Getting The 358Win Ruger Hawkeye - It's done.

Bullet,

Congratulations on the Hawkeye. I love mine, for certain. It shoots far better than it should and appears not at all fussy about what powder it is fed. Respecting glass on your rifle, I topped mine with a Vari-X III 2 x 8, and have found it to be sufficient even to 400 yards, even with my ageing eyes. It is true that I trained myself to keep both eyes open, which provides a great advantage in tracking game as I shoot. I do, however, have a good set of binoculars for judging antlers and game before ever lifting the rifle to shoot. This is absolutely necessary here in Peace Region of BC where the regulations are some what strict concerning legal game (10 points or tri-palm or fork-horn on moose, 4 points on whitetail (including brow tines), and 3 points on mule deer). If the animal is close enough that I can see without glass, I can judge on the ready. At 200 yards plus, or in thick bush, the binoculars allow me clarity and there is ample time to study the game before ever lifting the rifle. I have a 1.8 x 4.5 on my 358 BLR, and it is more than adequate to 250 yards. Again, I believe you are going to love the Hawkeye. You are right about it being a great cartridge for almost any hunting we will do in North America.

Yes, I know your points are certainly valid for you and others, I was really stating my preferences and how I see the experience. I know you are right about the Ruger Hawkeye and that my experience should be a fair to good event.

I robbed my whelen for its VXIII 1.5-5 for the 700 in 358win and its tops for up close and just fine to say 250-300 yards. Since I am a scope short I am picking up a VXIII 1.75-6 for the 358win since it fills the gap between the VXII 2-7 which I have on a 270win and the VXII 1-4 on my 35rem. The whelen is a 7600 pump and the 20mm tube just looks great on it.

I would rather make a 200 yards shot with a 2x than a 15 yard shot with a 3-9 set to 3x. Most get too much scope at the lower end and have too little field of view. 9x is great when sighting in but not as important when actualy hunting.

tjen":2a1ydxjr said:
I robbed my whelen for its VXIII 1.5-5 for the 700 in 358win and its tops for up close and just fine to say 250-300 yards. Since I am a scope short I am picking up a VXIII 1.75-6 for the 358win since it fills the gap between the VXII 2-7 which I have on a 270win and the VXII 1-4 on my 35rem. The whelen is a 7600 pump and the 20mm tube just looks great on it.

I would rather make a 200 yards shot with a 2x than a 15 yard shot with a 3-9 set to 3x. Most get too much scope at the lower end and have too little field of view. 9x is great when sighting in but not as important when actualy hunting.

I new that would stir folks up what I wrote about a 3-9. Hunted a lot of years with a fixed 6 and made a very close 15-25 yard shot (can't remember just how close it was, but it was close) in thick stuff with the 6 power Leupold. I guess after hunting with it I got use to it. If for some reason this 3-9 scope is not effective for me I will make a change.

Is there a place in the 358Win even though I can't find load data for Accurate 2495 and WW760???? I know that Accurate 2495 has been used in 308 for 150, 165, 180 and 190gr bullets. What is you all take on these two powders. 2495 for the 225gr and 760 for the 250gr????? Also, what about H380?

Really trying to assemble powder for working with the 358Win.

List so far is as follows their order is random:

WW748
IMR3031
Varget
IMR4895
IMR4320

I say to each there own, and if you want a 3-9 on your .358 Win go for it. I feel however that a good pair of bino's 8-10 power are much more effective for judging game than any scope on 9 power. Of course I don't have near the antler restrictions as some parts of the world, but I do have my own personal restrictions when I hunt.

My .358 Win Savage 99 curently wears a fixed K4 Weaver but will soon wear a Weaver 2-7 Microtrac. My .30-06 wears a B&L Elite 2-7, .300 H&H 2-7 Nikon Monarch, and 6.5X55 2-7 Burris FFII. I guess I find the 2-7 power scope covers the ranges I'm comfortable shooting at pretty well.

I am picking up a VXIII 1.75-6 for the 358win
tjen, you will love that scope I have it on my .35 Whelen and .375 Ruger.

