Going to British Columbia to chase moose

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
So, I was fortunate to come into a little extra money and decided it best be spent on a moose hunt in BC. I am in Idaho and will be driving up. The outfitter is based just outside of Prince George area. This will be a 10 day horseback hunt approx. 16-20 miles from nearest road.

Done a lot of research, asked a lot questions, and feel this will be a good fit. Looking for a good, hard working wilderness hunt with a chance at a 40-50" bull. All in all, I think what this outfitter offers fills that need. Also, looked at this option as it seems the next step up (full Alaska Yukon moose hunt) quickly gets into the 15k-20k+ range that is way out of budget for me.

Any information, experiences, things to look for anyone wants to share? Anything about the drive? I plan to put a freezer in the back of my truck with my Honda generator to haul back the meat. I will be taking my newly being built .338 win mag as there are grizzly's in the area and a 225 grain A Frame or Partition is good insurance. Also, the guide outfitter was a little hesitant when I inquired about bringing my trusty 270.

Thanks in advance
Adam

You'll love BC, Adam. This can be an excellent hunt. No doubt, the excitement will build over the coming months, culminating in downing a good bull. You're likely a ways south to get into Alaska/Yukon moose, but the Canada moose can be quite a handful when you have to pack them out. That is one advantage of a guided hunt. Looking forward to hearing of your adventure.

Adam, you'll enjoy your hunt in the Prince George area. When are going? Late August hunts can be warm, and the bugs can be bad (get yourself a Thermocell with plenty of extra refills). September gets a little cooler, and after a few frosts, the bugs tame down. The rut will be on mid-October, which makes it easier to call moose in, cooler temps and no bugs! Be prepared for an early snow in October, as it is possible.

Your 338 Win Mag will work just fine. The 270 Win with 150 gr bullets are plenty good enough for moose, and in case of grizzly, better than nothing (and your guide should have the means to sort put problem bears, but carry bear spray too). Plenty of moose and nears have fallen to the 30-30 in the hands of a knowledgable rifleman. Use the rifle that you are most comfortable with. The moose in that area will average 700-800 lbs, with very large bulls pushing towards 1000 lbs. 40-50" bulls is a very good expectation of trophy size.

Lots of good fishing for trout in that area, lakes, rivers and streams; don't forget to pack a collapsable rod and a few lures. The blueberries and huckleberries will be ripe in August, and are a tasty treat during the day while hunting. This is where you will need to watch for black and grizzly bears (suggest getting a black bear tag too). A folding slingshot in your pack will also work on ruffed grouse.

Depending on your travel routes for coming/going, suggest travelling into/out of PG through Jasper on one leg of the trip, and through Banff. Great scenic route.

Any other questions, you can PM me for my phone number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should be a terrific hunt!

No - I have no knowledge of moose hunting to share. Just really happy that you're doing this. It's something I'd like to do someday. Your hunt sounds GREAT!

Regards, Guy

I hunted moose in 2003 up in BC. Did the same thing as you, we drove up. At that time there was a short ban on beef coming across the border due to mad cow disease. It got sorted out and the US allowed wild game to be brought across.

There was a guy who hunted the week before we did. He had some of his stuff turned into sausage and pepperoni at a local butcher shop in Prince George. It wasn't done by the time he was going to leave so he asked if I could pick it up and drop it off to him on my way down. When I got to the border the USDA confiscated it and said you could not bring processed meat products across the border. Even though I had printed off a bunch of paperwork off the USDA site stating that I could, they pulled some obscure paper out of the binder that didn't even have the USDA logo on it. The paper stated processed meat products cannot be brought across the border.

Either way, the guy lost a cooler full of pepperoni and sausage and whatever he paid to have it done. So make sure you jump on their website and print off some paperwork just prior to your departure to make sure nothing changes.

That being said, that will be one hell of a trip!

Congratulations and good luck.

Gil has given you excellent advise on all points, rifle, bears, travel, fishing, especially the "bugs" information and guidance. I have nothing to add, except I always smile when someone mentions that they will be "X" number of miles from a road. However, I do understand your point and I think a horseback trip off and away from the beaten path will be a very enjoyable part of the trip.

