Giraud Brass Trimmer - New Offering

greenheadcaller

Beginner
Jul 8, 2014
I have used and enjoyed Little Crow Works "Worlds Finest Trimmer" or WFT. It trims great, fast, and affordable. Similar concept to Possum Hollow trimmers. Really really liked the WFT over the years. Only problem I saw is, still need to (at least I recommend you do) chamfer/debur. When faced with a pile of brass, this takes time, even with my powered spinning chamfer/debur outfit.

Have had the opportunity to use a powered Gracey unit with a replacement carbide Giraud blade in it. Very very nice set up with that blade and trims/chamfer/deburs at same time, and it's a lot easier to adjust than the stock Gracey head in my opinion (which means nothing). Expensive though (and shell holder is not a bearing like the WFT).

Have seen the Giraud complete powered unit. Looks great, is great, like most of the stuff Doug sells. It ought to be - at over $450 for unit + + + extra heads, etc.

But recently Giraud came out with new offering. http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

Saw it on another site and wanted to share here...if there are folks like me who like the WFT or Possum Hollow but wish we had the benefit of carbide Giraud tri blade so we could trim/chamfer/debur at same time....without paying top dollar .... this could be it. Basically offered at $90 plus shipping....caliber/brass specific as most (not all) shoulder indexed units are

Will let you know if I don't like it.

That looks slicker than goose grease on glass !
Let me know how it works, been looking for a faster way to process .223 brass.
Thanks,
Howard

I will be watching this. I just checked the site out, and looks like I would need the .223, and 300wm trimmer. They list the 300wm trimmer as doing 7mm also .

I just bought the WFT2. I really like it, and with the Trim Mate chamfer and debur are quick operations. The WFT also has a lot more options for the various cases.

The Tri-Way arrived yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to use it, and will circle back around when I do... but it may be a few weeks as am preparing to pursue things that fly beginning Sept 1 amongst other things.

First reaction upon opening the box...no surprises.

Having used a WFT extensively, and having some experience with the Giraud blade, and after viewing the Giraud web site, the appearance of the Tri-Way is exactly what I expected and as advertised. It came with reusable two piece plastic canister to hold the unit, the unit itself, and a piece of trimmed brass taped to the canister (in a small zip bag) to demonstrate where the machine is set and the recommended chamfer/debur alignment of the blade (I assume). While I haven't measured the oal of the brass that came with the machine yet (really doesn't matter -I'll set it where I want it anyway), I did inspect the case mouth......and it looks perfect and exactly what I would expect having run a blade like this one before. I inserted the brass into the unit and spun it by hand to confirm the brass that was in the bag matched up with the blade...it did. (Thinking about that now...probably wasn't the smartest thing to do - because if the blade hadn't matched up I would have altered the demonstration piece....not the end of the world...just saying if a guy wants to maintain the integrity of the piece of brass Giraud sends ya for what-ever reason....it's best to fiddle on a different piece...lol)

I would need to measure to confirm, but visually the bell of the unit appears to be a slightly larger circumference and a touch deeper than my WFT....and the "shaft" that you will attach a drill or chuck to appears to be a little shorter extension from the unit....but again, I would need to measure to be sure. I see no issues.

The plastic brass deflector/sleeve is a nice touch, if it holds up. It is held on by friction-slides against two rubber O rings. I think I will have to be a little thoughtful about what cleaner I spray on the unit to clean it - as some cleaner will degrade rubber (O rings) and/or plastic....so some common sense will be needed if I have any around. I have at times put electric tape over the holes in my WFT to sling less brass, so the plastic cover will be nice if it holds up, and the perceived larger bell will hold more brass shavings imo. Again...none of this really matters much, they are both easy enough to clean quickly.

The case holder is bearing held as I expected, very similar concept as the WFT. For folks who have never used a unit like this.....the reason I like the bearing held case holder is that the makers of both the WFT and the Giraud recommend turning the case 1/2 turn while maintaining contact with the shell holder/blade after the unit completes the initial cut. Having the case in the bearing lets you twist it 1/4-1/2 turn easier than twisting it while holding it against a fixed case holder (like in a gracey). It's no big deal...but it's a nice feature and a finger saver if you run a lot of brass and/or if your paws don't always run as pain free as they used to.

I did notice the bearing is held in by a visual snap ring of sorts. Kind of makes me wonder if interchangeable bearings/shell holders might be considered in the future.....but I won't digress for now.

