Going to need some some good glass

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Morning All,

I am planning on a TGR in either .30-06 or 7mm/08, and when I invest in something I make sure I every everything lined up so I know how much I need to save. I am looking for a good piece of glass to top off the TGR; if its in the '06 I would like to bring the weight up to 8 or more pounds loaded.

I like the idea of a fixed power, as in the Leupold VX3 6x as I use a 4X ACOG to hit targets out to 500. But, a variable power would be nice, and I am looking at a VX3 3.5-10X with the CDS or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X...

Im open to suggestions, any and all. My price range for the scope is between $400-$600

Thanks,

A.J.

Give some consideration to the Minox ZA5 2-10X40 or even the ZA5 1.5-8X32. Alternatively, and at somewhat lower cost, is the Minox ZA3 3-9X40. These scopes are a bargain currently. There is nothing wrong with the Vortex line, either.

I've got a 6x Leupold (36mm obj) atop my .30-06 rifle and a 6x Leupold (42mm obj) on my .25-06 rifle.

They have both proven to be rugged scopes with good glass. My 36mm scope is older and the glass quality, image clarity and low-light capability are not up to the standards of the 42mm scope, but are good.

The 42mm version is my absolute favorite scope. I had a 4.5-14x Leupold on my .25-06 for a couple of years and replaced it with the 6x. Have never regretted that swap.

The 42mm 6x has a very generous "eye box" and is also very good in low light. It's my favorite hunting scope. I've used it to a quarter mile or so on coyotes, and 400 yards on mule deer, no problem. Also good enough for rather short range/quick reaction shots. Not ideal, like a 1.5-5x might be, but good.

Give the two different 6x Leupolds a close look. There are different options for reticles and knobs that may interest you.

I could see hunting the world with a TGR .30-06 and a 6x Leupold, using fine Nosler hunting bullets... That would be a terrific all-around setup!

FWIW, Guy

Does Leupold make the fixed power with their CDS system? I think that would be an awesome combo.

I looked at the Minox online and liked what I saw. I remember Dave Petzal had an article about them and he raved at their quality. How is their BDC reticle?

ajvigs":2eovcafd said:
Does Leupold make the fixed power with their CDS system? I think that would be an awesome combo.

You can order it any way you want. Just call them
1-800-Leupold

I would endorse the Minox 3-9X40 BDC. I have purchased this scope earlier this fall. Like what I see so far, would like it better if it had a slightly bigger field of view.
Keith

Wils65x55 how is the BDC reticle on the Minox? is it easy to match the ballistics of your pet round to?

Have not done any shooting beyond 150 yards yet. I don't see any ballistics issues with it and a 280 Remington. Sorry I cant help you more.
Keith

The Minox chart lists the MOA between the hash marks on different power ranges, so you can match up your trajectory to your cartridge. I have two of them, one is a 2-10 and the other is a 3x9. Great scopes and you won't likely beat the price.

That 1.5x8 Minox has alot going for it as well. Hard to beat the Conquests as well, plus you get a little more field of view.

SJB358":3w3z8wuz said:
The Minox chart lists the MOA between the hash marks on different power ranges, so you can match up your trajectory to your cartridge. I have two of them, one is a 2-10 and the other is a 3x9. Great scopes and you won't likely beat the price.

That 1.5x8 Minox has alot going for it as well. Hard to beat the Conquests as well, plus you get a little more field of view.

How far you've come in such a short time, Scotty! Your eyes have been truly opened. You are correct, of course. However, it wasn't that long ago that you were touting other scopes as the only glass that would grace your rifles. The Minox and the Zeiss Conquests are fine glass, and likely represent the epitome of value in good glass at the present time.

DrMike":2ysatnds said:
SJB358":2ysatnds said:

How far you've come in such a short time, Scotty! Your eyes have been truly opened. You are correct, of course. However, it wasn't that long ago that you were touting other scopes as the only glass that would grace your rifles. The Minox and the Zeiss Conquests are fine glass, and likely represent the epitome of value in good glass at the present time.

I blame Joel. He sent me the first Minox and said "try it". It has been downhill ever since.

Thanks so much everyone, now I have to ask what is easier; using dials to dial in different range settings (CDS) or using a ballistic reticle system to engage targets at different yardages (Zeiss Rapid Z/Minox BDC)?

And does anyone know of any companies that make aftermarket dials for scopes such as the Minox or Zeiss that are like the Leuplod CDS system if I just opt for a plain duplex reticle?

I'm old school, so I don't do as much long range shooting as others. I'm comfortable with various ballistic reticle systems. There is no question, however, that if you have a properly calibrated dial with appropriate erectors, it is as simple to shoot long range as dialing in the range and pulling the trigger. Greybull makes a dial system for Leupold, though I'm uncertain whether they make a similar dial for other scopes.

ajvigs":pwgyjwek said:
Thanks so much everyone, now I have to ask what is easier; using dials to dial in different range settings (CDS) or using a ballistic reticle system to engage targets at different yardages (Zeiss Rapid Z/Minox BDC)?

And does anyone know of any companies that make aftermarket dials for scopes such as the Minox or Zeiss that are like the Leuplod CDS system if I just opt for a plain duplex reticle?

Kenton makes dials for both you mentioned. I will likely be sending a Zeiss out for the dial pretty soon. I have run the BDC's in the past, but I really prefer dialing for the exact range. BDC's are good to about 500 for my comfort zone.

http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/minox

Some interesting points brought up here; I will have to think about this one.

How are the Minox's compared to the Zeiss BTW?

Minox and Conquests compare very favourably. Minox and Victory scopes will demonstrate a significant difference, and a significant differential in price.

Mike nailed it there, the Minox's and Conquests are about the same to my eyes. The Zeiss win's on FOV, but if you can take a little less, the Minox's are a great buy.

Back