Getting soft

What a great feeling for a grandad! You just have to love seeing a child, and especially a grandchild, excited to be hunting. There is such a narrow window for generating that interest in a young 'un.

If he didt get a crack at a hog, I hope he woke up to a favorite "hunting breakfast" with Grandpa! As noted, time and opportunity are finite and precious. Bet you made some good memories, whatever the outcome. That's what matters! My Grandpa was fond of saying, "Well- we had us an outing anyway!"~ CL

If he didt get a crack at a hog, I hope he woke up to a favorite "hunting breakfast" with Grandpa! As noted, time and opportunity are finite and precious. Bet you made some good memories, whatever the outcome. That's what matters! My Grandpa was fond of saying, "Well- we had us an outing anyway!"~ CL
"Well- we had us an outing anyway!"~ CL I grew up hearing "It was a good day to take my rifle for a walk"

I remember my youngest son falling sound asleep before sunrise while mule deer hunting with me. He was curled up on the ground next to me. I took off my jacket and covered him with it.

Later when he woke, he got a chance at a 3x3, but didn't shoot - and that was okay.

BTW - a proper family/friends hunting breakfast is a wonderful tradition!

Guy

I remember my youngest son falling sound asleep before sunrise while mule deer hunting with me. He was curled up on the ground next to me. I took off my jacket and covered him with it.

Later when he woke, he got a chance at a 3x3, but didn't shoot - and that was okay.

BTW - a proper family/friends hunting breakfast is a wonderful tradition!

Guy
Funny- sometimes that "breakfast" can be lamb chops, eggs and toast with a rancher who wants you to visit before you hunt (at the time it drove me crazy- I wanted to hunt!- now its a favorite memory) or the old frosted Hostes apple pie in the "goose pits" with Dad and Grandpa- so cold you cant hardly hold it. I'd give $200 to do either one of 'em tomorrow morning. D@mn I cant see the keyboard all the sudden.... CL

Funny- sometimes that "breakfast" can be lamb chops, eggs and toast with a rancher who wants you to visit before you hunt (at the time it drove me crazy- I wanted to hunt!- now its a favorite memory) or the old frosted Hostes apple pie in the "goose pits" with Dad and Grandpa- so cold you cant hardly hold it. I'd give $200 to do either one of 'em tomorrow morning. D@mn I cant see the keyboard all the sudden.... CL
Great memories, Troy. They are priceless.

Knew I had it some where...... a pic of Dad and I in "the pits" along the Missouri river. Hostes apple pie alfresco.... many, many years ago. I was probably 16, getting river silt all over my birthday present- a brand new Winchester. Reloading note: That year was probably one of the first when steel shot was required for waterfowl. Some nights before, I remember sitting down the basement w/ Dad prying open a box of 20 Ga. Shells and refilling them with steel shot, because Steel shot didn't come in 20ga. 2 3/4 :eek:. Imagine "re-crimping" them with the old Herters single stage press and 12ga. dies. Those were the days! I am pretty sure I couldn't move if I ever got that cold again. Yep getting soft...CL

Attachments

• Goose pits -.jpg
    Goose pits -.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 5
Back