Again...the proof is in the pudding...and I haven't tried it yet...but wanted to at least report back that it arrived as promised, and initial reaction is very positive. It's going to take a lot to displace my WFT....but I fully expect this will as it cuts/deburs/chamfers in one step. I will circle back after I run a few, but might be a couple of weeks.

To those who point out that all calibers aren't represented by the trimmer, and that you may need to buy more than one to cover the calibers you are interested in (if they are offered at all).... I agree for sure - those are things to consider and may disappoint if not offered.

Obviously I have a biased view because I already shelled out the money and want it to work.....and I am confident it will - creating more of a bias ....... but the proof will be in the pudding and will be back after I make some.

Not my video, but for those who have never used a shoulder indexing trimmer...here is an example of a tri-way attached to a drill in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUmzQZmU5oc

The user here also demonstrates the 1/4-1/2 turn at the end of the cut I was trying to describe above.

This reminds me...... For those who have never used a shoulder indexing trimmer. IF you don't produce sized cases that have consistent headspace measurements at the shoulder or ogive ..... you will be disappointed with trimmers that index from the shoulder. Meaning... the OAL of the trimmed brass will vary by the same amount your sized brass headspace varies.

Some people don't like that, I do (Big whoop). Some people prefer trimmers that index from the case base....and that will cut them all the same regardless of headspace variances ... masking headspace variances -not correcting them, in my opinion -which means nothing. It's my opinion (which again means nothing) that that issue is a sizing issue and not a trimmer issue. And I will respectfully suggest that folks may have a more rewarding reloading experience if they make sure their sizing technique produces brass with consistent headspace measurements. This has to do with consistency while sizing (brass/muscle/lube/speed/etc and equipment)....things the experts in this forum can help with better than I. But rather than argue or get into some deep discussion about that.....because I am not qualified....to each his own on that front, ymmv.....I simply wanted to make sure new potential users recognize these cutters (Giraud/WFT/Gracey) all index from the shoulder....and that cut length is changed/set by adjusting the distance from the shoulder to the blade on these cutters.

Giraud Tri Way Test

I ended up being able to get to this over the weekend.

I adjusted the Tri-Way to my desired cut and length...and proceeded to run 500 pieces of brass.

The Tri-Way is the real deal! (Slicker than goose grease on glass Howard)

Only tips I think I learned are ... you need two different sized small hex wrenches (not included) to adjust - one for the lock washer to adjust length, and another one for adjusting the blade if you want to change it from where Giraud set it (or after a while when you rotate carbide blade). So have your small hex wrenches handy if you order one. Blade adjustment takes a little patience, but no big deal. Length adjustment a piece of cake.

The brass I had to trim for the test run was very long once fired so it was a good test as I was removing a lot of material compared to normal.....and I found myself running the blade faster than I run my WTF. (faster the better - within reason - starting at 1500 rpm recommended by Giraud ......my variable speed drill runs 2000 full trigger, and that is about where I was running it....to each his own)

Very accurate cuts/oal's, very happy.

Buy the Giraud Tri-Way with confidence IMO ... my WFT has been replaced in this caliber

I now have processed over 1000 brass, in .223, to test drive the Giraud Tri-Way, and I love it. It's a keeper for me.

Have since become aware of another trimmer called the Trim It. It looks like it originally came out as just a cutter (like the WFT), but with a potentially better length adjustment feature. I say potentially because while a fine threaded micrometer type of adjustment sounds like it would be more accurately adjustable...I can't vouch for the Trim It because I haven't used it. Not really the point anyway.....

The point is it appears they also have the TRIM IT II. It mentions a 3 in 1 cutter blade ... designed to trim-chamfer-debur at the same time....which is a great feature if it works. I have no idea if the blade is carbide like the Giraud....or if it can be replaced by the Giraud blade in the event it isn't. At any rate.... simply wanted to make note of this option too http://www.eztrimit.com

While I really like my Giraud Tri-Way and have no problem recommending it .... it appears the Trim It II comes with an interchangeable caliber holders/bearings ...at a higher initial price point.

If someone ends up with the Trim It II ... I would be interested in your thoughts after you use it a little...I would particularly be interested in how much of a task it is to change the tri - blade from .223/5.56 to .308 or 30-06 for example.

either way....competition in the space looks to be working!

joelkdouglas.....I didn't look close enough to see if they make a shellholder of exact or close enough shoulder angle/diameter for your caliber...but it does look like they have more options (at the moment) than the Giraud. Might be worth a call

Well crap...wish I'd know about this before I bought my WFT a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a good way to go. It might be worth getting one anyway.

