in almost every sporting good store. Most of them are a once in a lifetime visit.
I have been able to find a couple of shops that offer exactly what I need. One is local and the other is 75 miles away. I plan my visits with my travels so it works out.
I also buy my Nosler bullets from SPS, one order a year take care of most of my requirements. If I run out, I'll spot buy what I need.

JD338

The problem was with Fed pimers because of the war. All my local stores have caght up.

Fed is all I use now :wink:

I had found about four months ago 5 boxes of Fed 215's in a hole in the wall shop. Couldn't find them anywhere else.
Now with POP, I've seen Sportsmans is getting caught back up now.

If you have gun shows in your area, give them a try. Primers were in low supply here in the Bay Area so I went to a gun show and picked up 2000 large rifle and 1000 small rifle at a good price . good luck.

When the primer shortage hit back in the 90's I changed to CCI primers because they were all ways in stock at the stores around here.I get just as good of peformance as the Federals and can get them anytime.Just wish they made a BR large rifle mag..... :roll:

Our local GM doesn't have much in the way of handloading, either. They actually have a pretty good selection of bullets and powders, but zero primers, only RCBS dies, and no good manuals or other support stuff. I haven't bought anything there, though, because the prices are insane. I just can't see paying $40 for a box of .277 130gr Accubonds, when I can order them, with shipping, from any number of places for $15 less than that! Powder is running between $25-30 per pound, as well. I can order just four pounds (and spend about $100, including hazmat) from several online shops, also.

There's a Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga, TN (which just got added back to my territory) and they have a good loading section, and pretty decent prices. I will be stocking up when I'm up there in the next few weeks. I'm considering an order from SPS as well, to stock up on what I want from Nosler. Only problem is, they never seem to have seconds in some of the stuff I'd like to try! Why can't their QC break down for just a few days?

I was nervous about not being able to get the Fed 210M primers becasue a lot of guys have said they can't find them anywhere, and they are the primer I use in most of my rifle loads. I was at the local shop this Saturday, and saw a box of them, with some of the 100 ct packages missing, so I said "how many of those do you have left/" (thinking I would buy the rest of them. The owner promptly replied "about 5 or 6 thousand. Would you like them all?" I just kinda laughed in amusement. :lol:

I can't comment on the Fed primers, but the GM where i live (charleston, wv) doesn't have LR or LRM primers of any flavor...and never have since they opened (about 14 months ago). The GM here in general has everything, but in specifics has absolutely nothing....just my two cents!

dubyam":1wof8ggg said:
Our local GM doesn't have much in the way of handloading, either. They actually have a pretty good selection of bullets and powders, but zero primers, only RCBS dies, and no good manuals or other support stuff. I haven't bought anything there, though, because the prices are insane. I just can't see paying $40 for a box of .277 130gr Accubonds, when I can order them, with shipping, from any number of places for $15 less than that! Powder is running between $25-30 per pound, as well. I can order just four pounds (and spend about $100, including hazmat) from several online shops, also.

There's a Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga, TN (which just got added back to my territory) and they have a good loading section, and pretty decent prices. I will be stocking up when I'm up there in the next few weeks. I'm considering an order from SPS as well, to stock up on what I want from Nosler. Only problem is, they never seem to have seconds in some of the stuff I'd like to try! Why can't their QC break down for just a few days?

Agree on the GM. Would be nice to have a Sportsman Warehouse a bit closer than Choo Choo City .
As for the SPS I have to say Ditto and add they hardly ever have what I want or need on sale dang it.

BTW have no ideal what the primer stock is at the local GM as I haven't ask. According to ther sign they will only sell them by the 1000's .

Just pick up 1000ct box of fed210m from my local gun shop. They also had super X high brass 1oz28ga shot shells for $14.99 not the 24.99 G Mtn is asking and AA20ga for 7.00 not the 15.00 GM wants per box! I can't shopp at G Mtn for any ammo just plain rip off!

When the 270WSM first came out, the guy working the gun counter at GM told me that there was no such thing and refused to look it up. I had just looked at one the day before at a local shop, but they would not believe me.

This summer I was at a Bass Pro Shop and was looking for some R22. I ended up having to go with the sales person in their back room to look for it because he did not know what it looked like. They had a small locked room in the back with powder in it. I wish I had a picture because it was mess. There was containers of every type of power just thrown in the room. No shelves just a mixed pile of power types and container sizes. I move some powder containers so that I could get the door open all the way and then never found any R22. The store only had CCI primers. I was back a couple other times and they did get a box of Win 209 primers.

At times, I think that big chain stores are only good for crowds and long lines.

I work part time at a Gander Mountain. Yes, primers are and have been in very short supply! When we request from corporate, all we get is the same answer. GM can order most anything except primers and powder. Why, I dont know! If the supplier has the item, GM stores can order and get it. Problem sometimes is that when it comes in, if no one catches it, it goes on the shelf. Corporate could do better, I think.

Back