Wow I wish you the best! Hope you have an amazing time and keep us posted as things go along! We need to see load work-up and the whole bit!! Pictures, must have pictures.

I wouldn't worry about the cartridge choice if it were me. My own brother took something like 9/13 moose with a 270 Winchester, and the last one was up near the area you're going. Come to think of it he's not even a great shot under stress around a big game animal either. So I would use what you can shoot the best and not worry about caliber size too much.

Moose are not that tough to put down if the bullet goes into the boiler room.

Appreciate all the feedback and will share all the pics and stories. I also will be sharing some of my fitness journey to prepare for the hunt...

I was a college and semi pro baseball player and always was in great shape and somewhat of a workout junkie - Always in that 190-195 range. In the last 9 years of marriage, kids, and an office job, I ballooned up to 262 pounds as of last July - I knew I had to make a change and was able to drop 30 pounds down to 232 for last October's elk season. For this hunt, I have made it a goal to get back to under 200 pounds as I set at 230 right now. I have started a strict diet and workout regimen. I firmly believe that this part of hunt preparation is just as important as any other!!!

As far a rifle choice - I have no qualms about my 270 shooting 129 grain Barnes LRX on a Canadian moose, but at the same time, I don't want to create any waives with the Outfitter ahead of time. Plus the .338 should be right at home in moose/grizzly country.

(As a side note, I just ordered 50 new brass and some 225 grain partitions to start load development once I receive the rifle)

ID8,
Last year I drove from Oregon to Alberta for a moose hunt.
We drove up through Spokane and Banff/jasper the last week of September.
It was a awesome drive and I would recommend it if it works for you.
Good luck.

Camo

Adam congratulations on booking your Canadian Moose hunt :wink: I am sure that you will have a great experience!! That area is quite rugged so you will no doubt have a good challenge. I am looking for to some great stories and photos.
That 338win mag will do you well there (y).

Blessings,
Dan

No need to defend your .338 Win. It's a great cartridge!

And this mule deer hunter has not one, but TWO .375's for some strange reason. Danged if I can figure it out. I just like 'em.

Guy

Sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime and well planned. Best of luck.

If you are a horseman disregard what I am going to say. Seems like a long time in the saddle . If saddle sores are a possibility I have been told by a horse vet lady friend that going to a bicycle shop and buying padded underwear that bike riders use will help with saddle sores. No personal experience with this option, just passing it along.

Having flown around that area some, I used to Stay in McBride(just east of PG) some, bringing our aircraft down to Hamilton, Mt.
I would ALLWAYS, see more game flying within that 100 miles north n south
Of McBride on backside of the Rocky's than ANYWHERE else on the trip!
Dam good hunting around there!!! Some of the prettiest country
You can hunt in NA is in BC Canada.
And next time put in for a permit here! We have plenty of 50" moose left. Lol.

I think you will have a great hunt. I wouldn't be worried about using a 270win, but what better way to blood a new rifle?
Just make sure your comfortable shooting the 338, especially off hand.
Only piece of advice I can further give that hasn't previously been mentioned is to try and get your butt in a saddle a few times leading up to your hunt. If you ride in 16 miles on day one you won't walk for a week , lol. If you could find a place to ride for at least 2-3 hrs about once a week for 3-4 weeks before your trip your body will thank you.
As always make sure your paperwork is up to date and do not bring a side arm if any kind as here in commy land that's a No-No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be sure, Earle, lots of moose around McBride and through the Rocky Mountain Trench. There are a lot of moose father north where this hunt is scheduled. (y)

I bet he will have a wonderful trip, used to run into those outfitters at the shows, and they are some great guys guiding BC,Mike.
Hope he gets a real bruiser!
As far as what gun to carry up there; as much as I love a 270W, I really can't think of a better choice to hunt moose/elk with than a.338WM!(I am NOT going to bring up you know what!!! :mrgreen: ) I have cart wheeled a bunch of them, with the old Federal Premium 210 NP, it just works peeeerfect on swamp donkeys!

Sounds like a great trip. Either rifle will work, but if you're not using that .338 for a moose...what will you use it for!?!?

Moose hunting is a great deal of fun and a great deal of work if you're successful.

Back