Anyone want a 30-06 WFT...make ya a helluva deal on one (slightly used of course)?

Thanks for the review greenheadcaller.

I now have processed over 1000 brass, in .223, to test drive the Giraud Tri-Way, and I love it. It's a keeper for me.

Have since become aware of another trimmer called the Trim It. It looks like it originally came out as just a cutter (like the WFT), but with a potentially better length adjustment feature. I say potentially because while a fine threaded micrometer type of adjustment sounds like it would be more accurately adjustable...I can't vouch for the Trim It because I haven't used it. Not really the point anyway.....

The point is it appears they also have the TRIM IT II. It mentions a 3 in 1 cutter blade ... designed to trim-chamfer-debur at the same time....which is a great feature if it works. I have no idea if the blade is carbide like the Giraud....or if it can be replaced by the Giraud blade in the event it isn't. At any rate.... simply wanted to make note of this option too http://www.eztrimit.com

While I really like my Giraud Tri-Way and have no problem recommending it .... it appears the Trim It II comes with an interchangeable caliber holders/bearings ...at a higher initial price point.

If someone ends up with the Trim It II ... I would be interested in your thoughts after you use it a little...I would particularly be interested in how much of a task it is to change the tri - blade from .223/5.56 to .308 or 30-06 for example.

either way....competition in the space looks to be working!

joelkdouglas.....I didn't look close enough to see if they make a shellholder of exact or close enough shoulder angle/diameter for your caliber...but it does look like they have more options (at the moment) than the Giraud. Might be worth a call
Greenhead, I have a TRIM-IT II with 4 or 5 calibers . It works great but adjusting it for each caliber is slow and tedious. Once adjusted, you can run brass thru it just as fast as you can pick one up. It trims and chamfers and deburs all at the same time. You don't change out the cutter blade. It has micrometer type adjustments. I trimmed over 2000 223 pieces of brass in a relative short time a few years ago for a PD hunt. I purchased a small cheap bench press instead of using a hand held drill. I just ordered 3 new dies for mine. Never used the Giraud but everything I have heard, you did the right thing going with it. Thanks Daniel

What is the size of the shaft that goes into drill? I have the wft. Love it but chamfer and deburr at the same time I'm in. Just was thinking about a motor. I have a small router that I don't use much. If it had a 1/4" shaft that might work. I'd bet it's bigger though.

I will measure the shaft on the TRIM-IT II, I don't think it is over .250 inches. I would be concerned with the router rpm's, not sure but thought they were FAST.

I will measure the shaft on the TRIM-IT II, I don't think it is over .250 inches. I would be concerned with the router rpm's, not sure but thought they were FAST.
Variable speed so it would be fine but the one I was thinking of is only 1/4" collet. Thank you for replying. I use my dewalt drill for the wft so I have options. My brain was just sitting in my reloading room going through ideas.

Well, for the first time in my life, I was WRONG!!! LOL The shaft on the Trim-IT is .375 inches. You might find someone that could turn it down. Thanks Daniel

I'm going to follow up on you talking me into the Giraud triway. I'm going to say it works very well. To start I bought a cheap 3/8 porter cable corded drill. Then a electric drill gimbal. Drill holder for us simple folk. That's what I typed in to search anyway. The drill has a hold on button. My dewalt drill did not. Hence the purchase of a new drill. When engaging the hold on button is was wide open at 2500 rpm. Still in specs from Giraud but seemed fast and loud. So I had a router speed control unit that I never have used. Came with something I bought used. It's a used control box. It stopped working 3 minutes in. Jumped on line and picked up another because it seemed to help out being able to slow the cutter down after ordering a new one I took the old one apart and traced the problem to the switch. Shot of wd40 and it works again. Once I played with the triway a bit and worked out in my mind how it worked. Cut a few pieces of brass and got it set for some new starline brass that was already ready to load but I didn't want to screw up any of my short supply of lapua. Set it so it just cut maybe .oo5. Went through 100 cases rather quickly. Everyone i checked was within .0005 not bad at all if I do say so myself. I then set up to just true up some new lapua brass. I ran the lapua through my full length sizing die just to make sure everything was true there. Ran them through the trimmer and wow what perfection. I am very pleased with you strong arming me to buy this trimmer. Lol!!!

Back