Need advice on new scope

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I need a new scope for my 7mag. It currently has a swarovski z3 3.5 x 10 which is getting moved down to my 6.5x55 sako finnlight. I have had several vx3 leupold and like them also liked z3 and zeiss conquest.

Want to step up to a variable with 12-15 on the max end. Was looking at a new z5, new vx3, new vx6 or a demo Schmidt and bender. Not familiar with new zeiss but would welcome any experience or opinion.

Also I am not a big dialer would prefer the reticle and hold over. My z3 has the brh reticle. Also any thoughts on why dialing is better than hold with a reticle?

The glass on the scopes you mentioned will please you. Without question, the glass in the S&B and the Swarovski are top of the line. You can't go wrong with either of these scopes. The VX6 and Zeiss HD5 are only slightly behind in quality. Most people wouldn't perceive a difference until the end of shooting light or just before shooting light. I have or have had each of these scopes, save for the S&B. My preference (I'm a scope snob) is the S&B or the Swarovski, followed by the VX6, followed in turn by the HD5 and the finally the VX3. Unless you are shooting beyond 450 yards or so, the dial will not really be a help to you.

You might also look at the Leica ER 3.5-14x42. Dropped last year to focus on their illuminated only line, this is an awesome scope and the close-outs available may be among the best deals in scopes now. Glass is on par with the Swaro Z6 and S&B; it's a compact, lightweight package for a hunting rifle; is one of the few scopes out there with a hydrophobic coating; and has a variety of reticles available. (If you like holdover reticles, give a hard look to their IBS reticle -- I've got that on my rifle and really like it for hunting. Very crisp, clear reticle that works well in low light, uses standard MOA spacing on the holdover hashes, and its design naturally draws the eye to the aim point. Scope is available in capped turrets, or target turret on the elevation only. "OpticsAuthority" is handling the closeout sale for Leica, and is offering great deals. This is by far my favorite hunting scope.

Dialing usually has more precise increments.

For instance a scope with a "hold over" type reticle may be graduated in 1 MOA increments for each hash mark. Or greater.

When dialing, that scope will likely offer 1/4 MOA increments.

So, if you need precisely 63 quarter MOA "clicks" for a 600 yard shot, you can dial 63 clicks instead of holding over with the 15 MOA hash mark. 15 MOA is of course the same as 60 "clicks."

Holding over is usually faster and often "close enough." For more precision, dialing usually works better.

I usually dial for long range shots, and hold-off for windage adjustments.

Sometimes I'll just hold-over for shots, if the range isn't too extreme.

FWIW, Guy

Thanks for the info. I went to cabelas and looked the zeiss, vx6 and the swarovski z3. They didn't have the z5 or the Schmidt and bender. I have never had anything with magnification greater than 10 it seemed both were not as clear when at the max power setting do you have to refocus them for the greater magnifications??

Didn't like the zeiss for the same reason I didn't like my old conquest too small of an eye box it seemed you had to be at the perfect distance to see the whole sight picture that might be a bigger problem on the higher magnification? Swarovski and vx 6 were more forgiving in the eyebox. I am really not liking any of them on the highest settings.

I would consider the Zeiss 3-12x42 HD5. The eyebox on the HD5 is larger than the Conquest was. Focal distance is not nearly as critical as well, even at 15X.

ldg397":o9btvqhf said:
I have never had anything with magnification greater than 10 it seemed both were not as clear when at the max power setting do you have to refocus them for the greater magnifications?

Yes, they have to be adjusted to your eye. Focus on a tree, or a bird, or some other item that allows you to observe fine detail that is situated about one hundred yards away. Adjust the ocular to maximum clarity for your eye. In the interior of the store, look into the darkest corner you can find to see if you can distinguish differences in detail revealed through the scope. Now, look toward the side of the light to see if flare is better or worse with a particular scope. In full light, there won't be much (if any) difference in the scopes you are looking through. Hence, look for something that permits you to distinguish what you are getting. Focus on a merchandise tag with the scope and see whether you can read it with the various scopes you are considering. If the power is more than twelve or fourteen, you will want to ensure that the scope you choose has adjustment for parallax.

I have a VX6 2-12 and it's a great scope. You could get it with the LR Duplex or maybe the B&C reticle. Very forgiving, competes well along side my Swaro.. Price is pretty good in some places as well. You can't beat the eye relief either.

My only concern would be matching the scope to the caliber as far as ruggedness is concerned. a VX 6, or equivalent would match the heavier calibers better, for what it is worth?

Back