Good Enough! - 300WSM Load checks

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I went to the pit and Chrono and ck some loads for my new Savage 12 VLP in the 300WSM. It was so windy that it was knocking my target over. I moved the target to 50yds behind a gravel pile. Wind was not as bad from there to target.

As it turned out I forget the mount for my chrono after I set everything up. Oh well!! I re-shot the load of 66gn of RL17 and it was fine. 67gns and bolt was STIFF for giggles I shot one at 68gns and stiff is not the right word. I had to smack bolt to get a lift and get it out.

Back to the 66gn loads with 180BT all at 50yds due to wind beyond gravel pile.

View attachment Sav 12 - Jan 2013asm.jpg

View attachment Sav 12 - Jan 2013bsm.jpg

View attachment Sav 12 - Jan 2013csm.jpg

I don't know the fps but with 26" barrel but I'm hoping for 3050 - 3100
Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to get out again.
Even though only 50yds I'm pretty happy with the load and barrel. I'm going to stretch out in a couple of weeks and work on the drop chart.

Groups look good. Will be interesting to see how they hold up at longer ranges.

Nice!

With my .300WSM and 180gr bullets 66gr of RL-17 is pretty much max and I get right at 3k fps. With 150s I'm shooting 68.7 or 68.8 for 3300 fps... nothing shabby at all.

My rifle shoots better if I back it off to around 2925 to 2950 with the 180.

RL-17 is THE powder in the WSMs IMHO.

The Savage accuracy mystique strikes again. I've been running the 150 gr. Aubonds at 3350 fps. Real good long range energy.

Very nice. I ran some RL17 as well. Does really well for speed and accuracy outta my rifle as well.

They are not the prettiest rifle but I have not seen
very many that didn't shoot well :)

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,
Yea I know - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
Savage 12 SS with HS-Precision Stock and Vortex Viper PST scope.
With the new barrel nut and bolt releases on some models the lines looking better. This model 12 is still the old bolt release on the side.
View attachment Sav 12 VLP.jpg

Re 50 yards - it's interesting - I sometimes use the 50 yard line to check on my loads & rifles. I do it out of convenience. May be working with groups of pistol shooters at 50 yards and closer, and it's easy to take a few shots with the rifle between groups sometimes.

A good group at 50 yards doesn't always mean good groups farther downrange - but when I get a bad group at 50 yards, I've never found it to improve at longer distances!

50 yards is also not a bad starting spot for sighting-in either.

The .300 WSM is an interesting cartridge. Wasn't sure we "needed" it, but it's a good cartridge that works very well.

Regards, Guy

Guy,
Yea the 50yds happened because I was out to check loads. Forgot the tri-pod mount - grrrr. I do have one 3 shot group I took at 100yds and it was 2 holes and .41" centers. I know this is just the start and I'm just encouraged that it's starting out well.

I don't really have any other times to fall back on about such a short range group and what will happen at 100 and out. I use short 40-50yds to get a new scope on paper and then 100.

Question: I've heard of bullets stabilizing at longer ranges than what they are at 100 yds. Does the opposite occur where you might be tight / stable short and then really open up? Of course assuming the twist rate is correct for the bullet and barrel.

Bill

What I'm thinking it is, is that the inconsistencies in velocity or vertical spread don't show up until longer ranges. At 50 yards (or even 100) these might not be visible. At 300 there are signs. At 600 they can be seen easily.

Got it.
I haven't done enough mid to long 500 -100yds to experience much of what I've read / learned. Long pokes is a recent activity of mine. Having fun with it though.
Bill

Back