Congratulations on the new rifle bullet. I'm sure she will be a shooter. I've never owned one, but have always been a fan of the 358 win. I actually thought that it came out before 1955. This caliber is a great 200-300 yard rifle. It will also give full penetration on deer sized game and good blood trails. My choice of bullet would be the 225 nab. I really thought that nosler made a bt in 35 cal. Boy, that would be the ticket in a 225 grainer. The nab will perform just as well. Let us know how she shoots. I really like the Hawkeye line. :grin:

GB300wm":1zrgmht3 said:
Congratulations on the new rifle bullet. I'm sure she will be a shooter. I've never owned one, but have always been a fan of the 358 win. I actually thought that it came out before 1955. This caliber is a great 200-300 yard rifle. It will also give full penetration on deer sized game and good blood trails. My choice of bullet would be the 225 nab. I really thought that nosler made a bt in 35 cal. Boy, that would be the ticket in a 225 grainer. The nab will perform just as well. Let us know how she shoots. I really like the Hawkeye line. :grin:

The AccuBond might be to long for the case and Ruger does not make a real long mag box. But thanks for the encouragement.

POP, thanks for Quickload explained, I had it right but it was sure nice to confirm it.

If you are happy with a 3-9x, that's all that counts.

I have a 2-7 Burris Fullfield (original, not -2) on my .35 Whelen that I don't really like. At some point it will be replaced with a Leupy VX II 2-7 LR Duplex. But all I hunt with my Whelen is elk, and I am generally in a spike only unit, so the extra X's are not really that important to me.

BK":2a5i0l9c said:
If you are happy with a 3-9x, that's all that counts.

I have a 2-7 Burris Fullfield (original, not -2) on my .35 Whelen that I don't really like. At some point it will be replaced with a Leupy VX II 2-7 LR Duplex. But all I hunt with my Whelen is elk, and I am generally in a spike only unit, so the extra X's are not really that important to me.

You know I might get out there on some hogs this early spring and decide I do not like it but I would like to try it on the 358Win, I liked it on a Ruger 300win I had before I got to buying more expensive glass.

It's funny, there are a LOT of guys that really like Burris glass, but in my huge sample of one riflescope, I don't. My old neighbor had one of the enormous Black Diamind scopes on a #1 .22-250, and it was fine, but I never liked mine. Plus Leupy HQ is just up the road from me so I remain a Leupold man.

BK":3nywviyz said:
It's funny, there are a LOT of guys that really like Burris glass, but in my huge sample of one riflescope, I don't. My old neighbor had one of the enormous Black Diamind scopes on a #1 .22-250, and it was fine, but I never liked mine. Plus Leupy HQ is just up the road from me so I remain a Leupold man.

Hey, I own Leupold, Zeiss, Weaver, Burris, Nikon

BK":2gac6fua said:

Smart choice.
After my ordeal with Burris customer service, I will never ever own a Burris anything! Leupold is the way to go!

JD338

Yeah, I've got Leupy, Burris, B&L/Bushnell, Weaver, and a couple of Aimpoints. What I want to do is standardize on Leupolds, with a couple of Euroscopes if I can afford them. But then again, I'm a little OCD.

All my 358's were topped with Leupolds. Either 2x7's or 2.5x8's. Same for my 350 rem mags and 35 whelen's Yup I was a 35 whore! :twisted: :twisted:

Nothing wrong with that! It's only lack of money and safe space that's kept me from going down that road!

Hey guys, now that Burris is trashed :lol: and I now have a complex about the scope I bought :oops: help me out here if you can.

The book called Modern Reloading is suppose to have loading data for the 358Win using Accurate 2495. Starting load and max load for both the 225gr and 250gr is 41.4 to 46grs Compressed. The 46grs is supposed to give me 2400fps with the 225gr bullet but I think that is with a 20" barrel.

Anybody have this book and can confirm this for me??? :grin:

Found a book and it is 43.9grs starting load 46grs max load at 2405fps and also 46grs max for 250gr at 2303fps.

Back