Getting Ready

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
I’ve been slowly getting parts ready for my 340 WBY. I dropped the barrel and receiver off late last fall. I’m hoping to have it back by this fall. Nice part he is only 25 miles away. I’m putting on a Krieger HV finished at 28”. This should give my 338 Lapua a run for it’s money. I have some Bertram brass on order which should be here this month. I do have a Crimson Trace Hardline scope laying around that might get swapped onto another rifle.
7EDADD79-AAD1-454A-B02E-673317EF9C40.jpeg

That should be a cartridge to give your 338 Lapua a run. I have no doubt it will be an excellent build when you are finished. I know that many here will be watching for your work with the rifle.

That 340 is a hammer buddy. It’s one of the coolest cartridges I’ve never had. I cheesed out with a lil 338 Win.

That's going to be an awesome rifle. The Krieger barrel won't disappoint with both velocity and accuracy.
What bullet are you going to run with?

JD338

That's going to be an awesome rifle. The Krieger barrel won't disappoint with both velocity and accuracy.
What bullet are you going to run with?

JD338
Krieger is a home state favorite. Wisconsin has some the best barrel makers in my opinion.
As for bullets , I’m sitting on a pile of Nosler 300gr. CCs and Sierra 250gr. GKs.
The 340 will have stiff competition with my 338 Lapua. Last year I picked a box of 300gr. RDFs to compare to the 300gr CCs. These were loaded to the same charge , base to ogive.
68A71A55-2EFF-4CDE-A569-112637965852.jpeg
256D7CE3-1EC0-4C40-8CDC-E42B9C119E6C.jpeg

Still waiting for the call on barrel action to be done. I got some more pieces to the puzzle.
First the scope , I got a great deal on an Athlon Midas TAC
436318D0-816D-4C30-AF75-8C2A5539A999.jpeg
Up next my brass finally came (ordered last fall) from Bertram. The stuff looks good , BUT the weights are concerning. They sent 101pcs with 2 being 7+grs apart and the other 99 4.5grs apart. I separated them in 1/2 , 1 box lights and one box heavies. I’ll be more interested in internal capacity after firing.
6E86A8F8-8D76-4241-BB84-705DD2356121.jpeg
Last on todays list , a mix bag of bullets I bought for fire-forming brass.
09B0F716-7E0F-438D-BF0C-DA657872EAC7.jpeg
The one on the right had me puzzled for a bit. 3 are old Barnes bullets , 1 is a Hornady , and 5th one , the one on the right is a (anyone want to guess) 230gr. Hint they don’t make them anymore.

I took a lot of game (from whitetail and mule deer to moose and elk) with the Fail Safe. They never let me down.

The Fail Safe is a good bullet. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

JD338

Lazzeroni used to have very inconsistent brass.
It didn't show up at groups at distance though-Thanks goodness.
I did slightly outside neck turn (Cleaned it up till I got 2/3's of the neck clean), OAL trim, primer pocket uniform, and flash hole uniform.
This rifle of yours should be a Hammer!

most of the guys I shoot with use Athlon scopes , they seem to hold up well . after seeing them being used , I would buy one if it's what I needed .

brass weight means nothing , it's the fired case water capacity that's important . I'd have to do some digging to see if I have my notes on Lapua brand , 338 Lapua brass . I picked out the lightest case , the heaviest case, and maybe 8 or 10 in between . when I capacity tested them it was nothing to worry about . if I sorted by weight I'd have thrown a few of these in the reject bucket . I no longer mess like that with Lapua brass .

most of the guys I shoot with use Athlon scopes , they seem to hold up well . after seeing them being used , I would buy one if it's what I needed .
I do have several Athlons , and I like them for the value to get. They do track very well and return to zero. Now I did have to send one back , it lost zero and wouldn’t respond to adjustments. It was a Midas BTR and Athlon sent me Midas BTR Gen2 in return. Good people.

Back