go big or go home....

Must agree with Touch not Squeeze.... Why damage meat when a neck or head shot will put an animal down. The guys I have hunted with for the past several year are always amazed that I have the opportunity for a head or neck shot. I try to tell them that it's not that I have the opportunity, it's that I make the opportunity. They still don't understand...

Head or neck shots are ok sometimes, but I dont know. 300-400 yards for head and neck is kinda iffy to me. More like 100-200 yards. For example this year my dad shot a pretty nice 3x3 with his 25-06, 117g SBT's at 3100fps. Range was about 100 yards. He shot the buck in the head and it dropped. As we were walking up to it, it jumped up and started hauling butt across the wheatfields. Needless to say, we chased that thing over 2 huge wheatfields before I told my dad to quit chasing the stupid thing and let it bed down. We left it alone and came back before dark. It was bedded down under a ledge of a big sagebrush and a single shot from my 222 rem finished the job. Now, my dads shot hit the buck right in the jaw pretty much blowing the jaw off. Yah the buck dropped from the shock, but it was no killing shot. I've also seen one of my cousins bucks shot in the neck high, not hitting the vertebrae and also dropping at the shot, but as soon as we were close enough for it to see us, it jumped up and hauled butt to. I would rather take a shoulder shot and anchor my animal on the spot. No tracking is required 90% of the time when you break both shoulders. Sure theres some meat damage but a little meat is better then no meat or a lost animal. I'm not saying whether people should or shoudln't take head/neck shots, I just know that I've seen 2 bad cases of it so far and the ranges were only 100 yards. I for one dont take head/neck shots unless its under 100 yards, but thats just me. I dont care if someone else takes head/neck shots at 300-400 yards. If they can do it, good for them. I'm not gonna start a pissin match over where they choose to shoot them.

Jaw shot huh?

Yup has happened a lot!

Nope behind the shoulders for me.

I was speaking solely of a neck shot or behind the shoulders would be fine. In my opinion, I think these shots are quick kills. I feel shooting the shoulders, just physically disables them, and sooner or later they die. I have never in my entire life seen a deer not die within a couple yards, from a neck shot. With that being said, you paid the money for the tag, gun, etc. I am not going to tell you how to hunt. This is just conversation. I don't want anyone to feel like I am shaming anyone for the way they hunt, just giving my opinion. This is one of those conversations that a person has to agree to disagree on. :grin:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your opinion about something as long as we do not get phanatical about it. :lol:

Back